Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 198 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2015, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So on the new K3 II we MIGHT get:

--Improved AF with class leading low light performance
--Updated pentaprism (from the looks of the provided image on the K3II)
--Potential flippy screen
--Potential Wifi, NFC, perhaps even GPS
--New sensor, with improved, Iso, DR performance, more FPS
--Faster processing, more Video features, (maybe even 4K)
--Lightroom tethering

This is an unprecedented number of feature upgrades on a Mark II release.

People better start engraving little hearts next to the RICOH logo......

Last edited by Stavri; 04-19-2015 at 03:55 PM.
04-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #347
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
My guess is that tthis AF system was actually developed for the coming FF and that they are putting it in the new K3 to be able to sort out possible teething pains by the time FF gets released.
Probably, but with only 2 lenses with the new AF motors being released and costing $2,500 each, I don't see many people getting to really test the speed of the new system. They must be releasing some new DA glass with new DC AF motors with the K-3II. It really doesn't matter how fast you make the AF system, lenses like the DA* 55mm are going to be slow. None of the FA lenses are fast. There wont be any testing until the new glass is in wide circulation.
04-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #348
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
I think you missunderstand the AF issue with K-3. We know the lack of speed is due to the SDM. The issue from the K-3 is the central AFfocus point which is too big and because of that not précise enough. I wish it was smaller.
Not every K-mount lens in the world is slow so it is possible to get a handle on how fast the K-3 focuses... just have to get a fast focusing lens to make the determination. Aren't some of the newer Sigma lenses know to be fast focusing?
04-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Is it Tuesday or Thursday for the announcement?
22nd I thought

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 04-19-2015 at 03:56 PM.
04-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #350
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Not every K-mount lens in the world is slow so it is possible to get a handle on how fast the K-3 focuses... just have to get a fast focusing lens to make the determination. Aren't some of the newer Sigma lenses know to be fast focusing?
The new Sigma 150-600 on D700 is reported to be noticably slower than the D-Fa 150-450 on K3 (The exact word used by Thibs was "pedestrian" if I remember correctly)

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
None of the FA lenses are fast. There wont be any testing until the new glass is in wide circulation.
Although somewhat true, most FA lenses are fast focusing such as FA 135/f2.8, FA* 85/f1.4, FA* 300/f4.5 they're all very fast on screw-drive.
I agree with you that nothing can make the DA* 55 focus faster, long focus throw, slow sdm. Only a powerfull DC motor like the D-FA's will do. That means a lens overhaul. We all have to be patient and wait for Ricoh/Pentax to start overhauling their lens AF mechanisms...(it should take a couple of years at most)

(the speed demons I've tested personally)
-F 24-50mm f4, -F 28/f2.8, -F 50/f1.4, -F 50/f1.7, -F 135/f2.8 (the fastest), -F* 300mm f4.5.....(a pattern emerges)
Even the puny DA 35mm, f2.4 is very fast. (the 35/f2.8 macro has a long focus throw being a macro))
Nobody complains about the Pentax d-FA 100/f2.8 macro or Sigma 180f/3.5 being a slow lens...they're designed that way

Last edited by Stavri; 04-19-2015 at 03:59 PM.
04-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #351

Probably, but with only 2 lenses with the new AF motors being released and costing $2,500 each, I don't see many people getting to really test the speed of the new system. They must be releasing some new DA glass with new DC AF motors with the K-3II. It really doesn't matter how fast you make the AF system, lenses like the DA* 55mm are going to be slow. None of the FA lenses are fast. There wont be any testing until the new glass is in wide circulation.
My guess is that they are exactly improving the AF system for the sake of use with older lenses. The new ones are supposed to be fast by themselves even with older cameras.

As someone already mentioned, the FA 135mm f2.8 is already fast even with my K5.
04-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Is it Tuesday or Thursday for the announcement?
Wait, wait we heard Tuesday before. no way I can wait until Thursday!!!!
QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
My guess is that tthis AF system was actually developed for the coming FF and that they are putting it in the new K3 to be able to sort out possible teething pains by the time FF gets released.
Not sure if it was intended for the FF, which may not have even been decided on when development started. I suspect it has been in development for some time. It is easy to think of these developments as occurring as discrete events when in most cases it is an ongoing project that at points what is done is released. But development never stops.

Anyway, I believe in an interview some time ago, maybe years, Ricoh representatives stated they wanted to be number one in AF. Most just laughed that off as 'marketing speak'. Yet, each camera release has shown notable improvement in areas of the AF. Despite the stigma attached to Pentax AF, in all areas except tracking it is as good or better than what the competition offers. It is hampered by SDM lenses in some cases but for accuracy and lock speed I don't see anything any better available when used with a lens capable of keeping up. Those who continue to complain about the AF either shoot BIF or sports or don't use a k-3.

---------- Post added 04-19-15 at 03:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
-F 24-50mm f4, -F 28/f2.8, -F 50/f1.4, -F 50/f1.7, -F 135/f2.8 (the fastest), -F* 300mm f4.5.....(a pattern emerges)
Agree. I have all of those except the 300mm and they are quick and positive. Or try the F 70-210 if you want fast and positive. Wheeeee BANG. Locked. Of course sometimes it feels like the torque is going to yank the camera out of your hand but hey, its fast.

04-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #353
Veteran Member

Should/could be Thursday
04-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Agree. I have all of those except the 300mm and they are quick and positive. Or try the F 70-210 if you want fast and positive. Wheeeee BANG. Locked. Of course sometimes it feels like the torque is going to yank the camera out of your hand but hey, its fast.
I forgot the F 70-210, such a fast lens. I use it for BIF shots because of the bang it makes when it achieves focus, makes all the birds within a mile radius take off...And the torque on that sucker, you better hold on for deal life.

(the older Tokina AF lenses are the same)
04-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #355
Veteran Member

So your saying all the AF points will be F/2.8?

IS there a lens being released with the new K-3II. Lens AF speed is still the weakest link. No reason to improve the K-3 AF unless you have some glass that is as fast as the camera.
I don´t think that we get every point in 2,8.But we will get the best lowlight AF like we have today with again,new logic and faster reaction,more power in processoring.
But we wait better till thursday.......not that MR.Yakashira/leader of Tokyo Yakuzzaaaa is calling me for a last small talk :-)
If i get the tec details,i will tell about it for more.
04-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #356
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
I think you missunderstand the AF issue with K-3. We know the lack of speed is due to the SDM. The issue from the K-3 is the central AFfocus point which is too big and because of that not précise enough. I wish it was smaller.
I don't really think the points on the K3 are bigger than points on, say, a D7100. Seem pretty similar to me.
04-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
So on the new K3 II we MIGHT get:

--Improved AF with class leading low light performance
--Updated pentaprism (from the looks of the provided image on the K3II)
--Potential flippy screen
--Potential Wifi, NFC, perhaps even GPS
--New sensor, with improved, Iso, DR performance, more FPS
--Faster processing, more Video features, (maybe even 4K)
--Lightroom tethering

This is an unprecedented number of feature upgrades on a Mark II release.

People better start engraving little hearts next to the RICOH logo......

NFC? Not sure what it means.
04-19-2015, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #358
Veteran Member

Near filed connectivitie,good for mobilephone connection to the camera.
And Yes it should be internal.
same with WiFi and GPS.
04-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
NFC? Not sure what it means.
NFC -- Near-Field communication is a short range wireless communication between android devices...

Last edited by Stavri; 04-19-2015 at 05:00 PM.
04-19-2015, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #360
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Not that MR.Yakashira/leader of Tokyo Yakuzzaaaa is calling me for a last small talk :-)
...LOL...

One thing I know for sure is the K-3ii will trump the D7200 as the K-3 already has, but camera bodies are a dime a dozen.

Last edited by dane.dawg; 04-19-2015 at 05:09 PM.