Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #766
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
the flagship may be more the S2 than the 3II
Try telling that to the folks damning the K-S2 for its lack of a add-on grip. Or AA battery support. Or top LCD. Or a wired shutter release. Or a rear IR port. Or dedicated X-mode. Or... Everybody has their one make-or-break feature.

(Clearly, in the one category that really matters - timer countdown LEDs - the K-S1 is the undisputed flagship! )

04-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #767
Site Supporter

Yes, others had asked before as to when Pentax will increase the on board sync speed above 1/180. Others had said that Nikon has 1/250 and why cant Pentax.
I guess it went over your head. How about improving the sync speed, period.
04-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #768
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Apologies to all.

I have not been trying to stir anything up intentionally but in my many years here, I have never seen such posts where so polarizes for and against and some people are trying to make it a war. I don't think of it in that way. As I said, everyone has requirements and to me, they are all valid to each of us. I would never try to tell someone to stop posting and move on, unless they are harsh or unfounded, because this forum is about discussing our opinions.

Once again, apologies.
04-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #769
Site Supporter

Apologies to all.

I have not been trying to stir anything up intentionally but in my many years here, I have never seen such posts where so polarizes for and against and some people are trying to make it a war. I don't think of it in that way. As I said, everyone has requirements and to me, they are all valid to each of us. I would never try to tell someone to stop posting and move on, unless they are harsh or unfounded, because this forum is about discussing our opinions.

Once again, apologies.
I have thought a long time the sync speed needs increased regardless if one uses the popup flash or an external flash.

04-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #770
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
but their in Sweden,this is Finland..land of Monster Rock(Eurovison many yrs ago--great song!!)
I figured they wouldn't have to travel very far from their hometown to get to your rock festival !
Nonetheless ... looks like a great venue !
Have fun there.
04-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have thought a long time the sync speed needs increased regardless if one uses the popup flash or an external flash.
Don't forget that flash power is a function of flash duration. Faster sync speeds mean less flash power. For an example, my Metz 52 AF-1 flash requires 1/125 second to provide full power. I don't need a faster shutter speed for group portraits in large rooms (about the only thing I need full flash power for) and there is always HSS for action shots at faster shutter speeds.
04-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #772
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Don't forget that flash power is a function of flash duration. Faster sync speeds mean less flash power. For an example, my Metz 52 AF-1 flash requires 1/125 second to provide full power. I don't need a faster shutter speed for group portraits in large rooms (about the only thing I need full flash power for) and there is always HSS for action shots at faster shutter speeds.

I did not want to reply because someone might say that it went over my head again. :P

Last edited by JimC1101; 04-23-2015 at 09:03 AM.
04-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I hear ABBA is making a comeback ?
(Sorry ... couldn't resist!)
Haha...I am more of a Soundgarden, Faith No More, Led Zeppelin, Muse, Yeah Yeah Yeah kind of guy, but I can certainly appreciate the 70ies and 80ies classic disco as well: ABBA, Boney M and all the great American Disco groups of the time
04-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #774
Pentaxian

Yes, if Pentax does have a FW upgrade for pixel shifting for the K-S2, it will be interesting to see which camera sells the most. In some ways, the flagship may be more the S2 than the 3II but there are other improvements on the 3II. but not by much.
I will be very surprised if pixel shift is available via firmware update. In any event, with or without PS, the KS2 should sell a lot more than the k3ii. Only because it is a cheaper, lower end model. Selling more units has nothing to do with being a flagship.
04-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #775
Pentaxian

Nope, not as long as the shutter speed is slower than the synch speed: the flash itself lasts less than 1/1,000s and the resulting flash lightening power will be the same, be the shutter speed 1/125s, 1/180s or 1/250s.

It's HSS at shutter speeds faster than the synch speed that results in lower flash power since the flash unit emits a series of short strobes of lesser power, each of them lightening a portion of the final image (the portion corresponding to the window between the two shutter curtains).
04-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #776
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I thought this (or the K-3II specs thread) was the "Why I won't buy a K-3 II" thread...
I won't buy the K3II because the only new body I need is one for myself, would like a body about 40 years younger.

If I was buying the new Pentax and it came out in three different models, one with flash, one with wifi and the third with GPS it would be the later I would buy followed by the flash and hte wifi last. I imagine that most people would have different orders of preferences.I seldom used the flash on my film cameras or the Kr and when I got the K5ii it came with the now discontinued 200 flash which is in my camera bag all the time. If I was using fill in flash more often I think the on board flash would be important to me, if I was not shooting landscapes the GPS would be less important.

I doubt that Pentax is expecting every K3 owner to upgrade anyways. If you want on board flash and do not have the K3 perhaps it is time to upgrade and if you have the K3 and want the GPS you could have two cameras as many already do and the cameras whould have different features. Pentax cannot go its own way if it has to be exactly like the big two feature for feature. At least not on the top APS model.
04-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #777
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Nope, not as long as the shutter speed is slower than the synch speed: the flash itself lasts less than 1/1,000s and the resulting flash lightening power will be the same, be the shutter speed 1/125s, 1/180s or 1/250s.

It's HSS at shutter speeds faster than the synch speed that results in lower flash power since the flash unit emits a series of short strobes of lesser power, each of them lightening a portion of the final image (the portion corresponding to the window between the two shutter curtains).
Actually no. The Metz AF50-1 at 1/1 power is 1/250th of a second, at 1/2 it is 1/900. 1/4 to 1/16 it gets interesting as a way to freeze movement.

The sync speed it the fastest speed that the sensor is entirely exposed to light during the exposure. Faster speeds the trailing curtain follows the leading curtain across the sensor, and if a flash is used, gives a band of exposed area, the rest darker.

The limit is the shutter design and construction.
04-23-2015, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #778
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
This should be the next area of work for Pentax R&D (of course in concert with their suppliers). Or they should just pay up for a better shutter.
04-23-2015, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #779
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Actually no. The Metz AF50-1 at 1/1 power is 1/250th of a second, at 1/2 it is 1/900. 1/4 to 1/16 it gets interesting as a way to freeze movement.

The sync speed it the fastest speed that the sensor is entirely exposed to light during the exposure. Faster speeds the trailing curtain follows the leading curtain across the sensor, and if a flash is used, gives a band of exposed area, the rest darker.

Ok, 1/250s instead of 1/1,000s is the maximum shutter speed to fire this cobra flash at full power (I had studio flashes in mind, the flash duration of which is shorter at full power).

As long as the synch speed is lower than 1/250s (in your example), you will get the same illumination power from the flash whatever the synch speed is and whatever actual shutter speed, lower than the synch speed, you are using.

At shutter speeds higher than the synch speed, the trailing curtain follows the leading curtain across the sensor, exposing a progressive band, as you wrote. In this case you need HSS (High Synch Speed): the flash fires several times during the exposure to successively illuminate several portions of the sensor. The flip side of the coin is that each flash then corresponds to a limited power : 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 or 1/32 of max power, depending on the number of successive flashes. There you 'loose' a lot of the flash's illumination power.
04-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #780
Site Supporter

There are other kinds of flash such as ring flashes and power heads.

I did not want to reply because someone might say that it went over my head again. :P
Yep. You overlooked power heads and macro flashes.

The limit is the shutter design and construction

Which is why the need for a sync speed. Otherwise none of this would matter and the 1/180 wouldn't be lagging behind Nikon etc.

Last edited by Blue; 04-23-2015 at 10:24 AM.