Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #421
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
If Ricoh/Pentax has any intentions to built the class leading K3 Mark II APS-C camera that has no pop-up flash, what could it possibly offer in terms of upgrades over the older K3?
Building in wireless controller, similar to the Cactus you can put on the hot-shoe, would be a 21st century approach.

04-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #422
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I thought most people owned some type of external flash unit? Have you seen the size of the new D-FA's, Wait till the 15-30sh f2.8 comes around it will redefine the term "lens shadow". Folks ought to get the AF 201FG, it rotates vertically (the 200FG is the "classic" version)

We're looking at it as a "glass half empty" proposition, when we should ask:

What's the tradeoff of removing the built in flash entail, bigger pentaprism, more tech and lack of space (wifi, gps etc). If they would redesign the top, are we to expect further changes on the frame accommodating a flip screen perhaps?
Would one rather have a 97-98x viewfinder magnification and no flash, or keep the 95x and the flash. If ones like shooting in low light (or their eyesight is wavering) the answer is clear.

I have an external as most do and I will probably buy the 201FG once it arrives in the US but in a summer day when I have shorts on and just my camera with a lens, I like to keep it light. On those mid summer day shots with a lot of shadow, I use a fill flash and it works great. It would be nice to have that ability to keep it simple in those instances. Just my opinion though. If they don't have a pop up, I guess I will move to Nikon then. Hahahahaha....just joking.
04-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #423
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
if RP is targeting wide user base
Isn't that the K-S2 / K-50?
  • Professional APSc
  • Professional FF
  • Professional MF
04-20-2015, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #424
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You make at least two wrong assumptions; first that most DSLR buyers already own external flash (they don't) and second that I'm somehow opposed to a DSLR without built in flash (I'm not) so I need convincing in way of explaining to me what are the benefits of that.

However my point is, most buyers don't have/know/care about external flashes and want the complete package and omitting it from a model wouldn't be wise if RP is targeting wide user base.
I understand your concerns, I think they're addressed the needs of fill-in enthusiasts with the the KS2 and older models.

The K3ii will be a high grade professional tool, and might necessitate some adjustment (extra gear purchase) that's what I've heard at least...
-Regards,Larry

04-20-2015, 07:16 AM   #425
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Isn't that the K-S2 / K-50?

Oh well, so you reckon it'll be expensive too? I don't want the bloody popup flash I'm just scared of the price.
04-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #426
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Milbeaut 8-8m? aka Prime IV?
Wouldn't that be glorious...that an the FRAM RFID (istead of EEPROM) memory (non-radiating type)
Milbeut surveillance camera processor M-8M is the latest generation of the Milbeaut direction for security surveillance applications chip products, the use of Cortex A5 MP processor, by embedding different image processing algorithms, including noise reduction, SPR, ELA, as well as H. 264 encoder to achieve ultra-high definition 4K 30P single-stream output or HD fHD Rd multi-stream output.

Oh well, so you reckon it'll be expensive too? I don't want the bloody popup flash I'm just scared of the price.
Be afraid, be very afraid...

I'm joking, nobody knows how much it would cost, we'll know in a few days i suppose. If there was some validity to the FF rumors putting it at $2400-2600 then we could gander at a potential price point of $1300-1600 perhaps? It would depend on the "amount" of FF features of course, break down the components, add their value together and someone smarter may get close to that ballpark figure. The D810 currently costs $2999.99 from the Nikon website, the new FF should be even better, but aggressive pricing( YAY) should put it lower in the mid 2000's. The K3 (body only) was priced at $1299 at release, I'd expect a similar price for the K3ii.

I'd personally wouldn't care for the silver, gunmetal or bubblegum versions, don't bother with paint at all, just let me have it for cheap

Last edited by Stavri; 04-20-2015 at 07:49 AM.
04-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #427
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No clue.

04-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I rest my case.
04-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #429
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I decline to speculate on the price.
04-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I decline to speculate on the price.
C'mon ...please?...just a little...
04-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #431

Photos: Gallery
C'mon ...please?...just a little...
any info on the sensor? If no improvements concerning noise/DR it's not of interest for me (I think there has been virtually no improvement since K5 except higher resolution without AA-filter)
04-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #432
Pentaxian

LOL we will know soon enough.
Two days aren't gonna change a thing.
04-20-2015, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #433
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know one thing: Ricoh publicly stated that they want to be #1 in autofocus. Will the K-3 II be their answer to the big two?
04-20-2015, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #434
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
LOL we will know soon enough.
Two days aren't gonna change a thing.

Yep...a lot of speculation.

You know what makes me laugh is that some people are thinking that Pentax is trying out some new innovations now so that they can make changes in the FF before it is released based on feedback from K-3II users. I really don't think that they will be waiting like that until the last minute for a camera that is to be out for sale in October. That would be cutting it really close, 6 months from now, for user feedback and make engineering changes waiting for user change feedback. I did not think Pentax can respond that well...but then again.....this is not pentax now.....it is the new PENTAX. .
04-20-2015, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #435

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
any info on the sensor? If no improvements concerning noise/DR it's not of interest for me (I think there has been virtually no improvement since K5 except higher resolution without AA-filter)
I think good news are very likely. The latest 24 MP Sony sensor (the one used in the D7200) has been updated towards having an 1 EV higher dynamic range, topping even the legendary 16 MP sensor, and of course the previous 24 MP sensor (the one which the K-3 contains). Source: dxomark.

Pentax will most likely want to have the latest sensor from Sony as well, so that the new K-3 is on par with the D7200 and the D5500 with respect to that.

Actually, I believe that the K-3 coming so sudden, must be an emergency reaction caused (or accellerated) by the recent D7200 arrival. At the moment, the D7200 is the package with the best sensor (=best image quality) paired with the best autofocus (taken from the big pro bodies like D4). Ricoh just needed to react to that, URGENTLY.

And I can tell ya, I would have been off to Nikon already in spring, if Ricoh hadn't reacted so quickly.
I always was afraid, that Ricoh could want to delay the K-3 update to happen after the FF arrival in autumn/winter, aiming to maximize the number of upgraders from the K-3 to the more profitable FF system.

Last edited by Frater; 04-20-2015 at 09:05 AM.