Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #691
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wouldn't want to be the Sony product manager tomorrow. Dude - BAD timing.
Maybe its revenge from Sony? We did steal one of their top guys

04-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #692
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Too bad that Sony has a big announcement tomorrow as well. Is there a fair coming up? The K-3 II might get snowed under when an A7r II and a A6100 are announced with a new rx-1 or 100 to top it of.
Their two new lenses with LCD read-outs built-in? Or is there more to come?
04-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #693
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
No, Zeiss Batis lenses are from Carl Zeiss AG, not Sony; kind of mini-Otuses with autofocus (or maxi-Touits).

Last edited by Mistral75; 04-22-2015 at 02:37 PM.
04-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #694
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Maybe its revenge from Sony? We did steal one of their top guys
Yes. And we banished him to Denver.

04-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #695
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There is a scheduled Sony press conference for tomorrow | Photo Rumors
04-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #696
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those new specs look mighty impressive. No pop-up flash is not a huge deal for me (and it so happened that the one on my K-5 failed yesterday), but I'm really looking forward to the new AF algorithms.

If the reviews agree that the new AF algorithms are a significant improvement, then I'll be getting the K-3 II as soon as I am financially able. The original K-3 had some pretty impressive AF and metering hardware, and I only felt it was hamstrung by immature software. This may just be the tipping point for me to upgrade.

I can already see myself wielding a K-3 II with my DA* 60-250mm on it...

—DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 04-22-2015 at 02:45 PM.
04-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #697
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes. And we banished him to Denver.
That doesn't sound good

---------- Post added 04-22-15 at 11:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
K-3 had some pretty impressive AF
AF-S was top notch...AF-C not so much! But that is VERY much improved now.

04-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #698
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
The original K-3 had some pretty impressive AF and metering hardware, and I only felt it was hamstrung by immature software. This may just be the tipping point for me to upgrade.

—DragonLord
It's was really the fault of SDM motors, under-designed and under-performing. In fact we have yet to truly realize the K3 auto focus performance. The new -D-FAs should help us get a better understanding.
04-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #699
Pentaxian

(...)

AF-S was top notch...AF-C not so much! But that is VERY much improved now.
How do you know apart from reading the press release and other marketing material ahead of public distribution?
I can't tell for shure. Not even Ricoh Norway have seen it yet. I know what features it has, but never seen it We all know soon!
04-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #700
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
How do you know apart from reading the press release and other marketing material ahead of public distribution?
Because i have had meetings with Ricoh. About the features and what are especially improved in this new camera. AF-C was one of the things that have been worked on. Thats why
04-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #701
Pentaxian

Because i have had meetings with Ricoh. About the features and what are especially improved in this new camera. AF-C was one of the things that have been worked on. Thats why
I do not question your enthusiasm but you realize this is hearsay, don't you? Hearsay from people whose job is to be convincing enough so that, as a Pentax ambassador, you will then evangelize the masses.
04-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #702
Pentaxian

It's there Hands-on with the Pentax K-3 II: Digital Photography Review we can stop discussing rumors now
04-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #703
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
What does the history have to do with it? I started out when aperture-preferred was an advanced mode. For a long time, I ignored the on-board flash in preference to use of an external flash (not to mention that the *istD had circuit board problems where the flash would drain the battery well beyond what should have been required)
My point was that whoever added flash to high-end cameras (was it the same Canon crew that gave us the awful black "stealth" cameras?) may have just done it as a marketing move. There is no necessary reason for a camera with a hot-shoe to also have a flash built in. YMMV, but my experience has been that flashes are one of the least reliable parts of photographic equipment; since they are also amongst the least needed in the basic camera, that is the obvious thing to remove if something has to be removed for some reason (comparing my Pentax Super Program, bought in 1984, with my Canon EOS Elan bought in 1995, it appears to me that the volume of the "hump" more than doubled when they stuff a flash in there).

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
As for not reliable? Really, you haven't had an RF battery fail, bad connection, let alone the myriad problems inherent in pTTL? A nice solution would be for Pentax to restore real TTL by putting a sensor in the body - that would be a step in the right direction. Instead, they abandoned the far-superior legacy TTL version in the crappy, decontented new flashes. In any event, a decent optical slave (such as the Wein HS) is virtually 100% reliable from a wide spread of angles - with a very low trigger; the only problem are situations where you have other flashes triggering. A decent optical slave gets very reliable results.
Apparently our experiences differ

I'm not sure why this has become such a hot issue. In just a few hours we will find out what they have actually done. We may even understand why they have done what they have done. In the meantime, it would have been sufficient for some to say "bad" and for others to say "good". And I'm going to take my own advice; I have expressed my opinion, and why. Now I will wait for actual news and make no more comments on the matter of flash in the meantime.
04-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I do not question your enthusiasm but you realize this is hearsay, don't you? Hearsay from people whose job is to be convincing enough so that, as a Pentax ambassador, you will then evangelize the masses.
No, not exactly. My ambassador deal is nothing like that. I not there to sell or evangelize the masses. My main duty is to be shown in the pro marked. Show other pros that Pentax is back. And to give rapports back on everything i feel needed to say. What is my own experience with the gear, and what i hear from others. I have it in my agreement that i can speak freely about how i feel about Pentax and all the gear i use. I am not obligated to be here or in other social medias as an ambassador at all. All this time i spend here and on other places, i do ONLY by my own enthusiasm. I am not the kind of ambassador you maybe think i am. This is why i so often have meetings with them too..So i all the time know their plans, what they are working on and what is coming when. And tell them when i think something is wrong and what is missing etc. So please don't accuse me of being something i am not.
04-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #705
Pentaxian

I am not accusing you. Of anything. Just pointing out that you can be 'oriented' without your knowledge.