Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #616

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lampo Quote
I am mostly a reader here and do not comment that often, but now I feel the urge to respond. Why? Because of all the complaining people who apparantly live in a fairy world where an upgrade/facelift of an existing product leads to a whole different camera. given the chassis that Pentax already have and continue to use, that is simply impossible. We all know that space is limited in such a top level DSLR, so if you want to add stuff, sometimes you have to get rid of something else.

Remember the announcement of K5-II/IIs? People were not too excited about just an updated AF (just more light sensitive, nothing else remember?) and the option to ditch the filter, but it turned out to be a fabulous camera that earned his spot next to the much appraised and beloved K-5. This time we might get:
- an improved sensor
- improved AF
- pixelshift enhancing resolution
- improved stabilisation (3.5 -> 4.5 stops)
- GPS with astrotracer

And people are complaining that the onboard flash has gone? Really? This is a major upgrade in almost all areas! If anything it will encourage customers to buy an external flash (which does not necessarily have to be expensive) and discover how nice it is to take pictures with a proper flash. I agree that wifi instead of Flu card is still something to be desired, but I am sure that will be fixed in the new chassis of the successor of the K-3II, because than they can really start from scratch and create space to fit new components. We might even get the onboard flash back ;-). Furthermore it is just ridiculous that people ditch a camera before they have even seen one single shot made with it, it is not all about the specifications people, it is about the end result: a nice photograph. If you do not need these improvements be happy, it will save you money, but I for one am very happy that Pentax really makes an effort and does that so much earlier than many anticipated.

So could we please stop complaining and just wait for the full and official specs tomorrow? Please?

My two cents is that the K3 will continue to be sold with the K3II.
Yes I hear you BUT

I can get the prestige k3 with grip for £850 the new k3ii will cost £1300 my be more,
but there will be a £450/500 difference and the k3ii upgrade is just not worth it for some folks that's what I think,

granted some will like the upgrade because it suits them but not others.

with a saving of £450 at least, the K3 starts to look like a better buy, ( in my way of thinking )

also the k3 will come down in price when they launch the new one

Tom G

04-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #617
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep!We'll have to wait for the next complete body redesign. K-3 body is essentially the K-7 with slight modifications.

What new body does logic tell you will be the base for the next several generations of both flaghships (and maybe a true mid-range, K-Sx series aside), and what body feature(s) do you think it will introduce?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I wonder...
Credit where credit is due:

Mistral75's post on the other thread
04-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
also the k3 will come down in price when they launch the new one
Or it will go UP in price since the higher-spec'ed new version is much higher priced.

If the K-3 is continued they'll need to make new cameras rather than liquidating inventory at liquidation prices.
04-22-2015, 06:56 AM   #619
Veteran Member

the difference in picture quality will be so noticable, that i really can't understand all the complaining. And this even without knowing everything the K-3 Mark II will feature. Some people....Oh well, someone will never be satisfied no matter what

04-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #620
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
the difference in picture quality will be so noticable, that i really can't understand all the complaining. And this even without knowing everything the K-3 Mark II will feature. Some people....Oh well, someone will never be satisfied no matter what
It's just that there are a number of users who only come here to complain about new releases. Then there are those who come here to post a GBCW, then stick around to shill for their new brand.

Case in point, from another thread...

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 10.04.38 AM.png
Views: 270
Size:  68.7 KB
04-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #621
Pentaxian

the difference in picture quality will be so noticable, that i really can't understand all the complaining.
That's because they haven't had the benefit to see de picture improvement yet.
04-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #622
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They don't care. Except if itsn't good enough, then they can complain about IQ too

04-22-2015, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #623
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
then they can complain about IQ too
their lack of?
04-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
But the O-GPS1 as part of a kit would have been nicer than loosing the Flash IMO. The O-GPS1 is small, light, looks good, almost sexy when mounted, a nice eye catcher making others curious or jealous, and is much more compact than a bulky external system flash unit.

The built-in GPS, on the other hand, shares most likely the tiny and cheapo design used as mass products in smartphones. Someone with higher sensitivity and reliability demands in the wilderness will need to have a proper unit anyway, e.g. from Garmin.

Another good idea comes into my mind. What if Ricoh could mitigate the flash loss issue by inventing a tiny foldeable flash unit, not bigger than the external GPS unit (but extractable to gain height). Maybe with a few super-bright white LEDs, if this helps keeping things tiny?
Come on. Lass die Kirche im Dorf. Keep the church in the village (German phrase), means, keep some sanity...

What do you think could be a target group of a camera with this profile? Someone wanting to spend a lot of time outdoor with a camera which helps him to keep track of his phototours, even allows him to filter and sort his entire photocollection by coutry, location, site and helps him to find photos of a certain area by drawing a polygon on a map? Which is done with an integrated solution that collects the standpoint, the direction, the focal length, the focus distance. This is a highly professional tool and this information can by no means be collected additionally in any convenient way. But this is probably not what a cat and kids photographer would be looking for, alright.

But I agree, bring a small foldable flash, and this discussion is finished fast. Like this: Tested: Olympus RC flash system vs. Nikon CLS | Lighting Rumours

And before we don't know all details officialy chances are high that all this moaning and argueing will just expose some people in a bad light in the end, but this is not my problem.
04-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #625

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Or it will go UP in price since the higher-spec'ed new version is much higher priced.

If the K-3 is continued they'll need to make new cameras rather than liquidating inventory at liquidation prices.
it will go UP in price says monochrome
I don't think so
as I said k3 is a better buy in my books, saving £450/£500 ( and I'm talking about the Prestige edition Gunmetal with grip )
, and I don't think there will be much difference in IQ well maybe the pixel-peepers will see a difference
Tom G
04-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
it will go UP in price says monochrome
I don't think so
as I said k3 is a better buy in my books, saving £450/£500 ( and I'm talking about the Prestige edition Gunmetal with grip )
, and I don't think there will be much difference in IQ well maybe the pixel-peepers will see a difference
Tom G
Jump the gun much?

1) We haven't even see the official press release plus specs.
2) We do not know how much the picture quality will differ.

That is, the rest of us. You, however, somehow know all of this already?
04-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #627
Pentaxian

There is only one thing worth knowing: PentaxIsDoomed
04-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #628
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I guess the "problem" with viewing the models simply as a choice is that one wants (some of) the improvements of the newer model, without having to give up anything one is used to having.
And to add to this, Ricoh has stated with their introduction of the lower models is to pull in some of the cell-phone-photo crowd (questionable how well that went with the k-s1...) but those folks are entry-level people that would appreciate the convenience of an on-board flash, not to mention its usefulness. By removing it you have limited the eventual upgrade path that the customer has when they outgrow their entry-level cameras, and they may look elsewhere. That and immediately cutting out a segment of the market that will not buy a camera without one will limit Ricoh's potential customer base. I think this is about choice, and those choices may impact the short and long-term growth prospects of the company's brand - PENTAX. They should be focusing on customer attraction and retention and it appears this will do neither.
04-22-2015, 07:30 AM - 2 Likes   #629
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I guess someone always will complain

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
They don't care. Except if itsn't good enough, then they can complain about IQ too
Oh well..their loss..Negativity never makes the day better
04-22-2015, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #630
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

i really can't understand all the complaining. And this even without knowing everything the K-3 Mark II will feature.
I have a theory about that.
Some people love to complain so much that they're afraid to wait for the facts, just in case it turns out the specs are something they actually like. They don't want to risk having nothing to complain about so get an early start.