Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #271

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
Good lenses are rarely cheap, I'm afraid that the brand doesn't matter there, the only difference will be the larger used market for recent lenses.
I agree, but Pentax is still behind with motor technology (I will never buy an SDM lens), their lenses don't have the ois systems to add weight/bulk, etc, and some of them are re-branded forms of others, but with a premium price, like the 18-270 "Pentax".

I have the Tamron 17-50 and 70-200 2.8s that I like, but Pentax doesn't seem to have a lot of options with zooms, and 3rd party and the used markets are still lacking.

I know they have to make money, but when I look at the price and slim pickings from Pentax, I just browse away - I'm just not a prime shooter, which I never cared much about the Ltd's. The bodies have really great features though.

04-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my K3 last November and I am perfectly happy with it. Even if a K3ii does come out I would wait before upgrading, most likely until a new flagship model comes out. WiFi and GPS do not really matter too me. Just more things to drain my battery down faster.
04-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
That's a good question. Although it seems some physical changes are prominent between the models, Adam and few others are ruling out a flippy screen. It might be a top panel redesign only, keeping everything else the same From the rumors it seems that the K5/ii/s days of small incremental improvements are gone. Ricoh seems more aggressive with its model updates, features and pricing. They're trying to seriously challenge the competition its seems.

The K series has only the K1 left down the road. The FF is probably going to get a KZ or MZ or something of that sort.
I'm predicting the FF will be called a KF-1
04-17-2015, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #274
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
I agree, but Pentax is still behind with motor technology (I will never buy an SDM lens), their lenses don't have the ois systems to add weight/bulk, etc, and some of them are re-branded forms of others, but with a premium price, like the 18-270 "Pentax".

I have the Tamron 17-50 and 70-200 2.8s that I like, but Pentax doesn't seem to have a lot of options with zooms, and 3rd party and the used markets are still lacking.

I know they have to make money, but when I look at the price and slim pickings from Pentax, I just browse away - I'm just not a prime shooter, which I never cared much about the Ltd's. The bodies have really great features though.
I think many many casual browsers are going to have their basic impression of Pentax radically changed in the next 18 months. For instance, it seems Pentax is on the brink of introducing a new high-speed, high-torque lens ring motor to 'retire' SDM; Ricoh has invested in its own lens development and hasn't done a new rebadged lens in quite a while; clearly, there are 4 new zooms releasing this year (2 announced and two broadly hinted at); lots of action coming - all of it apparently competitive with the best available on the market from other makers.

This is Ricoh's Pentax. It's an entirely different camera company than your historical experience.

04-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #275

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
K1-F would be more appropriate IMO. Although on DPR some said it would be FF-1 for sure. KF-1 is nice but I can see people call it KFC to make a joke of it.
04-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #276
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by saliakbari Quote
K1-F would be more appropriate IMO. Although on DPR some said it would be FF-1 for sure. KF-1 is nice but I can see people call it KFC to make a joke of it.
It won't be a joke if Ricoh mixes those eleven herbs and spices just right.
04-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #277
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
It won't be a joke if Ricoh mixes those eleven herbs and spices just right.
Don't be so sure about that. Wasn't The Colonel arrested after they found out what the ingredients were?

04-17-2015, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #278
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think that's not what he meant at all...He said ALL other camera makers get sensor from their SECOND category....

(from Sony's president of imaging 2014)
When we make sensors we put them in several categories. [At any given time] one category of sensors is reserved purely for Sony cameras - we don’t sell them to other companies. Like the sensor in the A7S. But once we’ve enjoyed this advantage we might sell them on later, after some time has passed. This is the second category. The third category of sensors is completely generic - the sensors are created for use internally and to sell externally, to anybody. China or Taiwan or wherever.

No one said that. All he said is: We have a category of sensors (let's call it Special) where we keep for ouselves. After "we've enjoyed the advantages of these sensors" (meaning that the sensors in the Special category have "advantages" over the ones from other categories) we distribute them to other camera manufacturers...

Here's a simple diagram:

"Special" Sensors (reserved for Sony only).......--->(delayed: months-years)............--->all cameras
"Regular" Sensors...........--->.(no delay)............---->.all cameras
I don't find Sony's explanation very believable. In the case of the A7s sensor, which other maker would want to use that? I don't think any other companies make dedicated FF video cameras, and it's resolution is too low for a camera designed to be a stills camera. I think they are putting a positive spin on it when they say it's a Sony exclusive. The same with the one-inch sensor they use for the RX100/10.

I think that from the sensor department's point of view, there are indeed three categories.
1) Mainstream sensors that they know they can sell and develop without a specific camera in mind. APS-C and FF 24mp sensors would be an example.
2) Custom order sensors that a particular maker requests. These are more expensive and probably good business. 36mp FF for Nikon, 50mp MF sensor
3) Custom order sensors from Sony's camera division. These might be good business or might be just annoying of they are pressured to sell them at a steep discount and can't find another buyer.

Ultimately, if a customer wants a sensor made and they are prepared to pay for it, Sony will make it for them. They may be dominant in the market, but they are not alone. Samsung and Toshiba can both produce competitive sensors. Sharp has also just produced a video-oriented one-inch sensor that I believe Canon is using in their new stills/video camera. Sony will be conscious to protect their market share.

So if Ricoh is prepared to pay for a top-class sensor, they'll get it. And based on cameras like the 645z, the K-3 and the new lenses, they don't seem to be going the cheap route for their higher-end models.
04-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #279
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah that scene with chewbacca at the end came as a surprise. But I'm glad that Lucas originally decided to have the same actors playing old the characters, since that will give the trilogy a better sense of continuity IMO.
lucas isn't involved with this one thankfully. Its a disney movie.

---------- Post added 04-18-15 at 02:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
? Wouldn't it be more like ? (just wondering)....?

645Z
(Pentax FF)
K-3II
K-50 replacement
K-S2
GR
Q7 (or Q-s1)

Or is the K-S2 both the mid range and low range APS-C camera? Is the K-S1 discontinued yet?
The KS-2 is the mid range. I don't get the hate for the K-s1. It's a great little entry level camera.
04-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Maybe they'll go back to real names (like "Spotmatic" and "Super Program")
or letter combinations (like "ME" and "MX").

My "ME SE" ended up in the town dump after it never recovered from getting a tad damp at Niagara Falls,
but I still have my old "Super Program", and I'm amazed every time I pick it up and am reminded how small it is.
04-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
lucas isn't involved with this one thankfully. Its a disney movie.
With J.J. Abrams directing.
04-17-2015, 08:01 PM - 4 Likes   #282
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
With J.J. Abrams directing.
I just watched the two trailers, and frankly I'm concerned.

- The Empire looks like it's going be "rebranded" to the "First Order"
- Stormtroopers are available in multiple colour variations
- The new lightsaber has decorative lights on the grip

I've been with the dark side since the early 80s, but I'm getting very concerned about the message they're sending for the future. It pains me to say it, but I'm seriously thinking about jumping ship to the Rebels.
04-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #283
Veteran Member

I will never buy an SDM lens
I own one and guess what? It's useful like any other and working great for 6 years now... Even if the SDM fails it's fairly easy and cheap to repair, so I don't really care.
I'm just not a prime shooter, which I never cared much about the Ltd's. The bodies have really great features though.
It sounds, like you shouldn't choose the Pentax system back then... Isn't the lens selection the most important thing when you choose it? If lenses don't suit your needs why to buy it?
QuoteOriginally posted by saliakbari Quote
It should be K-F1 not the other way, just looking at the recent naming scheme, but I don't think so.
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I don't think any other companies make dedicated FF video cameras,
Canon?
Samsung and Toshiba can both produce competitive sensors
...and Dalsa, Renesas, Aptina...
04-18-2015, 01:52 AM   #284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taking a closer look at the hump, I'm of the opinion that the pop-up flash is still there, just redesigned somewhat.
Maybe there is a new metering device under the hood!! As in number 25 on the picture.
Attached Images

04-18-2015, 02:05 AM   #285
Veteran Member

they don't seem to be going the cheap route for their higher-end models.
And they dont.