Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2015, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For all the talk of the K3 auto focus not being adequate, we are really only talking about tracking issues. The focus itself is quite good. As you introduce more auto focus points and more complexity to the auto focus module, you introduce a significant component of user variability and whether or not they can figure out what settings are best for the way they shoot. I already had some difficulty with the K3 figuring out what settings were best, I imagine a K3 II will be worse.

Nothing will make SDM work faster though and nothing will make a lens with a long focus throw have a short one. A 50-135 and DA *55 are both slow lenses to focus for both these reasons and as far as I can tell we aren't going to get a camera that will turn these into sports optics, even though it might be nice.

04-19-2015, 03:47 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
People do themselves a disservice by thinking the K3 AF is inferior where we all now know (Ricoh has confirmed this) the SDM wasn't up to snuff. The new D-FA lenses are really fast, faster than the new Sigma 150-600 on a Nikon D700. (our forum member thibs has confirmed this firsthand, and soon many of you lucky people who pre-ordered the new D-fas will see yourself),

The screwdrive on the K3 is really fast, for us birding/wildlife amateurs is really responsive, the new Dc motors should perform as well or better...

Yes but the K-3 only has their focus points bunched together in the center. I would hope to think that Pentax will add AF points similar to what Canikon has just to be on par with the competition.
04-19-2015, 04:11 AM   #318
Pentaxian

Whatever features it will have I hope will be significant. I still have to add another camera and a macro lens to My arsenal then, probably additional add-ons will be another 3 years down the line for me. I'm sure this will hurt my pocket.
04-19-2015, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #319
Pentaxian

I don't believe we will see more phase AF points on K3 II.

04-19-2015, 05:25 AM   #320
Veteran Member

Like I said, I believe one the main feature will be tethering with LIghtroom. This will make a huge difference for many peoples.
04-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #321
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Like I said, I believe one the main feature will be tethering with LIghtroom. This will make a huge difference for many peoples.
That would be an awesome feature. One we have waited to long for.
04-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I've heard that the new version (6) of Lightroom is being released on Tuesday April 22nd, same day as the K3II, could it be that there is a Tethering of these two products?

04-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #323
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
K01ii (designed by Phillipe starke)
You jest, but I'd be interested in this, assuming that the price + performance are reasonable.

Come to think of it, a new designer mirrorless body every two or three years would be a nice sales gimmick -- much more interesting than multicoloured versions of standard SLRs.
04-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
How about a video of Mathew McConaughey's reacting to the new Star Wars trailer

https://youtu.be/PYHdQUyOunA
Hillarious. Thanks for sharing.
04-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #325
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I don't believe we will see more phase AF points on K3 II.
Me either. I think the K-3 AF array stays the same for at least one more body. I think the K-3II have improved algorithms and more processing power. I don't think we will see a new array until the FF body is released.

I don't think we really know how good the K-3 AF is. It has been held back by the lenses, but by the time all the lenses get updated with faster AF motors, we will be talking about the K-3V.

I am hoping Ricoh has an updated lens ready to be released with the new K-3II. Maybe the DA* 55mm F/1.4 with the new DC motor and HD coatings so we can see the real improvement.
04-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #326
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Yes but the K-3 only has their focus points bunched together in the center. I would hope to think that Pentax will add AF points similar to what Canikon has just to be on par with the competition.
I understand, if I read the specs on a Canon/Nikon AF and Pentax AF of course I'd be biased towards the former, their explanations on the AF tech can cover more real estate on the page as well. But In real life it's going to be hard to see the difference. It's true the K3 Af points are bunched together in the center, but that's what you need most of the time when shooting wildlife or action (unless you're shooting a flock of birds and for some reason you want those of the corner to be the focus point) Try the K3 with a fast F*/FA* 300, FA 200, or (the best of the bunch in terms of speed) the F*/FA 135mm f2.8 and you'll be blown away by the combo's performance.

The real problem is the lenses. I prefer shooting with lenses that are a decade or older because the SDM's of today just can't keep up with the K3. The Da* 300, DA* 60-250 (which I own) and the Da* 200mm f2.8 are fast enough, but not mind blowing. Perhaps we have to blame Pentax or Hoya for the SDM designs, but with the new DC i believe that things are going to improve tremendously.

I'm out, be back Tuesday with news on the K3ii specs

Last edited by Stavri; 04-19-2015 at 11:15 AM.
04-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #327

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For all the talk of the K3 auto focus not being adequate, we are really only talking about tracking issues. The focus itself is quite good. As you introduce more auto focus points and more complexity to the auto focus module, you introduce a significant component of user variability and whether or not they can figure out what settings are best for the way they shoot. I already had some difficulty with the K3 figuring out what settings were best, I imagine a K3 II will be worse.

Nothing will make SDM work faster though and nothing will make a lens with a long focus throw have a short one. A 50-135 and DA *55 are both slow lenses to focus for both these reasons and as far as I can tell we aren't going to get a camera that will turn these into sports optics, even though it might be nice.
I think you missunderstand the AF issue with K-3. We know the lack of speed is due to the SDM. The issue from the K-3 is the central AFfocus point which is too big and because of that not précise enough. I wish it was smaller.

Last edited by Black_Wizards; 04-19-2015 at 01:03 PM. Reason: auto correction from Iphone...
04-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #328
Pentaxian

As to Sony and their chip deals - I don't believe they ever made a 12Mpx APSc camera that used video, the A500 didn't but the k-x and k-r did. Curious to me at the time. I'm looking forward to the way Pentax implements Millenium Falcon tech into the new body.. wait I think I'm crossing posts/streams now

I'm still surprised that nobody has dared to offer a 25x25 or 30x30 camera sensor; I've no idea of resulting crop factors & don't really care. Just use a larger chunk of the lens' best zones and we'll manage our crop ratios later, thanks. Maybe me & my soldering iron should form a kickstart company? I'll buy Sony A7 chips and snap off a chunk

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 04-19-2015 at 11:04 AM.
04-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I'm still surprised that nobody has dared to offer a 25x25 or 30x30 camera sensor; I've no idea of resulting crop factors & don't really care. Just use a larger chunk of the lens' best zones and we'll manage our crop ratios later, thanks. Maybe me & my soldering iron should form a kickstart company? I'll buy Sony A7 chips and snap off a chunk
I'm with you, friend. I half-facetiously suggested that camera makers request circular chips, so that cameras could select which shape and size of the image gets selected from the lens' circular image. But I'd be fine with a square shape too....
04-19-2015, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
The issue from the K-3 is the central AFfocus point which is too big and because of that not précise enough. I wish it was smaller.
Really? I agree with you about the K5/II/IIs and earlier (dinner plate comes to mind), but I think my K-3 has a vastly improved and much smaller central AF point. I don't recall reading a single complaint about too large an AF center point on the K-3 - of course I can be wrong.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-19-2015 at 08:31 PM.