Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 06:51 AM   #751
retired nerd
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,308
QuoteOriginally posted by CptDibble Quote
Personally I'm a little bit disappointed that the features of the new mid range camera KS-2 (articulated screen and nfc/wifi) haven't made it into the top of the range refresh. I'm sure Pentax didn't want to devote a whole lot of engineering time to the K3-II while working on the FF.
What we have here seems to be the body that Pentax has been using to prototype new features going into the FF. The pentaprism hump on this camera matches what we've seen on the FF mockup.
It seems like a lost opportunity but if you're a K5 owner, this is a nice jump. As a K3 owner, I'm not sure I'd notice a whole lot with the same 8.3 fps and super resolution only available for landscape/tripod work. I'm losing a flash that I rarely/never use for a GPS receiver that I'll probably never use either.
Apparently I am unusual around here. I see two markets for APS-C cameras - "enthusiast" (like me) and "pro", and I see certain features as being more appropriate for one than for the other. The main distinguishing feature is the amount of money available. For example, I have never spent more than $700 on a camera (that was 20 years ago, so because of inflation, I should be willing to spend more than that now). Thus, although I might be very interested, you won't see me buying $2300 lenses (in fact, my rule of thumb is that I seldom buy a lens that costs more than my camera). The relevance here is that I also see certain features as fitting each market. In particular, I have always viewed the built-in flash and flippy screen as fitting into the "E" market, so I wasn't surprised to see both excluded from this camera. I also expect a "P" camera to be black, so you can recognize a pro when you see one (which is why I think an other-colored camera can cause people to ignore me when I'm trying to take discreet pictures). I was surprised to see WiFi lacking - as I indicated on an earlier comment, I'm guessing that their engineering team had their hands full, and there is only so much room inside a camera body. Yes, modern electronics seem to be small, but they add up over time, and they have to be arranged to they (including antennae) don't interfere with each other. I am certain there was also someone whose job was to watch heat build-up and someone else who was watching power usage.

QuoteOriginally posted by CptDibble Quote
Once feature that no one ever mentions, but would be a bit of a game changer, would be to integrate a flash radio trigger in the body. Put in Pentax specific PTTL remote flash triggering via a built in radio and sell a hotshoe stand with a built in receiver for the existing flashes. Or maybe emulate/support the most popular transmitters like Pocketwizard, Cactus and Elinchrom inside the camera and offer a camera bundle with some matching receivers. The functionality in the body could be enabled by buying a code unique to your camera's serial no. and out of the box, you could trigger studio flashes. My Elinchrom studio lights have built in receivers and it's so handy. When you have to set up a white screen, lights, a tripod etc, every step that you eliminate makes the camera desirable for mobile photographers. The people who spend their days going out to schools taking group photos or baby shots for a living.
I'm sorry - I tried to mention RF every time someone else mentioned flash. If I understand correctly, Canon has their own RF protocol, and their newest cameras can all be a master for that, apart from the built-in flash; that is why I was surprised at the Pentax users who depend on the tiny point-source flash to trigger optically-aware flashes. Yes, Pentax should either develop their own system or (because of their size) license one from someone else, and then stuff that inside the camera shell also.

04-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #752
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,480
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Apparently I am unusual around here. I see two markets for APS-C cameras - "enthusiast" (like me) and "pro", and I see certain features as being more appropriate for one than for the other. The main distinguishing feature is the amount of money available. For example, I have never spent more than $700 on a camera (that was 20 years ago, so because of inflation, I should be willing to spend more than that now). Thus, although I might be very interested, you won't see me buying $2300 lenses (in fact, my rule of thumb is that I seldom buy a lens that costs more than my camera). The relevance here is that I also see certain features as fitting each market. In particular, I have always viewed the built-in flash and flippy screen as fitting into the "E" market, so I wasn't surprised to see both excluded from this camera. I also expect a "P" camera to be black, so you can recognize a pro when you see one (which is why I think an other-colored camera can cause people to ignore me when I'm trying to take discreet pictures). I was surprised to see WiFi lacking - as I indicated on an earlier comment, I'm guessing that their engineering team had their hands full, and there is only so much room inside a camera body. Yes, modern electronics seem to be small, but they add up over time, and they have to be arranged to they (including antennae) don't interfere with each other. I am certain there was also someone whose job was to watch heat build-up and someone else who was watching power usage.

I'm sorry - I tried to mention RF every time someone else mentioned flash. If I understand correctly, Canon has their own RF protocol, and their newest cameras can all be a master for that, apart from the built-in flash; that is why I was surprised at the Pentax users who depend on the tiny point-source flash to trigger optically-aware flashes. Yes, Pentax should either develop their own system or (because of their size) license one from someone else, and then stuff that inside the camera shell also.

Indeed. The lack of flash makes no difference for me; I either have a unit installed or remotely with some wireless connection.

I think we will see more differentiation like this.
04-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #753
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,753
There's a K-S2 for that.
04-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #754
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4
K3II developed with or without Olympus?


Last edited by Parallax; 04-23-2015 at 07:45 AM.
04-23-2015, 07:24 AM   #755
retired nerd
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,308
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Apparently I am unusual around here. I see two markets for APS-C cameras - "enthusiast" (like me) and "pro", and I see certain features as being more appropriate for one than for the other... The relevance here is that I also see certain features as fitting each market. In particular, I have always viewed the built-in flash and flippy screen as fitting into the "E" market, so I wasn't surprised to see both excluded from this camera. I also expect a "P" camera to be black, so you can recognize a pro when you see one (which is why I think an other-colored camera can cause people to ignore me when I'm trying to take discreet pictures)
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Indeed. The lack of flash makes no difference for me; I either have a unit installed or remotely with some wireless connection.
I think we will see more differentiation like this.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's a K-S2 for that.
Yes, that is part of what I was trying to say.
04-23-2015, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
JimC1101's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fremont, Ca
Photos: Albums
Posts: 395
Original Poster
Well, at least Pentax solved the problem of the flash sync speed of only being 1/180. It is now 0.
04-23-2015, 07:31 AM - 2 Likes   #757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,019
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Well, at least Pentax solved the problem of increasing the flash sync speed of only being 1/180. It is now 0.
Nonsense. Flash sync is still 1/180 whether it is is built in or external.

Sorry Jim, but this is getting really old. You have made your point. Again. And again. And again.

Move on.
04-23-2015, 07:34 AM   #758
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
JimC1101's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fremont, Ca
Photos: Albums
Posts: 395
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, that is part of what I was trying to say.


Yes, if Pentax does have a FW upgrade for pixel shifting for the K-S2, it will be interesting to see which camera sells the most. In some ways, the flagship may be more the S2 than the 3II but there are other improvements on the 3II. but not by much.

04-23-2015, 07:35 AM   #759
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,015
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Well, at least Pentax solved the problem of the flash sync speed of only being 1/180. It is now 0.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-23-2015 at 07:41 AM.
04-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #760
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,753
ThisIsFun™
04-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #761
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,237
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Well, at least Pentax solved the problem of the flash sync speed of only being 1/180. It is now 0.
How do you figure? That would only be true if you use the little on board flash.
04-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #762
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
JimC1101's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fremont, Ca
Photos: Albums
Posts: 395
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Nonsense. Flash sync is still 1/180 whether it is is built in or external.

Sorry Jim, but this is getting really old. You have made your point. Again. And again. And again.

Move on.


I fail to see why it is such a problem for some people that I post here. I am not being harsh, I am not repeating the same post over and over, I mealy state my opinions, just as everybody does and is entitled to, as others post and I reply. I am not telling people to disregard GPS as a good thing, and I don't know why it is hard for some people to find my posts so difficult.


BTW, HSS is available in P-TT HSS external flash and it is, in fact, higher than 1/180,but I am sure you know that.
04-23-2015, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #763
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,237
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
We will see and your are correct, the price is fine but a new user would have to understand that if he needs to get a flash, or flu card, that will increase the price by a few hundred $'s so the price is a little misleading. I am sure they will bundle at least a flash somehow..


Adam added a poll so it will be interesting to see the results. Not scientific of course but we went through this same discussion a few weeks back as to how important a FF on board is to the user.


Of course, I think this subject will always polarize one or the other and that is fine. We all have different needs for our camera. GPS is great but I would never use it, maybe someday and it is nice to have it in case I want to use it. I wonder how many people would actually use it, but I would never tell anyone to take it away. Maybe another poll. :P
If I had to pick between the GPS unit and onboard flash, I would go with the GPS. If the expensive module is installed, it not only interferes with the onboard, it also takes up the hotshoe.
04-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #764
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
JimC1101's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fremont, Ca
Photos: Albums
Posts: 395
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How do you figure? That would only be true if you use the little on board flash.


Yes, others had asked before as to when Pentax will increase the on board sync speed above 1/180. Others had said that Nikon has 1/250 and why cant Pentax.
04-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #765
Veteran Member
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 925
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I hear ABBA is making a comeback ?
(Sorry ... couldn't resist!)
but their in Sweden,this is Finland..land of Monster Rock(Eurovison many yrs ago--great song!!)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
buyer, camera, da*, ff, gr, hump, ii, k-3, k-3 prestige edition, k-s1, k-s2, k3, lenses, line, march, mark, market, name, no flash riot, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, post, purchase, ricoh, target, video, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whoa . . . Hello All (Soon to be a K-50 owner) Echo.Delta Welcomes and Introductions 11 12-21-2014 04:41 AM
Hello from soon to be Pentax K-30 owner ExpatKiwi Welcomes and Introductions 6 08-03-2013 01:33 PM
Soon to be K-30 owner, need lens advice filterxg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 07-17-2013 10:04 AM
Soon to be K-30 owner Takumar55 Welcomes and Introductions 6 07-01-2013 12:20 PM
Soon to be K-30 owner... dlarkin_dc Welcomes and Introductions 6 06-25-2013 02:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top