Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 198 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #676
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Are you a Nikon salesman?
...and the plot thickens......I do hope he gets paid for his "efforts". It would be a shame to waste so much energy otherwise...

I realized after a few posts that I had to skip Frater's postings to protect my sanity...

04-22-2015, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #677
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
...and the plot thickens......

I realized after a few posts that I had to skip Frater's postings to protect my sanity...
He wants to have the last word, he can have it. Ignored
04-22-2015, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #678
Veteran Member

New lenses, new cameras, full frame likely - wow. I bought the K3 and was not aware of the HOYA debacle. I had concerns about the future, especially when I could not get a decent 1.4 TC. RICOH has sure been busy turning things around. The ship is on a good course. There is always room for improvement but it is feels good to see all the developments and new products.
04-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #679
Veteran Member

Ok, forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of wifi and GPS on a camera? I mean are you using the camera to navigate the woods while posting pictures on Facebook?

I guess I just don't get the point. Im 24 so I guess you would think I love all the tech. But I grew up with a simple film camera, and frankly Im not interested in anything that doesn't help me take better photos.

04-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #680
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Ok, forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of wifi and GPS on a camera? I mean are you using the camera to navigate the woods while posting pictures on Facebook?

I guess I just don't get the point. Im 24 so I guess you would think I love all the tech. But I grew up with a simple film camera, and frankly Im not interested in anything that doesn't help me take better photos.
Some people take hike out and take landscapes shots in the wilderness. Sometimes its nice to see where it was taken.

As for wifi, there are the occasional times I'd like to upload a shot and share it with friends (like my phone can do, except with good IQ). I'd like to see that in the Q-S1 more than my K-3, but to each his own.
04-22-2015, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #681
Veteran Member

Well, this is the first step to wireless remote control that sends your camera out to the best locations on its own to take great pictures!
04-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #682
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using GPS your EXIF file will include the coordinates where the camera was located at the time of each shot. The compass will allow EXIF to include direction the camera was facing. That information is 'attached' to the image in a side file (EXIF) so that you (and if necessary a customer) will always know precisely where and when the shot was taken. Formerly we had to keep detailed manual logs of all that and either attach it to prints, index it using negative strip numbering systems or manually enter the info into EXIF.
WiFi is a different debate. I might use WiFi to remotely control a camera using a device such as a tablet - and maybe to preview jpeg's on a tablet in a studio session (clients like to do that - you know, the people who pay $10,000 plus model fees to shoot an ad?). Wi-Fi tethering has some advantages over wired tethering. In other applications wired tethering is better (Prom-type location shoots).

Using WiFi to transfer files is much too slow. Using WiFi to upload to Facebook is infantile.

04-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #683
Pentaxian

Think beyond the process of image taking. Many people, private but also/especially professionals, take large amounts of images and need sophisticated systems for organising, tagging, archiving, filtering and searching them. Geotags, especially with additional information as the direction and maybe even roll, pitch, yaw, like some sensors in cameras can provide to be saved in exif, can be of high benefit for that.
Imagine to draw a rectangle on google maps and query your collection for all photos taken there.
04-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #684
Veteran Member

The short answer:

Astro-photography

Last edited by Stavri; 04-22-2015 at 02:06 PM.
04-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #685
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would use the astro tracking aspect of GPS a lot quicker than wi fi. My experience with in camera jpegs is that while they are OK, I seldom want to post something to flickr (or anywhere else) before seeing the image decent sized on a calibrated monitor and doing at least some quick levels and sharpening.

I would think fewer folks who shoot with a K3 would be likely to upload directly to the internet without editing, but I guess I could be wrong.
04-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #686
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The small point-source flash was added to SLR cameras about the same time auto focus was added and mediocre f-stop variable-focus kit lenses replaced fast prime kit lenses. At the time, I thought the manufacturers were trying to make it easier for point-and-shoot users to upgrade to SLRs. Maybe they have finally reached the point of understanding that you can pack only so much into a box, so Pentax is trying to do fewer things but do them very well. After all, part of the ambiance of SLR has always been that they provide a basic system that does a very good job, and then the user can add components based on his/her needs. Personally, I have never found optical trigger to work reliably for me, so I would much much rather have an RF trigger.
What does the history have to do with it? I started out when aperture-preferred was an advanced mode. For a long time, I ignored the on-board flash in preference to use of an external flash (not to mention that the *istD had circuit board problems where the flash would drain the battery well beyond what should have been required); then I found it helpful for some specific situations in ways that other supplemental lighting further from the lens could not fulfill - including some macro and other various challenging situations. For those of us who need to craft light solutions in a portable way that includes some fill, the on-board can be a huge benefit. I've owned an advanced dSLR that did not have one - and I missed it.

As for not reliable? Really, you haven't had an RF battery fail, bad connection, let alone the myriad problems inherent in pTTL? A nice solution would be for Pentax to restore real TTL by putting a sensor in the body - that would be a step in the right direction. Instead, they abandoned the far-superior legacy TTL version in the crappy, decontented new flashes. In any event, a decent optical slave (such as the Wein HS) is virtually 100% reliable from a wide spread of angles - with a very low trigger; the only problem are situations where you have other flashes triggering. A decent optical slave gets very reliable results.
04-22-2015, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #687
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of wifi and GPS on a camera?.
One of the key things is being able to automagically categorize your photos by both "when" and "where". Apple's new Photos application will allow you to slice and dice (and organize) your photos in multiple ways including organizing by GEO location. E.g. I want to see all the photos taken in NYC. Having more metadata (i.e. the "where") makes photo management better. I will probably leave it on all the time unless it significantly changes the battery usage for the worse.

YMMV

Michael
04-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #688
Pentaxian

Too bad that Sony has a big announcement tomorrow as well. Is there a fair coming up? The K-3 II might get snowed under when an A7r II and a A6100 are announced with a new rx-1 or 100 to top it of.
04-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #689
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Too bad that Sony has a big announcement tomorrow as well. Is there a fair coming up? The K-3 II might get snowed under when an A7r II and a A6100 are announced with a new rx-1 or 100 to top it of.
I wouldn't want to be the Sony product manager tomorrow. Dude - BAD timing.
04-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #690
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wouldn't want to be the Sony product manager tomorrow. Dude - BAD timing.
Yes and No. If they announce new sensors/camera features for release this summer/fall chances are the K3ii/FF will have them. I was told that both the K3ii and the FF would have the latest offerings from Sony (the FF unveiling was set so late in the year for this particular reason, i.e. waiting on the latest sensor to become available)