Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #496
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
just saw the release. Hmm, now that is an unexpected upgrade to the K3 and something I'd be interesting in purchasing.

Since i shoot 645, I was thinking the FF would be lost on me but that I might keep an APS-C just for long tele and astro shooting...what a pleasant surprise that this may be a reasonable solution...and the GPS built in is a nice touch!

so, maybe i'm one of the 30 people interested, lol.
Hmmmm - possible Pentax product strategy emerging:

Studio/Landscape Professional - 645
Wedding Professional - FF
Nature/Birding/(Landscape) Professional - APSc

Generalist Enthusiast - K-S2 (and following FF bodies in same vein).

all with intentional inclusion/deletion of market target-specific features.

Maybe the problem isn't Pentax. Maybe the problem is transitioning Pentax users into the right tool for their needs.

04-23-2015, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #497
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I might keep an APS-C just for long tele and astro shooting..
But mike! The K-3ii won't work for those. There's no on-board flash.
04-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #498
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Maybe the problem isn't Pentax. Maybe the problem is transitioning Pentax users into the right tool for their needs.
clearly, we don't understand their sheer billiance.

---------- Post added 04-23-2015 at 09:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
haha
the SUN is my flash.

[reminds me of DOG is my copilot sticker]

---------- Post added 04-23-2015 at 09:55 AM ----------

clearly, we don't understand their sheer billiance.

---------- Post added 04-23-2015 at 09:52 AM ----------

haha
the SUN is my flash.

[reminds me of DOG is my copilot sticker]
I'm trying to remember the last time i popped up my flash...and it was by mistake while reaching for the "RAW" button which is assigned to auto bracketing. I had made a mental note if that thing pops up again, i might lay a piece of black tape over it to keep it closed. Thanks Pentax, for the tape.
04-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #499
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Ummm.....onboard will not be powerful enough to use long tele and you wont need it for astro.....but I know you are being facetious.

See, we can all joke without asking each other to just move along.

04-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #500
Pentaxian

You should probably add "street photography" for the K-S2, because of its tilting LCD and "camouflage" colors (doesn't look like a serious camera). Those features are attractive to me, because I don't want people to particularly notice me when I'm taking pictures ... but I also fit into the nature/birding category.
04-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #501

I am disappointed honestly. I was hoping for wifi not flufi. And the lack of more f2.8 points seem disappointing. Nikon did it afaik with the d7200. For pentax to stay relevant, and I assume we want them to. They need to stay in line with the competition.

It seems to me that they are giving up on the apsc format in favor of the full frame. Also the lack of flash makes no sense. I get that many people do not use it often, but it's an essential part of the camera. I hope they bundle it with the camera like olympus cleverly did.

finally the sensor shift. Any update on resolution, time it takes? Olympus offer this feature, it takes roughly a second, requires a tripod and non moving objects. Any motion causes artifacts. They are working on bringing the shooting time down to 1/60.

We are talking 40megapix jpeg/63 (?) Raw.

I would imagine that with pentax only taking 4 frames it should be significantly faster.
04-23-2015, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #502
Pentaxian

Good point, how are we gonna light up the stars??? DOOMED!!!!

04-23-2015, 10:43 AM - 4 Likes   #503
Pentaxian

The on-board flash is definitely useful, even though it's a bit slow - I had to wait 8.74 years until its light got reflected by Alpha Centauri and got back to Earth. But I couldn't manage without it.
I'm going now to shoot the Andromeda galaxy, be right back
04-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #504

Photos: Albums
I for one can say I'm not disappointed in the lack of a flash. In all honesty I would rather use a bounce flash or crank the ISO up for low light. In all the years I've had digital SLRs I can count probably less than 20 photos out of tens of thousands where I used an onboard flash. If I want the crappy lighting from an onboard flash then I use my pocket point-and-shoot camera.

obin
04-23-2015, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The on-board flash is definitely useful, even though it's a bit slow - I had to wait 8.74 years until its light got reflected by Alpha Centauri and got back to Earth. But I couldn't manage without it.
Wait! I didn't know that you could bounce the on-board flash! I changed my mind - I want mine back!

04-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #506
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
maybe Gary Fong can attach a diffuser to Alpha Centauri to tame some of that light...wait, what were we talking about?
04-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #507
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Yes but as written 201 only takes AAA batteries, and only 2 of them ; whereas 200 takes 4 AA : that makes à huge difference in terms of durability...
OK. But I use DuraCell AAA's.

04-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #508
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking something along those lines, and also that Pentax continues to pursue their own niches and actively avoids going head-to-head with Canikon models on feature sets - even though that is exactly what everyone expects them to do.

You forgot one category: Insane Generalist Enthusiast - K-S1
04-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #509
Veteran Member

I think that Pentax choose a middle pass. Not to hurt the sales of K-3, and also not encroaching those who are waiting for FF. But also bring something new. And I must say that is new (somehow). The shift superresolution seems to be excellent, on board astrotraker is unique, GPS and compass. 4,5 steps SR control. Not bad IMHO. A different camera, which can be exactly what some photographers was waiting for.

But I was waiting for a K-3 v (ideo). I was hoping for a new sensor, a tilting screen, some tethering, and mostly, some (major !!!!!!!!!) improvement in noise control (noise levels makes me crazy). But maybe, K-FF, or K-2.5, or whatever, will have all this.
04-23-2015, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
It seems to me that they are giving up on the apsc format in favor of the full frame.
If that's what you get out of Ricoh's recent actions, then I'm not sure what to say.

Re the pixel shifting, it's for increased color information and decreased noise, not increased resolution per se.
Closed Thread