Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #676
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
If they don't make a tilting-articulated display, I will skip this K-3II and I will make my own tilting display, at almost no cost. Just wait a little
Mirror. Gaffer Tape. Done.

04-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #677
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
04-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #678
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But then there would be a chorus of usuals complaining about the cost of "real" gaffer's tape and the superiority of mirrorless gaffer's tape, EVF gaffer's tape, etc. and the beat goes on……...
04-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #679
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
but then there would be a chorus of usuals complaining about the cost of "real" gaffer's tape and the superiority of mirrorless gaffer's tape, evf gaffer's tape, etc. And the beat goes on……...
rotfl

04-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #680
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
simply because there are competitors out like the D7200, which offers both flash and wireless as part of its package without bullying anyone into anything. Maybe Ricoh didn't account for this, because the D7200 and the K-3ii were parallel developments.
Are you a Nikon salesman?
04-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #681
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Are you a Nikon salesman?
...and the plot thickens......I do hope he gets paid for his "efforts". It would be a shame to waste so much energy otherwise...

I realized after a few posts that I had to skip Frater's postings to protect my sanity...
04-22-2015, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #682

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
...and the plot thickens......

I realized after a few posts that I had to skip Frater's postings to protect my sanity...
He wants to have the last word, he can have it. Ignored
04-22-2015, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #683
Loyal Site Supporter

New lenses, new cameras, full frame likely - wow. I bought the K3 and was not aware of the HOYA debacle. I had concerns about the future, especially when I could not get a decent 1.4 TC. RICOH has sure been busy turning things around. The ship is on a good course. There is always room for improvement but it is feels good to see all the developments and new products.

04-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #684
Pentaxian

Ok, forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of wifi and GPS on a camera? I mean are you using the camera to navigate the woods while posting pictures on Facebook?

I guess I just don't get the point. Im 24 so I guess you would think I love all the tech. But I grew up with a simple film camera, and frankly Im not interested in anything that doesn't help me take better photos.
04-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #685
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Ok, forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of wifi and GPS on a camera? I mean are you using the camera to navigate the woods while posting pictures on Facebook?

I guess I just don't get the point. Im 24 so I guess you would think I love all the tech. But I grew up with a simple film camera, and frankly Im not interested in anything that doesn't help me take better photos.
Some people take hike out and take landscapes shots in the wilderness. Sometimes its nice to see where it was taken.

As for wifi, there are the occasional times I'd like to upload a shot and share it with friends (like my phone can do, except with good IQ). I'd like to see that in the Q-S1 more than my K-3, but to each his own.
04-22-2015, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #686
Site Supporter

Well, this is the first step to wireless remote control that sends your camera out to the best locations on its own to take great pictures!
04-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #687
Lens Buying Addict

Using GPS your EXIF file will include the coordinates where the camera was located at the time of each shot. The compass will allow EXIF to include direction the camera was facing. That information is 'attached' to the image in a side file (EXIF) so that you (and if necessary a customer) will always know precisely where and when the shot was taken. Formerly we had to keep detailed manual logs of all that and either attach it to prints, index it using negative strip numbering systems or manually enter the info into EXIF.
WiFi is a different debate. I might use WiFi to remotely control a camera using a device such as a tablet - and maybe to preview jpeg's on a tablet in a studio session (clients like to do that - you know, the people who pay $10,000 plus model fees to shoot an ad?). Wi-Fi tethering has some advantages over wired tethering. In other applications wired tethering is better (Prom-type location shoots).

Using WiFi to transfer files is much too slow. Using WiFi to upload to Facebook is infantile.
04-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #688

Think beyond the process of image taking. Many people, private but also/especially professionals, take large amounts of images and need sophisticated systems for organising, tagging, archiving, filtering and searching them. Geotags, especially with additional information as the direction and maybe even roll, pitch, yaw, like some sensors in cameras can provide to be saved in exif, can be of high benefit for that.
Imagine to draw a rectangle on google maps and query your collection for all photos taken there.
04-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #689
Site Supporter

The short answer:

Astro-photography

Last edited by Stavri; 04-22-2015 at 02:06 PM.
04-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #690
Loyal Site Supporter

I would use the astro tracking aspect of GPS a lot quicker than wi fi. My experience with in camera jpegs is that while they are OK, I seldom want to post something to flickr (or anywhere else) before seeing the image decent sized on a calibrated monitor and doing at least some quick levels and sharpening.

I would think fewer folks who shoot with a K3 would be likely to upload directly to the internet without editing, but I guess I could be wrong.