Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 198 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #526
Veteran Member

The K3 II specs are making the KS2 look like a FLAGSHIP camera WTH is going on here?

04-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #527
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Hard to know.

A cheap flash is cheaper than GPS and brighter than any built in flash.

I was hoping for a better sensor but the pixel shift might make up for it.

My guess is that the K-3 II and the K-3 get produced in parallel.
I will spare you the details, how i know, who said what but:
(my guarantee) The sensor on the K3ii is THE LATEST AND GREATEST available on the market at this time.

I thought people were taking the lack of pop-up flash pretty well, I should have waited a little longer before I pulled out the worlds smallest violin.

Pentax I going old school, reminiscent of film days. No build in flash. Stick a nifty fifty (or 35mm) get rid of the kit zoom. Let's get back to basics.

Last edited by Stavri; 04-21-2015 at 09:54 AM.
04-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if these specs are true, then this strongly suggests that the FF camera will also come with built-in GPS/Astrotracer and no popup flash (which explains the "bigger" prism). Better get used to packing those AF201FG flashes in your kit!

Michael
04-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #529
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
if these specs are true, then this strongly suggests that the FF camera will also come with built-in GPS/Astrotracer and no popup flash (which explains the "bigger" prism). Better get used to packing those AF201FG flashes in your kit!

Michael
(Packing the AF 201FG), Now i know what that right little pocket (within pocket) on my jeans is for....

04-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How will the K-3II trigger the Pentax Flashes in wireless mode since it use the onboard flash for this purpose? OK 201 FG sure.

Maybe 201fg comes in the box along with charger and battery?
04-21-2015, 09:56 AM - 3 Likes   #531
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An alternate POV:

Thank goodness they got rid of that vestigial built-in flash. I've been carrying around that useless POS all these years and in the handful of times I used it it was pretty much crap. GPS will be much more useful for me. If I need extra light, I'll carry a real flash.
04-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #532
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I will spare you the details, how i know, who said what but:
(my guarantee) The sensor on the K3ii is THE LATEST AND GREATEST available on the market right now.
It better be the best of the lot. 'Better than D7200' is soooooo passe at the moment It better trounce the FF offerings from other players...

QuoteQuote:
I thought people were taking the lack of pop-up flash pretty well, I should have waited a little longer before I pulled out the worlds smallest violin.

Pentax I going old school, reminiscent of film days. No build in flash. Stick a nifty fifty (or 35mm) get rid of the kit zoom. Let's get back to basics.
Pentax as it is seen as a niche player. By shipping a body with no built in flash, it is becoming even more 'nicher' if that is a word. Doesnt take a Wall Street bankster type to know smaller the niche, smaller the money made on the body

---------- Post added 04-21-15 at 09:00 AM ----------

(Packing the AF 201FG), Now i know what that right little pocket (within pocket) on my jeans is for....
You've got a big jeans or a big jeans pocket for sure! And a gear-hauling willingness to boot

04-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote

You've got a big jeans or a big jeans pocket for sure! And a gear-hauling willingness to boot
Let's see those calves in action

...I forgot to mention, its the latest sensor from SONY.

(can't wait to see what Ricoh/Pentax engineers do with it)
04-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #534
Veteran Member

...I forgot to mention, its the latest sensor from Sony. (can't wait to see what Ricoh/Pentax engineers do with it)
Tease
04-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #535
Veteran Member

Tease
here's my "cryptic" post from yesterday:

If Ricoh/Pentax has any intentions to built the class leading K3 Mark II APS-C camera that has no pop-up flash, what could it possibly offer in terms of upgrades over the older K3?

An APS-C camera with the sensor "characteristics" of the K5/ii/s and performance of the K3, IMO it's enough reason to celebrate

Last edited by Stavri; 04-21-2015 at 10:15 AM.
04-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #536
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Let's see those calves in action

...I forgot to mention, its the latest sensor from SONY.

(can't wait to see what Ricoh/Pentax engineers do with it)

What Nikon did with it?

Comparison 2: Nikon D7200 vs Canon 7D Mark II vs Sony A77 II - DxOMark
04-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #537
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
An alternate POV:

Thank goodness they got rid of that vestigial built-in flash. I've been carrying around that useless POS all these years and in the handful of times I used it it was pretty much crap. GPS will be much more useful for me. If I need extra light, I'll carry a real flash.
Agreed!
04-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #538
Veteran Member

Hard to know.

A cheap flash is cheaper than GPS and brighter than any built in flash.

I was hoping for a better sensor but the pixel shift might make up for it.

My guess is that the K-3 II and the K-3 get produced in parallel.

Yea, but you don't ALWAYS have the cheap flash with you...
04-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #539
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Yea, but you don't ALWAYS have the cheap flash with you...
I haven't found good results with the built in flash. Pretty much had to ditch the photos each time. Maybe if I carried some kind of diffuser for it, it would be helpful, but then I might as well carry along an external flash and bounce or, just push my iso up.
04-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #540
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I haven't found good results with the built in flash. Pretty much had to ditch the photos each time. Maybe if I carried some kind of diffuser for it, it would be helpful, but then I might as well carry along an external flash and bounce or, just push my iso up.

As the example I used to illustrate why it's good shows: The built in flash is EXCELLENT at fill flash. Anything else, not so much. But as the shot of the tulip's is one of my biggest sellers, and could not and would not have been made without a built in flash, I am reluctant to give it up...

Might just have to pass on the K3II and pick up another cheap cheap cheap K3. We'll see.