Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 198 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
NFC -- Near-Field communication is a short range wireless communication between android devices...

https://youtu.be/E4GvWfzS8qI
And MeeGo, Sailfish... Not everything is Android you know

04-19-2015, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
So your saying all the AF points will be F/2.8?

IS there a lens being released with the new K-3II. Lens AF speed is still the weakest link. No reason to improve the K-3 AF unless you have some glass that is as fast as the camera.
from what a service tech told me last week--the lenses are more than fast enough,its the bodies that cannot keep up,no lens he said fun near max speed....so the K3II should have a better focus motor I guess,like the FF will
04-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #363
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand, if I read the specs on a Canon/Nikon AF and Pentax AF of course I'd be biased towards the former, their explanations on the AF tech can cover more real estate on the page as well. But In real life it's going to be hard to see the difference. It's true the K3 Af points are bunched together in the center, but that's what you need most of the time when shooting wildlife or action (unless you're shooting a flock of birds and for some reason you want those of the corner to be the focus point) Try the K3 with a fast F*/FA* 300, FA 200, or (the best of the bunch in terms of speed) the F*/FA 135mm f2.8 and you'll be blown away by the combo's performance.

The real problem is the lenses. I prefer shooting with lenses that are a decade or older because the SDM's of today just can't keep up with the K3. The Da* 300, DA* 60-250 (which I own) and the Da* 200mm f2.8 are fast enough, but not mind blowing. Perhaps we have to blame Pentax or Hoya for the SDM designs, but with the new DC i believe that things are going to improve tremendously.

I'm out, be back Tuesday with news on the K3ii specs

Agree with you here. Personally in action shots, I usually only shoot at Auto 5 AFC or only single point because I want to control where my points will be instead of the AI used with focusing. This is fine but in thinking of it in comparison to Canikon users, they feel that they need 50 plus points and if Pentax does not have it, they are behind in the times. I really don't think they need that many points but that is just my opinion. There are so many focus planes you can use in a given sensor size.
04-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
from what a service tech told me last week--the lenses are more than fast enough,its the bodies that cannot keep up,no lens he said fun near max speed....so the K3II should have a better focus motor I guess,like the FF will
Then why do my Sigma HSM lenses focus faster than the SDM lenses?

04-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I have been saying this for a long time
Uhmmmm . . . . .
04-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #366
Veteran Member

only quoting what the service tech said,maybe he meant the new DC motor lenses??,but we only talked about the DA*300 & SDM
04-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #367
Veteran Member

only quoting what the service tech said,maybe he meant the new DC motor lenses??,but we only talked about the DA*300 & SDM
The DA*300 is suppose to be one of the faster SDM lenses, so that may be true for it. But the DA* 55 1.4 and DA* 50-135 2.8 are reputed to be really slow.

04-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #368

At all ? Do you have the measurement ?

---------- Post added 04-20-15 at 10:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
so,now we have one of the best AF Systems in Lowlight and with highspeed lenses,with EVERY AF Point.
We have EVERY AF Point for good use till -3EV!!!!
Maybe this Thursday we will see what the new era will bring in combination with this great AF of the K-3.
What we get is new speed,new logic,new turbospeed lenses and new ideas.
Best regards
Very interesting. Looking forward to reading the specs. Hopefully closed to 7DII or even better. And what FF will be, if K-3 II is already great improvement ?

---------- Post added 04-20-15 at 10:17 AM ----------

So on the new K3 II we MIGHT get:

--Improved AF with class leading low light performance
--Updated pentaprism (from the looks of the provided image on the K3II)
--Potential flippy screen
--Potential Wifi, NFC, perhaps even GPS
--New sensor, with improved, Iso, DR performance, more FPS
--Faster processing, more Video features, (maybe even 4K)
--Lightroom tethering

This is an unprecedented number of feature upgrades on a Mark II release.

People better start engraving little hearts next to the RICOH logo......

Plus, no Ricoh logo on the LCD. Otherwise, hardcore pentaxians dude won't buy it like last time " Why I won't buy K-3 II thread"
04-19-2015, 09:57 PM - 2 Likes   #369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am going to say the K3ii will be a no show and the K1 will be announced.(How's that for a spanner in the works!!)
04-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #370
Veteran Member

And he told you so about DA*300? What the camera focus motor has to do with this? And how come that a generation after generation we can see improvements in focusing speed of screwdriven lenses and virtually no improvements with SDM ones? Yes, there are improvements in overall system responsiveness but not much (if at all) in the way lenses are moving.
04-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
so,now we have one of the best AF Systems in Lowlight and with highspeed lenses,with EVERY AF Point.
We have EVERY AF Point for good use till -3EV!!!!
Maybe this Thursday we will see what the new era will bring in combination with this great AF of the K-3.
What we get is new speed,new logic,new turbospeed lenses and new ideas.
Best regards
The competition (d7200) has -3EV on all points too now but with a wider viewfinder coverage, and arguable better tracking. As such if the k3 still has the 27 point array it will not be a class-leading product. But ignoring the competition, it is still an improvement for Pentax.
Anyway, Pentax and competition both will have the inaccuracies and limits of PDAF in DSLRs. After having seen what the Sony a7s and Olympus em-1 can do, I am convinced DSLRs are a technologically superseded design.
04-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #372
Veteran Member

What's this obsession with lots of AF points, it doesn't matter if it has 27 or 127, it needs to perform well in all conditions. The Nx1 has over 200 points and as most reviews have noticed they don't amount to much in low light( I'm talking overcast skies, forget about -3ev). The K3 was already class leading in low light AF performance with the bodies of its generation, the K3ii will continue the evolution.
04-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
And MeeGo, Sailfish... Not everything is Android you know
When you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail...

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2015 at 05:03 PM ----------

What's this obsession with lots of AF points, it doesn't matter if it has 27 or 127, it needs to perform well in all conditions. The Nx1 has over 200 points and as most reviews have noticed they don't amount to much in low light( I'm talking overcast skies, forget about -3ev). The K3 was already class leading in low light AF performance with the bodies of its generation, the K3ii will continue the evolution.
AF points are the new Megapixels...
04-20-2015, 12:21 AM   #374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
I am going to say the K3ii will be a no show and the K1 will be announced.(How's that for a spanner in the works!!)
I've got two D800E's for sale.. any takers?
04-20-2015, 02:23 AM   #375
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
When you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail...

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2015 at 05:03 PM ----------

AF points are the new Megapixels...

I hear you on that. The perception is, amongst other camera users such is Canon or Nikon users, is that if you don't have a lot of AF points, you are not good enough. I actually use single point a majority of the time because I want to be in control of where my AF will occur.