Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #796
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,345
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For internal GPS removing the flash was the only option
It probably makes a difference that the standalone unit used the hotshoe circuitry, putting the internal GPS module there would require fewer changes than just about any hardware upgrade that Pentax could think of. As for built-in Wifi, if the original K-3 circuit boards have to be reconfigured to accommodate Wifi, that's a major engineering change, and as we all know, engineering changes don't happen overnight.

04-25-2015, 12:16 AM   #797
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
IMO the reason for flash sync is SR. They need to provision the time for the sensor to move.
04-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #798
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,075
You mean the reason for 1/180s max. flash synch. ?
04-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #799
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,004
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
IMO the reason for flash sync is SR. They need to provision the time for the sensor to move.
It might be but, on the other hand, Sony 24x36 bodies (Alpha 850, 900 and 99) and high-end APS-C bodies (Alpha 700, 77 and 77 Mk II) have both SR and a 1/250s flash synch.

04-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #800
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It might be but, on the other hand, Sony 24x36 bodies (Alpha 850, 900 and 99) and high-end APS-C bodies (Alpha 700, 77 and 77 Mk II) have both SR and a 1/250s flash synch.
If I remember well they don't: you either have 1/250 and no SR or slower and SR.
At least that was the case in the early days of Sony DSLRs. I admit I really didn't bother to check since.
04-26-2015, 12:45 AM   #801
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,004
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If I remember well they don't: you either have 1/250 and no SR or slower and SR.
At least that was the case in the early days of Sony DSLRs. I admit I really didn't bother to check since.
I just did:

- earlier cameras (Alpha 700, 850 and 900) had a synch speed of 1/250s with SuperSteadyShot (Sony's equivalent to Pentax's SR) off and 1/200s with SSS on;
- newer cameras (Alpha 77, 77 II and 99) have a synch speed of 1/250s, be SSS on or off.
04-26-2015, 02:10 AM   #802
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I just did:

- earlier cameras (Alpha 700, 850 and 900) had a synch speed of 1/250s with SuperSteadyShot (Sony's equivalent to Pentax's SR) off and 1/200s with SSS on;
- newer cameras (Alpha 77, 77 II and 99) have a synch speed of 1/250s, be SSS on or off.
Thanks for checking.
So SR can indeed influence but either Sony fixed it or they changed their shutter.
Either way there's no reason Ricoh couldn't do the same. And sync speed IS a pro feature (although suddenly a bit less since 5d mk3 lol).
05-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #803
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,968
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Thanks for checking.
So SR can indeed influence but either Sony fixed it or they changed their shutter.
Either way there's no reason Ricoh couldn't do the same. And sync speed IS a pro feature (although suddenly a bit less since 5d mk3 lol).
Hé hé ! Or another way to go around this limitation is offering a lower base iso like 64 or 50. So no more need for very high flash speed sync.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
buyer, camera, da*, ff, gr, hump, ii, k-3, k-3 prestige edition, k-s1, k-s2, k3, lenses, line, march, mark, market, name, no flash riot, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, post, purchase, ricoh, target, video, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whoa . . . Hello All (Soon to be a K-50 owner) Echo.Delta Welcomes and Introductions 11 12-21-2014 04:41 AM
Hello from soon to be Pentax K-30 owner ExpatKiwi Welcomes and Introductions 6 08-03-2013 01:33 PM
Soon to be K-30 owner, need lens advice filterxg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 07-17-2013 10:04 AM
Soon to be K-30 owner Takumar55 Welcomes and Introductions 6 07-01-2013 12:20 PM
Soon to be K-30 owner... dlarkin_dc Welcomes and Introductions 6 06-25-2013 02:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top