Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 05:12 AM   #601
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
No, no, no! They will get bored. Send them to me!!
Not shure how Ricoh would react to that..I can say i lost them maybe?

04-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
Having to carry and use an external flash would be neither a compact nor a robust nor a weather resistant setup. It would just spoil the entire kit.
And people who wanted GPS/Astrotracer previously could have made the exact same comment about the O-GPS1 unit.

Don't get me wrong, it would be cool if they had maintained the built in flash. But since they are using the same K-3 body, maybe it was impractical. Who knows, the next iteration of the APS-C flagship might have both.
04-22-2015, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #603
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It has a pop-up flash, PentaxIsDooomed™

It doesn't have a pop-up flash, PentaxIsDooomed™
04-22-2015, 05:44 AM   #604

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
And people who wanted GPS/Astrotracer previously could have made the exact same comment about the O-GPS1 unit.
But the O-GPS1 as part of a kit would have been nicer than loosing the Flash IMO. The O-GPS1 is small, light, looks good, almost sexy when mounted, a nice eye catcher making others curious or jealous, and is much more compact than a bulky external system flash unit.

The built-in GPS, on the other hand, shares most likely the tiny and cheapo design used as mass products in smartphones. Someone with higher sensitivity and reliability demands in the wilderness will need to have a proper unit anyway, e.g. from Garmin.

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Don't get me wrong, it would be cool if they had maintained the built in flash. But since they are using the same K-3 body, maybe it was impractical. Who knows, the next iteration of the APS-C flagship might have both.
Another good idea comes into my mind. What if Ricoh could mitigate the flash loss issue by inventing a tiny foldeable flash unit, not bigger than the external GPS unit (but extractable to gain height). Maybe with a few super-bright white LEDs, if this helps keeping things tiny?

Last edited by Frater; 04-22-2015 at 05:51 AM.
04-22-2015, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #605
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I gotta admit that the built-in flash of the K-3, K-5, and others before it have done one thing reliably and consistently for me over the years...make me wish I had brought a real flash along.
04-22-2015, 05:56 AM   #606
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I will have both this and the FF in my bag at all jobs. Cant wait. Both my K-3's has served me well and will get a deserved retirement
Again, lucky you. You get it for free and get paid using it.
04-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #607
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Again, lucky you. You get it for free and get paid using it.
Still have to do much other work to get the wheels to turn But yes, i am in a lucky position. I can't say different

04-22-2015, 06:01 AM   #608
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
This message is hidden because Frater is on your boriscleto™ list.

In about half a day I'll want to remove this member just to read his blustering objections to the actual feature set of the new K-5II.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-22-2015 at 06:22 AM.
04-22-2015, 06:14 AM   #609

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It has a pop-up flash, PentaxIsDooomed™
It doesn't have a pop-up flash, PentaxIsDooomed™
No, of course Pentax isn't doomed because of the K-3ii having or not having a pop-up-flash.

It's just that the K-3ii will have another issue giving it a harder time standing against e.g. the Nikon D7200, which wouldn't have been necessary. I assume the tiny flash lights are cheap, so that it's not about costs.

The resolution enhancement thing doesn't set off much, because essentially it is for indoor stills use only.
Outdoors in the wind, too many things move all the time (leaves, twigs, flowers, clouds, water surfaces), which would introduce severe false color artefacts all over the image, as R/G/B channels would be recorded at different times.

Even long distance objects wobble slightly all the time due to atmospheric turbulences. I'm not talking about photography in deserts or canyons, also astro photographers know about this.

But it'll be fine for photographing test targets at home I'm 100% confident that we'll se a lot of crops from the inner area of Siemens stars.

Last edited by Frater; 04-22-2015 at 06:34 AM.
04-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #610
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
OK, now you are just trolling.
Of course he is, he was before and he stil is.
Won't continue for weeks hopefully. Any mod help? Please?
04-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #611

Perhaps packages will come along bundling the K-3II with the AF201FG at a discount.
04-22-2015, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #612
Pentaxian

Built in GPS good, no swivel screen, bad.
04-22-2015, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #613
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It seems the Japanese have no word for anti-moire so they phoneticized the English one. How Google translates that back to Anchimoare is a mystery.
Actually it isn't; it was most likely converted from katakana. And in katakana there is no 'ti' but there is a 'chi' which they used instead.
04-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Built in GPS good,
Yep!
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
no swivel screen, bad.
We'll have to wait for the next complete body redesign. K-3 body is essentially the K-7 with slight modifications.

What new body does logic tell you will be the base for the next several generations of both flaghships (and maybe a true mid-range, K-Sx series aside), and what body feature(s) do you think it will introduce?
04-22-2015, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #615
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
(...)

What new body does logic tell you will be the base for the next several generations of both flaghships (and maybe a true mid-range, K-Sx series aside), and what body feature(s) do you think it will introduce?
I wonder...