Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #676
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
I use, actually. I don't like smartphones at all. And nobody can track me if I don't want to...
The people who are tracking me must be extremely bored

04-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #677
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Wikipedia says some phones have them, but you have to look for it in the feature set of the phone you buy. SO, the syntax of the above should have been, maybe you can use your phone as a GPS out of cell tower range. Maybe you can't. Check your phones user manual and tech specs before you try this out in the bush.
I haven't seen a smartphone that doesn't have it. Your iPhone should be able to get a fix without cell towers too, but it might take a while. The GPS receivers that were used in earlier phones weren't that good, so it could take minutes to get a fix. But some newer ones are pretty fast, with or without cell towers.

At this point Pentax might be better off just including one of those Qualcomm Snapdragon chips. Everything is taken care of then. Very fast general purpose CPU (interface). Really fast WiFi. BT. NFC. Perhaps the best commercially available GPS receiver on the market. Capable image processor. Video encoder. And many more things. If the image processor from Fujitsu/their successor company is better, maybe use that for the connection to the processor.
04-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #678
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
I get that some people like them. However, with this change it is now possible to have both a flash on hot-shoe AND the GPS. Before this a flash/GPS combo wasn't possible at all.

I think it would be great if Pentax could come up with a real small, light and inexpensive hot-shoe flash unit for the people that liked the on-board one. That would settle the issue once and for all.
The Pentax AF 201 FG is a pocket inexpensive flashgun, WR, that answers the need for a carry around small flash. And it can be bounced.
There is also the Metz 26 AF1, much alike.
04-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #679
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
So, kenspo, how went your phone calls (and your cup of coffee )? Did you learn something about the sensor in K-3 II?

I would definitely like to know whether K-3 II has the same Sony sensor as K-3 or it's an updated version, like for instance the one used by Nikon.
Looks like the K5 actually had a better sensor than the K3

04-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #680
Pentaxian

On what phone? Are you saying there are now phones with GPS units built in? I'm using an iPhone 3 so I need cell tower. About newer phones I have no idea.

Check this out... opened in the default image editor "Preview" on a mac, and click the GPS window in the "Inspector and you can see where it was taken. The image by the way, is a pixel peeping crop demonstrating pixel shift.
Yes, new phones have GPS built in. If I upload a photo to Google + and it has gps tagging, I can drop down a box which shows a map with the location of the shot. If I'm in the bush the gps is of limited use since the maps are procured using the cellular network data connections unless I am prescient in knowing where I'm going.

---------- Post added 04-24-15 at 10:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I kind of guessed that, which is why I keep referring to RF, because I believe that true wireless using RF is where the future is.
The problem with RF is latency. Optical triggers are very fast with a predictable latency. RF triggers are relatively slow. Last summer I had a project where I was freezing movement with a 1/16 flash duration, and the optical trigger latency was 1/4 of the flash duration. I looked at RF triggers and the latency was longer than the flash duration. Someone who knows the tech may tell us whether the RF can be predictable with regards to latency which would be needed for HSS.

Last edited by derekkite; 04-24-2015 at 10:53 AM.
04-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #681
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
IMHO this should be really called the K-3 s, it is the same camera as the K-3 with improved SR and GPS. Everything else appears to be software. When they do a real update will they call it the K-3 III. The really great thing about this camera is the nice price, if you were going to get the gps anyway it even better.
04-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #682
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
RF triggers are relatively slow
Not all of them... But some are really slow, that's a fact.
I was freezing movement with a 1/16 flash duration, and the optical trigger latency was 1/4 of the flash duration.
I'm not sure what you mean by that... Do you mean 1/16000s flash duration and latency was like 1/4 of that for another flash to fire with optical trigger?
whether the RF can be predictable with regards to latency which would be needed for HSS.
The HSS sync signal should be sent right before the first curtain moves, so it's not a matter of latency that much, but the sync signal being sent by a camera.
04-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #683
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
that's why I waited on the K3,as my K5II sensor was better in DR & high ISO...really a pity if it is the yr old sensor they put in the K3II

04-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #684
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They may call light pulses "wireless", but I believe that is misleading and mislabeling. As I have already said multiple times (and won't bother saying again), I believe that RF is the only true "wireless" (when people talk about wi-fi, the "wireless" in the name means RF and nobody would ever accept a modulated light source as being "wireless" in that sense regardless of how the vendor labeled it!)
Of course they are both wireless. Either way, it's an electromagnetic signal but one is visible to the human eye while the other isn't.
04-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #685
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Not all of them... But some are really slow, that's a fact.
I'm not sure what you mean by that... Do you mean 1/16000s flash duration and latency was like 1/4 of that for another flash to fire with optical trigger?
The HSS sync signal should be sent right before the first curtain moves, so it's not a matter of latency that much, but the sync signal being sent by a camera.
1/8 power on a flash is somewhere around 1/4000th duration. The latency of an optical trigger is about 1/4 of that time. RF latencies are quite long, the fastest being 1/4000th. In most cases it is not an issue but with high shutter speeds if it isn't right it doesn't work at all. All the latencies have to be known and predictable for HSS to work.

I had a flash on the camera body that triggered a bunch of other flashes, all set to 1/8 power. The 1/4000th duration was to freeze movement, but with the latency I ended up with a 5/16000th flash duration. Small and fast critters ended up blurry.

If you are dealing with 1/180 shutter speeds it doesn't matter.

Last edited by derekkite; 04-24-2015 at 11:43 AM.
04-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #686
bxf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I heard the K-3iii will be able to use flash cubes.
I knew there was a good reason for keeping some...

---------- Post added 24-04-15 at 20:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Jeebus. My wager is NO ONE commenting on the OBF would have bought a K-3II anyway.
Good chance you'd lose

I have not yet made up my mind, but my decision would be made on the basis of improvements that are useful to me rather than on the absence of the flash.
04-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #687
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
that's why I waited on the K3,as my K5II sensor was better in DR & high ISO...
Better DR, yes, but only at ISO 80. Same SNR. Fortunately we have DXOMark to quantify these things and expose manufacturers' tricks, like the NR that is added to K-5 II raw files.

As a birder, extra pixels mean a lot more to me than a stop of DR at base ISO. I'm ready for 36mp APS-C if they can maintain the noise performance.
04-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #688
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You'd think they were the Keystone Kops the way everyone has something for which to to shame Ricoh.
Not that bad. I appreciate their latest efforts, with a FF (no interest for me) and the lenses in the same year.

Just a little frustrated because there was no indication of a K-3 II whatsoever, and for less than 1 week I could've used the money to upgrade to this [very interesting] K-3 II instead.
04-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #689
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I am curious and not to discredit the need the astro guys and geotaggers love, and I am all for all accessories as much as possible to make everyone happy but I am curious How many people will actually be using the GPS functionality ?
100% of my outdoor pictures are geotagged (If I remember to put the dang O-GPS on). I travel a lot for work so I'm often in places that I don't really know the name of or what landmark I just shot. River, bridge, park, waterfall, whatever. But if it's geotagged, it is a simple matter to look on map in LR and get all the details I need to title and keyword an image.

Two weekends ago we wanted to do a sunrise from a spot we scouted a year ago. It is about a two hour drive which meant in the car at 4am and travel to the location in the dark. Maybe some people are good enough to remember a location 10 miles off the hard road that they've only been to once, a year ago but I'm not. So I pulled the GPS location from the pictures I took there during the scout, plugged them into the GPS in the car and let it take me there. Got there in time to set up and wait for first light, exactly as I wanted.

---------- Post added 04-24-15 at 06:22 PM ----------

Wikipedia says some phones have them, but you have to look for it in the feature set of the phone you buy. SO, the syntax of the above should have been, maybe you can use your phone as a GPS out of cell tower range. Maybe you can't. Check your phones user manual and tech specs before you try this out in the bush.
GPS works without cell towers or wifi. It is a completely separate system. What becomes confusing is that the mapping functionality (google maps for example) does require an internet connection. But mapping is NOT GPS, it is a separate program that uses the GPS data to display your location on a moving map. All GPS does is record lat/long data in a stream. So any cell phone with a GPS onboard has the ability to record a GPS track and then sync that with photos taken on a separate camera provided the time is synchronized on both devices. It is rather simple to do actually, any number of programs that will handle that.

What it is not, is convenient. Having the GPS on board the camera and recording the lat/long info directly into the EXIF is (IMHO) a far more elegant solution.
04-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #690
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You're right about the maps, with regard to Google maps, needing a data connection, but there are apps that eliminate that issue. I have an app called Maps With Me. It cost me about $5.00 and lets me download as many state or country/regional maps, with or without driving directions, as I want. It makes my phone a complete stand alone GPS device.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-24-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Closed Thread