Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 198 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #451

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Otherwise one would have to speculate Nikon limited the camera for market positioning reasons
I actually like that the frame rate stays within reasonable bounds, since I've read in a review of the D7200 versus the Canon 7Dii, that the 7Dii (which has a very high framerate as we know) vibrates so much, that the shutter blur caused image blurriness
In doubt, many would prefer a relatively silent shutter (for discreet photography in the public), and sharp pictures.
High frame rates are either for guys wanting to show off with machine gunning, or those a special valid purpose for that (e.g. some fast sports, some speedy animals?)

I hope that the new K-3 framerate doesn't get overdone, and the shutter stays silent.

04-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #452
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
They have to start the production now. And there is no time to put the new stuff in if they got it AFTER official announcement. Hopefully they had it long before...
Nikon announced the D7200 March 2.
04-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #453

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
any info on the sensor? If no improvements concerning noise/DR it's not of interest for me (I think there has been virtually no improvement since K5 except higher resolution without AA-filter)
Nothing confirmed but it's been made pretty clear it'll be the new Sony 24mp sensor (likely in the D7200) which has very good IQ. Hopefully Milbeaut M8-M (PRIME IV?) as the processor.
04-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #454

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
AF-S [...] it is one of the best and most accurate I ever used
Ricoh and I have a different view on this Also Ricoh were so unhappy with the AF, that they saw the urgent requirement to do something about it.

The K-5ii has an unacceptably bad AF-S, regarding the hit rate. Even so that I don't like to wait longer until the end of the year.

Of course, varying mileages could be influenced by shooting style, expectation level, screw drive versus lens motor, general lack of mechanical precision (i.e. lens dependent), etcetera. At least my fashion model is not guilty, she moves slowly and predictably But regularly, when we review the shots on the camera back (i.e. not doing pixelpeeping), I'm a bit fed up of looking in her disappointed face every time when she recognises that some of her favourite shots are not in focus (again). If I don't do something about I't soon, I'm afraid of loosing her. And the joy I draw from people photography as well.

Anyway, if I don't hold a working K-3 II sample in my hands for testing, well before the next Nikon summer cashback will have ended, then.... so Ricoh, better be quick

Last edited by Frater; 04-20-2015 at 11:54 AM.
04-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #455
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
Ricoh and I have a different view on this Also Ricoh were so unhappy with the AF, that they saw the urgent requirement to do something about it. The K-5ii has an unacceptably bad AF-S, regarding the hit rate. That's the reason I didn't want to wait longer until the end of the year.
If I don't hold a working K-3 ii in my hands for testing, before the Nikon summer cashback will have ended, then.... so Ricoh, better be quick
The K3ii is projected to be released sometime this summer...let's say between Cinco De Mayo and Ramadan.
04-20-2015, 11:39 AM - 4 Likes   #456
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
Actually, I believe that the K-3 coming so sudden, must be an emergency reaction caused (or accellerated) by the recent D7200 arrival. At the moment, the D7200 is the package with the best sensor (=best image quality) paired with the best autofocus (taken from the big pro bodies like D4). Ricoh just needed to react to that, URGENTLY.
BS. They don't just wake up one morning and say "gasp Nikon has beat us, we must get a new camera out the door tomorrow". K-3II has been in planning since the day the k-3 was released. And that was 18 months ago so k-3II is almost precisely on the normal 18 month release schedule they have used for high end bodies.
04-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #457
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
BS. They don't just wake up one morning and say "gasp Nikon has beat us, we must get a new camera out the door tomorrow". K-3II has been in planning since the day the k-3 was released. And that was 18 months ago so k-3II is almost precisely on the normal 18 month release schedule they have used for high end bodies.
I concur, we're just getting more goodies thanks to the R&D on the FF, perfect time to upgrade.

04-20-2015, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #458
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please stop quoting this dude. I boriscleto'ed™ him ages ago and if you quote I have to read it.
04-20-2015, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #459
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Frame rate is a system - shutter, sensor, processor, bus - and they all need to integrate with proprietary software and firmware. We believe Pentax has an edge extracting image quality from Sony sensors and integrating the system components. Maybe Nikon spent their effort on WiFi, NFC, 4K video and reprogramming the Milbeaut (EXPEED) image processor at the expense of the bus - or ultimate still image FPS.

Opinion seems to be coalescing around the idea that the K-3II will be cutting edge, best available technology - a real killer camera.
I think Pentax's ability to extract better image quality from sensors is over rated. The D7000 and K5 are close enough that you would have a hard time telling the difference.

I do happen to like Pentax colors really well and believe I can tell the difference, but if you aren't shooting jpeg, I do wonder how much difference there is.
04-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #460
Pentaxian

Please stop quoting this dude. I boriscleto'ed™ him ages ago and if you quote I have to read it.
I've trained myself not to read the quotes. I'll sell you my technique for $20 but it only works if you like dog biscuits.
04-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #461
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
i've trained myself not to read the quotes. I'll sell you my technique for $20 but it only works if you like dog biscuits. :d
04-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #462
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is pretty irritating. The man who knows that the K3 auto focus sucks based on his usage of a K5 and one Amazon review.

---------- Post added 04-20-15 at 03:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've trained myself not to read the quotes. I'll sell you my technique for $20 but it only works if you like dog biscuits.
Yes, but Norm, you also unignore people periodically just to see what they are saying...
04-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #463

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
The K3ii is projected to be released sometime this summer...let's say between Cinco De Mayo and Ramadan.
That's good to hear, that would be between 5th of May and 18th of June. That's overlapping well with the usual cashback period, probably starting begin of May.
Of course, the shops should have it in stock, and not just display "can be ordered now, delivery expected in 4 to 8 weeks" or so.
There's another issue, the initial K-3 prices would be the high RRP, where Nikon's will have come down further by then. But let's worry about this later, as this could well be mitigated by a generous Ricoh cashback.
04-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #464
Pentaxian

It is now 4:30 am on Tuesday April 21st in Tokyo
04-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #465
Pentaxian

Well, its 6am Tuesday in Melbourne, australia.

Hmm. Surely the k3ii has just been released in Fiji!?