Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #601
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,093
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
"A little bit of misrepresentation on this one. Almost all m4/3 cameras without built-in flash come with a very small clip on flash that is powered by the camera, not batteries. You could probably attach those things to your camera strap if you really wanted to."
Seriously, the one that came with my OM-1 was worse than useless when used with the 24-50mm f2.8 lens because the lens shaded the flash (since sold the camera as I hated it). The built-in flash on my D810 sometimes gets used to provide some catch light or fill-in, with smaller lenses, so does get used sometimes. But honestly, I'm not at all bothered by the lack of a flash on the K-3 II. I usually have the GPS module fitted to the hotshoe of my K-3, so the fact that it is built into the K-3 IIs is a bit of good news for me, as it means I can attach a powerful external flash to the camera and not lose the geotagging function.

04-24-2015, 04:47 AM   #602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spodeworld's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Joisey
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,249
I wonder what kind of IQ improvements we'll see just from the improved processor when pixel shift is not used....which will probably be most situations.
04-24-2015, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #603
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,442
I wonder why the battery of the K-3 can't be improved, My phone has a 2500 mah battery, the D-li90 is 1860 mah. looking at it's size i think it should be possible to fit 3000 mah into it with improved li-ion or polymer tech.
04-24-2015, 04:55 AM   #604
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,893
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
If you can find it when you need it!
Exactly. On a related note, I gave my [pop-up flash less] NEX-5 (plus tiny bundled Sony external flash) to a young relative once for an overseas trip. In a matter of days, they had lost the NEX accessory flash.

Subsequent NEX's (past the NEX 5/3 series) all featured a built-in flash. Built-in flash has it's advantages. You can't lose it.

04-24-2015, 05:03 AM   #605
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,656
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe they could just include a couple of cans of flash powder with the camera...
I heard the K-3iii will be able to use flash cubes.
04-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #606
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,954
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I wonder why the battery of the K-3 can't be improved, My phone has a 2500 mah battery, the D-li90 is 1860 mah. looking at it's size i think it should be possible to fit 3000 mah into it with improved li-ion or polymer tech.
But before you compare mAh, do they have the same voltage?
The D-li90 is a 7.2V battery and a phone batteri is often around 3.7V, so assuming your batteri is 3,7V then D-li90 packs more power.

Last edited by Gimbal; 04-24-2015 at 05:14 AM.
04-24-2015, 05:18 AM   #607
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,442
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
But before you compare mAh, do they have the same voltage?
The D-li90 is a 7.2V battery and a phone batteri is often around 3.7V, so assuming your batteri is 3,7V then D-li90 packs more power.
Because mah is capacity, voltage is strength. phones don't need the voltage a dslr needs, because they operate no physical stuf.
04-24-2015, 05:26 AM - 2 Likes   #608
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 234
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Because mah is capacity, voltage is strength. phones don't need the voltage a dslr needs, because they operate no physical stuf.
What matters is not mAh but Wh ( or VAh if you prefer). 3.7V with 2.5Ah gives 9,25Wh. 7.2V with 1.86Ah gives 13.4Wh. this means that the 7.2V battery packs about 45% more power than the 3.7V battery.


Battery size is a function of Wh not A or V alone.

04-24-2015, 05:26 AM   #609
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
JimC1101's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fremont, Ca
Photos: Albums
Posts: 394
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I wonder what kind of IQ improvements we'll see just from the improved processor when pixel shift is not used....which will probably be most situations.


I would assume that it will be the same as the current K-3 since the sensor is the same, but I guess we will find out if there were additional improvements.
04-24-2015, 05:27 AM   #610
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,954
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Because mah is capacity, voltage is strength. phones don't need the voltage a dslr needs, because they operate no physical stuf.
Ok...anyhow there is more energy in the D-li90 then there is your phone battery, so there,
04-24-2015, 05:46 AM   #611
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,652
Geotagging is quite simple. Install an app called GPSLogger on your phone. Run it. Take a photo of the app displaying the current time (so you can sync it up later). Sync the time. Take the resulting GPX file and use the GPS tagger plugin from that popular Lightroom plugin maker (can't remember the name now, sorry), and tag the photos.

Yes, having it built in is easier, but this is hardly rocket science either. You can also tell the plugin to tag the photos with what is nearby. Special places, street names, etc.
04-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #612
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,468
If all you need is positioning. You will not get the direction, and won't able to use it for Astrotracer though.
04-24-2015, 05:59 AM   #613
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MMVIII's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 248
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Geotagging is quite simple. Install an app called GPSLogger on your phone. Run it. Take a photo of the app displaying the current time (so you can sync it up later). Sync the time. Take the resulting GPX file and use the GPS tagger plugin from that popular Lightroom plugin maker (can't remember the name now, sorry), and tag the photos.

Yes, having it built in is easier, but this is hardly rocket science either. You can also tell the plugin to tag the photos with what is nearby. Special places, street names, etc.
Great, don't forget to set the right time on the cam. Don't forget to bring additional batteries for your phone. Don't forget to write down the direction of every single photo taken. Spend some time with postprocessing and use different kind of software products. Try to synchronise the photo direction with the coordinates. If you manage all this you achieved to have the same amount of information in your EXIF as if you turn on the K-3II's GPS.
Believe me, I've been there and done that for many years, as have many of my colleagues who do fieldwork in their profession. Why is it such a pain for some to just accept that something might not be useful for them but it is for others?
04-24-2015, 06:06 AM   #614
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spodeworld's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Joisey
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,249
I am particularly interested to find out if with the new processor low light/high ISO performance/DR is improved.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I would assume that it will be the same as the current K-3 since the sensor is the same, but I guess we will find out if there were additional improvements.
04-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #615
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cracow
Posts: 457
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
with the new processor
There is no new processor in the K-3II. The same PRIME III aka Milbeaut 7 as before.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
4.5 stops of sr, af, announcement, built-in, camera, features, flash, gps, ii, image, improvement, k-3, k-s2, morning, night, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pixel, pm, post, questions, rugged teenage girls, specs, splash, team, tuesday, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3II to be announced soon JimC1101 Pentax News and Rumors 802 05-01-2015 02:51 PM
Nikon DF: specs and lots of pics Adam Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 33 11-16-2013 11:53 AM
K-3 Specs leaked - 24MP APS-C LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 154 10-07-2013 02:58 AM
K-500 Specs per Pentax USA Docrwm Pentax K-30 & K-50 12 07-19-2013 09:16 PM
Your existing computer specs and/or dream specs Medium FormatPro General Talk 21 09-07-2012 01:08 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top