Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 03:17 AM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Solaire Quote
I think the problem with articulating screen is that they break easily. The original K3 was/is famous for being built like a tank, Ricoh probably didn't want to risk it.
People say this a lot but I am not entirely sure it's true, or at least I've not seem any evidence that it is. Sure, they could be broken more easily as they add an extra 'moving part' but I wonder how many people have actually done so in a situation that wouldn't have also broken a fixed screen.

In some respects - depending upon the design - they can actually protect the screen by enabling it to be placed back facing the body.

---------- Post added 04-22-15 at 11:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Or they didn't want to change the body too much. After all, this is "just" an affordable K-3 refresh.... any extra stuff would add to the cost and would divert resources needed for the FF
Sure, I'm not surprised that the K-3II doesn't have an articulated screen.

04-22-2015, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solaire Quote
i think the problem with articulating screen is that they break easily. The original k3 was/is famous for being built like a tank, ricoh probably didn't want to risk it.
645z.
04-22-2015, 03:24 AM   #258
Pentaxian

We should keep in mind that it's not something trivial to add - in the sense that you can't just stick it on a K-3 chassis. I would guess they would want to make extensive changes down to the electronics/circuit boards, so they wouldn't increase the camera body. In other words, in a completely new model.

I don't exactly care, but I hope they'll put a 645Z-style screen on the FF. Without making it too thick.
04-22-2015, 03:26 AM - 3 Likes   #259

Looking at all those comments, it's clear that their (at least) 2 kind of customers:
- those who want classic tech (wifi, touch articulated screen....)
- those who are (sorry don't kill me but it is what I think...) more "pro" oriented or maybe "Pentax DNA" oriented

And I think ricoh is smart because they release the K-S line for the first category people. :-) They have their holy Wifi and selfie features...

Don't forget how Ricoh sell the K-3: a camera for the outdoor: so we have here a logical evolution: GPS added with astrotracer and onboard compass... And you can use their new WR external flash. And I'm sorry but when are try to be "pro", you may face all situations and an onboard flash is of no use. If you work in studio, you have a wireless solution (cactus, flashwave for classic flash or wireless option for Elinchrom or other brands of studio flashes...). And for those saying they use it for fill, alright but not for a payed job I think? And for those using it to trigger other flash, have you ever use umbrella in such position that it totally hide your slave flash? If you want to become serious about using flash, you need an external one.
Same thing for Wifi: You want tethering? Just wait some months or send mails to Ricoh asking for K line to be compatible with Image Transmitter 2 used for 645Z. They said they were thinking about it. Or you want Wifi to transfer your pics? Man when I have 4Giga to transfer, it's better to use USB 3 or plug the SD in the PC. You want Wifi because sony or fuji has it? Buy a sony or a fuji if it is SO important... OR buy a K-S2 (really nice by the way)

I think that with the K-3 II, Ricoh try to target the semi-pro photographers more than enthusiasts. It make sense because it is not a new model, just a "II" like the K-5 II was... So K-3 = enthusiast and K-3 II = semi-pro. And based on the welcome of this model, they will adapt their marketing strategy in the future.

But that's how I see the Ricoh marketing:
- Fans and newcomers who "want it all" "like other brands" but with a Pentax flavor get K-S line
- Fans and newcomers who want something to work with and a strong Pentax identity get K-3 II and its future iterations.
And for me it's smart from Ricoh to act this way.

04-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #260
Veteran Member

We should keep in mind that it's not something trivial to add - in the sense that you can't just stick it on a K-3 chassis. I would guess they would want to make extensive changes down to the electronics/circuit boards, so they wouldn't increase the camera body. In other words, in a completely new model.

I don't exactly care, but I hope they'll put a 645Z-style screen on the FF. Without making it too thick.
I'm guessing it would have had implications for the existing K-3 battery grip as well.
04-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
- High resolution sensor shifting: hmm, don't know. Would depend on the output I guess. If RAW this could be nice in some cases, though mostly 24MP is more than enough for me. Extra resolution would allow extra cropping, but the subject would need to be static I expect, which in *my* case would be rare as cropping capacity is practical for wildlife and that's hardly ever static.
No need for more Mpix, Wim: the Pentax current way of doing super resolution does NOT add a simple pixel. But it allows full color informations and so, better resolution without a single added pixel.
04-22-2015, 03:28 AM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No need for more Mpix, Wim: the Pentax current way of doing super resolution does NOT add a simple pixel. But it allows full color informations and so, better resolution without a single added pixel.
The question though is at what shutter speeds can it operate and do you have to have a tripod.
04-22-2015, 03:33 AM   #263

QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
Personally I think tilt screens are a clear potential weakness in an otherwise rugged camera body, and if you use it a lot will be the first annoying expensive repair just AFTER Warranty Expires.

Flip screens, built in Wi-Fi, NFC etc....these are all gimmicks copied from cheap compact cameras for adding to lower level DSLR cameras, not top end serious models.

My K-3 already has more features than I need. I would have liked a less expensive DOWNGRADE which kept the good sensor and did away with video, HDR and all the frippery... but that's just me.
I agree the tilt screen does present a potential weakness. But, I notice that if I tilt out the screen on my MX1 just a few degrees- as little as 10 or 15 degrees- it gives me tremendous latitude to use the camera effectively from waist level. Such a limited tilt option could be added to a DSLR with reduced compromise to the structural integrity of the camera; at the same time adding significantly to the stealth factor of K3 use.

I also agree with your comment on "gimmicks." It would be pleasing to see a DSLR manufacturer go back, reevaluate the DSLR and consider some of the practical uses that are largely ignored/compromised as these cameras move forward.....Maybe such things as improving focus screen and focus point point indicators to facilitate more accurate manual focus. I enjoy- and get tremendous satisfactionout of- creating a rare/excellent image through manual focus and exposure. It feels like a real accomplishment....Almost as if I took the photograph, rather than the camera taking the photograph. Effort=accomplishment=happiness.

I think about the Nikon Df. Nikon spends ad money to create the illusion that they intend to bring back the F with no significant change other than adding the ability to create images digitally; then they render something that has a silhouette that resembles the F- granted, the image quality is good- and a couple of retro dials, but is essentially another overpriced Nikon DSLR. Imagine if Nikon had actually produced the camera their advertising suggested? Such a camera may have had market life lasting decades....Like the M3. I mean, the manufacturers could create such a camera and still stay on the camera technology hamster wheel; continue to create and sell more and more wonder boxes for those who are attracted to such things.

04-22-2015, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #264
Forum Member

Loving the new K-3II specs so far. Perfectly designed for me, and also perfect timing, as I was just about to get a K-3.
The GPS/astro are great additions, as is the pixel shifting. I couldn't care less about the lack of flash, as anyone who actually uses flash uses external one's anyway.

Not sure what all the fuss about WiFi is, but for me it's irrelevant, and from my experience, it's irrelevant to most photog's I know, even though everyone acts like it's this "MUST HAVE" feature. Seems like herd mentality to me...

Personally, If I need to upload something urgently (and this is a rare occasion), I'd just plug in my SD card adapter into my ipad, transfer the images I need, edit them in LR mobile (or one of 1000 other photo apps available) and upload it to wherever. Simple. Same can be done with an iphone or any android phone. All you need is a 5$ adapter.
As for wirelessly transfering all your images to a PC; I dare you do do this more than once. A 32GB card would take ages to transfer over WiFi, not to mention draining the battery.

So acting like WiFi is this game changing feature is just childish IMO.

The tilting screen, however, is another matter, and it's a shame it's still missing. Especially after the K-S2 already has one. But again, besides shooting occasional odd angles, the best use I find for a tilt screen is video recording, and we all know how video on a K-3 is... so again, it's not a deal breaker for me.

Also, I'm still hoping Pentax finally releases the tools necessary for lightroom tethering, as this is a huge issue for anyone shooting in a studio environment. But I'm not holding my breath... it is Pentax after all.
04-22-2015, 03:36 AM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
The question though is at what shutter speeds can it operate and do you have to have a tripod.
Yep. And IMO it will require one. If not, it will still be limited to rather slow speeds, even if SR works at the same time (I'd be pleasantly surprised).
04-22-2015, 03:37 AM   #266

Photos: Gallery
I'm surprised. No wi-fi.
04-22-2015, 03:38 AM   #267
Veteran Member

Am I the only one to notice that video is 60i/30 p in HD mode ?
04-22-2015, 03:41 AM   #268
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing it [hinged LCD] would have had implications for the existing K-3 battery grip as well.
I can hear the howls of outrage if the had done that.
04-22-2015, 03:41 AM   #269

Or they didn't want to change the body too much. After all, this is "just" an affordable K-3 refresh.... any extra stuff would add to the cost and would divert resources needed for the FF
All the new stuff was meant for the FF / true K3 successor. "Why not throw what we already have into the new K3 batch?" I'm almost sure Mark IIs are born this way. Once they already have a new design, producing products based on old design, just because the new flagship is not ready yet makes no sense. Heck I wouldn't mind if companies were continuously upgrading products, e.g. Pentax K3 batch 8.217 and with a changelog. Would work like software updates/patches.

---------- Post added 04-22-15 at 12:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
645z.
You got me
04-22-2015, 03:59 AM   #270
Pentaxian

(...)
I'm guessing it would have had implications for the existing K-3 battery grip as well.
Articulated screen => new body (=> new molds), may be new chassis (to compensate for the resistance lost, think 'convertible in comparison to coupe'), new inside arrangement of components, new EMI study, and so on and so forth.

Anti-economic for a model meant to last one to one and a half years before the next body generation, based on the full-frame body and with articulated screen, is launched -remember that K-3 II's body dates back to K-7, launched in May 2009, almost 6 years ago.
Closed Thread