Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 198 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 03:44 AM   #586

I actually start to doubt that Ricoh dropped the flash, because this would have been an unplausible shot into their foot (for any camera aimed also for outdoor and adventure use, with its compactness, robustness, and weather resistance). Having to carry and use an external flash would be neither a compact nor a robust nor a weather resistant setup. It would just spoil the entire kit.

Remember this is a Google translated feature list. How easily can creep a wrong word into that.

Also, why would a company want to explicitly mention in a feature list, what's NOT going to be included.

That's all too strange for me. I'll stop commenting on the alleged flash loss disaster until tomorrow, when we have a feature list in better English.

Last edited by Frater; 04-22-2015 at 03:55 AM.
04-22-2015, 03:53 AM   #587
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
I actually start to doubt that Ricoh dropped the flash,
There is no flash logo on the former flash release button and there are screws in de top cap that would prevent it from popping up.
04-22-2015, 04:07 AM - 2 Likes   #588
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
I actually start to doubt that Ricoh dropped the flash, because this would have been an unplausible shot into their foot (for any camera aimed also for outdoor and adventure use, with its compactness, robustness, and weather resistance). Having to carry and use an external flash would be neither a compact nor a robust nor a weather resistant setup. It would just spoil the entire kit.

Remember this is a Google translated feature list. How easily can creep a wrong word into that.

Also, why would a company want to explicitly mention in a feature list, what's NOT going to be included.

That's all too strange for me. I'll stop commenting on the alleged flash loss disaster until tomorrow, when we have a feature list in better English.

Hear this, you foolish and senseless people, who have eyes but do not see, who have ears but do not hear (Jeremiah 5:21):

04-22-2015, 04:13 AM   #589
Pentaxian

I think removing the flash has something to do with the dust and water proof feature. Probably this is no longer a WR product but an AW product. Better sealing with lesser moving parts. It's just a hunch.

04-22-2015, 04:19 AM   #590

Im still not 100% convinced.
The rounded gap on the back of the flash lid (if it is one) may suggest it can popup?
The screw may not fix the lid to the body, but maybe it fixes an internal flash to the lid?
Maybe the button is on the other side now?

On the other hand, the gap between lid and body is barely visible.

I admit I'm entering the stage of desperate wishful thinking now. Hope dies last.

Last edited by Frater; 04-22-2015 at 04:49 AM.
04-22-2015, 04:38 AM   #591
Veteran Member

Just my two-penn'orth... I have an OPS-1 because I like to geotag my photos, but I would prefer GPS built into the camera as this will give me the option to fit an external flash (I can't use the built-in flash with the OPS-1 on my camera anyway). Lack of WiFi did surprise me a bit, but maybe that has something to do with the metal chassis of the camera. However, I never use WiFi anyway, and there is always the flu card option. I can't think of much I need that the K-3 does not already give me, but I will take any improvement in autofocus and image quality I can get. These are paramount to me: I don't need any other "features", though I recognise they may be useful for some people and for bragging rights. I am going to buy the FF when it appears, but my immediate decision is whether I buy a K-3 II. That's a tough one, given that the K-3 already exceeds what I can do as a photographer but, knowing me, it will probably find a place in my camera bag.
04-22-2015, 04:44 AM   #592
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I think Ricoh should do away with the white balance modes and add a cell phone feature. Or remove the RAW file formats and add a note pad feature...

My main point is that a flash actually DIRECTLY affects the look of your photograph. GPS and wifi, not so much.

It's supposed to be a camera. Where and what are the philosophical design priorities in removing a flash and adding a GPS? Continue down that road and evolutionarily some day you might end up making cappuccinos with your camera instead of taking photos.
I agree, but it seems there is still upgrade in photo ability in the K-3 II versus initial version, so i am not that angry, provided there is a "free" AF201FG in the regular kits.

@ Mistral : yes we see the screw, but you will recieve à warning unless you remove your quote

Last edited by Zygonyx; 04-22-2015 at 04:50 AM.
04-22-2015, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #593
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have tried really hard to resist commenting on this thread, but the nonsense level is getting deafening.
Final specs are yet to come, and even the nay-sayers might yet change their tune.

BUT....

If you want WiFi right now, get a K-S2.
If you want a swivel screen, get the K-S2.
If you really can't stand carrying a flash, get a K-S2 or K-3 mark I.

Just STOP WHINGING!!
04-22-2015, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #594
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I didn't have a K-3 already I'd buy this mini-FF pre-order just to enjoy the camera while so many others wait for the "real" user reviews, the lower price or something else.

As it is I'll buy the FF, which will probably have this configuration and more. The KS-2 looks nice but I don't need or want that feature set. I neeed THIS feature set - and a 201FG.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-22-2015 at 04:54 AM.
04-22-2015, 05:02 AM   #595
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oh, and the curious "Improved Anchimoare function" should have been translated as "Improved Anti-moire function"

Michael
04-22-2015, 05:05 AM   #596
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I didn't have a K-3 already I'd buy this mini-FF pre-order just to enjoy the camera while so many others wait for the "real" user reviews, the lower price or something else.

As it is I'll buy the FF, which will probably have this configuration and more. The KS-2 looks nice but I don't need or want that feature set. I neeed THIS feature set - and a 201FG.
I will have both this and the FF in my bag at all jobs. Cant wait. Both my K-3's has served me well and will get a deserved retirement
04-22-2015, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #597
Veteran Member

I'm pretty excited for these updates to the K3. I care not of on camera flash. I'd super glue mine down if I wasn't worried about damaging the camera
04-22-2015, 05:08 AM   #598

Photos: Albums
Be convinced all those who haven't noticed the other thread in which this link was posted:

Pentax Unveils the K-3 II: First Look | Expert photography blogs, tip, techniques, camera reviews - Adorama Learning Center
04-22-2015, 05:08 AM   #599
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
"Improved Anchimoare function" should have been translated as "Improved Anti-moire function"
It seems the Japanese have no word for anti-moire so they phoneticized the English one. How Google translates that back to Anchimoare is a mystery.
04-22-2015, 05:11 AM   #600
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I will have both this and the FF in my bag at all jobs. Cant wait. Both my K-3's has served me well and will get a deserved retirement
No, no, no! They will get bored. Send them to me!!