Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 198 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 12:35 AM - 4 Likes   #571
Forum Member

I am mostly a reader here and do not comment that often, but now I feel the urge to respond. Why? Because of all the complaining people who apparantly live in a fairy world where an upgrade/facelift of an existing product leads to a whole different camera. given the chassis that Pentax already have and continue to use, that is simply impossible. We all know that space is limited in such a top level DSLR, so if you want to add stuff, sometimes you have to get rid of something else.

Remember the announcement of K5-II/IIs? People were not too excited about just an updated AF (just more light sensitive, nothing else remember?) and the option to ditch the filter, but it turned out to be a fabulous camera that earned his spot next to the much appraised and beloved K-5. This time we might get:
- an improved sensor
- improved AF
- pixelshift enhancing resolution
- improved stabilisation (3.5 -> 4.5 stops)
- GPS with astrotracer

And people are complaining that the onboard flash has gone? Really? This is a major upgrade in almost all areas! If anything it will encourage customers to buy an external flash (which does not necessarily have to be expensive) and discover how nice it is to take pictures with a proper flash. I agree that wifi instead of Flu card is still something to be desired, but I am sure that will be fixed in the new chassis of the successor of the K-3II, because than they can really start from scratch and create space to fit new components. We might even get the onboard flash back ;-). Furthermore it is just ridiculous that people ditch a camera before they have even seen one single shot made with it, it is not all about the specifications people, it is about the end result: a nice photograph. If you do not need these improvements be happy, it will save you money, but I for one am very happy that Pentax really makes an effort and does that so much earlier than many anticipated.

So could we please stop complaining and just wait for the full and official specs tomorrow? Please?

My two cents is that the K3 will continue to be sold with the K3II.

04-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #572
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
An alternate POV:

Thank goodness they got rid of that vestigial built-in flash. I've been carrying around that useless POS all these years and in the handful of times I used it it was pretty much crap. GPS will be much more useful for me. If I need extra light, I'll carry a real flash.
And if I need to know where I am, I will carry an atlas...

As has been said, the GPS has zero effect on IQ. Whereas the built-in flash is not a substitute for s "real" flash, it still has its purposes, especially when you didn't want to carry one in the first place.

I'm willing to bet that more people would find the built-in flash more useful than the GPS.
04-22-2015, 01:24 AM   #573
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I can see it now, leave my bag in my car and just have my camera and lens, walk around with a shot ready to go and then, oh wait, I did not bring my flash, I need to go back to get it. I come back and the light is off, or if I have friends in the shadows and tell them be right back. I could see pro users who spend a majority of their time shooting in studio don't really care about and an onboard and I would not care in that situation either. But you have a WR camera and lens combo so you most likely want to be out and about, and there are many times when I don't want to carry my camera bag with me, just my camera.
Sounds like the original K-3 is right up your alley then. But someone who values geotagging/astrotracer has had to carry around the O-GPS1 module up to now instead of just their camera. And they had to pony up an extra $200 for the accessory. Now the situation is flipped and those who want flash functionality will have to buy an external flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
And if I need to know where I am, I will carry an atlas...

As has been said, the GPS has zero effect on IQ. Whereas the built-in flash is not a substitute for s "real" flash, it still has its purposes, especially when you didn't want to carry one in the first place.

I'm willing to bet that more people would find the built-in flash more useful than the GPS.
It has an effect on the IQ your starscape photos!

And yes, I imagine you are right on the last point. Ricoh has made a change--we the market will tell them if it is a smart one.

I seem to be hearing a lot of "This is barely an upgrade, why bother?" right along side "These changes suck and harm the camera!"....so for these people I say, the K-3 is still being sold new, and no doubt the K-3II will debut at a higher price. So go for the K-3 and be happy.

Me? I would miss the flash on occasions, yes. And I do wish they added WiFi and did away with this FluCard kludge. But the GPS/astrotracer would definitely get used in my hands.
04-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #574
Pentaxian

Yeah, or as others say, keep your external with you at all times. Lack of convenience sucks.

I can see it now, leave my bag in my car and just have my camera and lens, walk around with a shot ready to go and then, oh wait, I did not bring my flash, I need to go back to get it. I come back and the light is off, or if I have friends in the shadows and tell them be right back. I could see pro users who spend a majority of their time shooting in studio don't really care about and an onboard and I would not care in that situation either. But you have a WR camera and lens combo so you most likely want to be out and about, and there are many times when I don't want to carry my camera bag with me, just my camera.

Nice pics by the way
Oh, come on, this is starting to get ridiculous. No offence, but what is wrong with a model in the portfolio of a manufacturer that gives costumers another ADDITIONAL choice? It is not terminating all K-3 the moment it is presented but gives people a choice. I just ask everybody who says this is only a insignificant update to the k-3 and even worse, he WILL miss some of their features, but why SHOULD he? The K-3 is still there, it will be there and a new model will come soon, but probably only after the FF has been released, but there is nothing wrong with the k-3, especially if it seems to tick so many boxes for you.

04-22-2015, 01:37 AM   #575
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Oh, come on, this is starting to get ridiculous. No offence, but what is wrong with a model in the portfolio of a manufacturer that gives costumers another ADDITIONAL choice? It is not terminating all K-3 the moment it is presented but gives people a choice. I just ask everybody who says this is only a insignificant update to the k-3 and even worse, he WILL miss some of their features, but why SHOULD he? The K-3 is still there, it will be there and a new model will come soon, but probably only after the FF has been released, but there is nothing wrong with the k-3, especially if it seems to tick so many boxes for you.
If Pentax are removing the built-in flash on their higher-end cameras now I doubt it will be returning in a future K-2. That's the problem. Obviously people with a K-3 can continue to use their built-in flashes.
04-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #576
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Sounds like the original K-3 is right up your alley then. But someone who values geotagging/astrotracer has had to carry around the O-GPS1 module up to now instead of just their camera. And they had to pony up an extra $200 for the accessory. Now the situation is flipped and those who want flash functionality will have to buy an external flash.

It has an effect on the IQ your starscape photos!

And yes, I imagine you are right on the last point. Ricoh has made a change--we the market will tell them if it is a smart one.

I seem to be hearing a lot of "This is barely an upgrade, why bother?" right along side "These changes suck and harm the camera!"....so for these people I say, the K-3 is still being sold new, and no doubt the K-3II will debut at a higher price. So go for the K-3 and be happy.

Me? I would miss the flash on occasions, yes. And I do wish they added WiFi and did away with this FluCard kludge. But the GPS/astrotracer would definitely get used in my hands.

I see a poll thread coming.

I agree with you and am happy that you have the build in GPS. In your hands it is a major upgrade and that is what will make a camera great for you. My problem is why downgrade one area to upgrade another, why not do both and all people would be happy.
04-22-2015, 02:06 AM   #577
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For those who want an onboard flash, it seems this body won't be for you. I do wonder, though, why camera-makers haven't gone the way of the phone camera makers and moved to on-board high-intensity LEDs. They take less power and less space, and you can mount them in a number of places for different effects (the K-S1 seems to have missed this opportunity). Perhaps we'll see them in a future DSLR.

04-22-2015, 02:19 AM   #578

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm with you regarding the convienience of having on board flash. Using the K3 as a bit of everything type camera, fill flash is a key part..... maybe only 1 in a 100 shots.....but nice to have.

Goolwa Sunflower.jpg
by Noelpolar, on Flickr

reunited.jpg
by Noelpolar, on Flickr
Thank you Noel for showing these nice pics as a motivation. They remind me on the image-enhancing possibilities of using it as a shadow fill flash outdoors. Obviously this can make the difference to a pic. I think I will use it more often and more deliberately from now on I also just ordered a tiny foldeable "soft-box" for pop-up flashes. Great for vacation (doesn't weigh anything) and it is brand-neutral (as usual for such stuff) so that I can use it on my next, previous and future DSLRs.

Last edited by Frater; 04-22-2015 at 02:30 AM.
04-22-2015, 02:36 AM   #579
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still think that people must not use the onboard flash properly and that is why they don't like it..
You may be right there about some people. However, I do not like any flash, period. So definitely not unhappy to see the on-board flas make way to GPS which is much more useful for me.
04-22-2015, 02:54 AM   #580
Pentaxian

I still would like to have a built in flash just in case of emergencies. Anyway, I wouldn't fret over since it doesn't have it. I would prefer no hardware problems such as the mirror flap. As soon as I have the funds, I might get one.
04-22-2015, 02:55 AM   #581

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I'll love to see around 10 fps so it can be the same as 7Dmk2... its all about marketing
yep, all about marketing but not all to much about photography
When ever someone mentions fps, that reminds me on DigitalRev TV's video where Kai makes fun of a certain type of photographer using an expensive Canon body with a high FPS (coincidentially 10 fps) but no flash. Yes he also makes fun about having no pop-up flash, but a big external one instead ("my assistant carries it for me"). One of my favourite DigitalRev TV videos

What I would be interested myself, with regards to fps: Will it be possible to tune it towards your sweet spoot of your specific work. For myself (people photo), I would regard 4 fps as my sweet spot, possibly even less, because body language expressions don't change that quickly. Hope that PDF manuals will be downloadable soon. The D7200 offers this flexibility (any fps number starting from 1), just checked its PDF manual.

Last edited by Frater; 04-22-2015 at 03:28 AM.
04-22-2015, 02:56 AM - 2 Likes   #582
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the end, this is about choice. I don't understand why people are upset that Ricoh is offering another choice to Pentaxians. If you need a pop up flash and wifi, there is always a K-S2. If you want a pop up flash and can deal with a flu card, there is the original K3.

Clearly, there wasn't space for everything and they decided they were going to include some features and leave others out. Maybe it was all they could do with the existing body they were working with. Maybe there was a particular price point they didn't want to go over. Maybe they just didn't think upper end users use the pop flash that much.

It doesn't really matter. The question is whether the new body is something that you need/want or not. If you are happy with what you have now, then keep shooting in good health, this camera isn't for you and its release will not in any way diminish the other cameras that Pentax offers.
04-22-2015, 03:01 AM   #583
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
In the end, this is about choice. I don't understand why people are upset that Ricoh is offering another choice to Pentaxians. If you need a pop up flash and wifi, there is always a K-S2. If you want a pop up flash and can deal with a flu card, there is the original K3.

Clearly, there wasn't space for everything and they decided they were going to include some features and leave others out. Maybe it was all they could do with the existing body they were working with. Maybe there was a particular price point they didn't want to go over. Maybe they just didn't think upper end users use the pop flash that much.

It doesn't really matter. The question is whether the new body is something that you need/want or not. If you are happy with what you have now, then keep shooting in good health, this camera isn't for you and its release will not in any way diminish the other cameras that Pentax offers.
I think the point is that for many people in this thread it was a surprising move by Ricoh.

It's also not really about choice. OK, at the moment the K-3 and K-3II will be available new alongside each other but it's not going to be long before the K-3 runs out of stock. For me it's about the future and whether future K's in this line also lack the flash. It's Ricoh signposting that this choice will be gone in the near future. That's the problem.
04-22-2015, 03:34 AM   #584
bxf
Veteran Member

I guess the "problem" with viewing the models simply as a choice is that one wants (some of) the improvements of the newer model, without having to give up anything one is used to having.
04-22-2015, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #585
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I guess the "problem" with viewing the models simply as a choice is that one wants (some of) the improvements of the newer model, without having to give up anything one is used to having.
Yeah, well...
Nobody complains because the Ferrari can't move 5 people at the same time, or do some?
You take the same cam, you upgrade 4-5 points. You replace one with another one (which btw, allows to have both a GPS connected and a flash which was impossible before) and people moan like sh*t because of the last point. Give me a break.