Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #691
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You stop paying attention for a few years and everything changes.....

So my iPhone 3 does have GPS capability.. who knew?

04-24-2015, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #692
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I remember where I took every single photo.

GPS? I don't neeeed no steenkin' GPS.
04-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #693
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

LOL
04-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #694
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Dayamn! Some days I can't remember what I had for supper the night before.

04-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You're right about the maps, with regard to Google maps, needing a data connection, but there are apps that eliminate that issue. I have an app called Maps With Me. It cost me about $5.00 and lets me download as many state or country/regional maps, with or without driving directions, as I want. It makes my phone a complete stand alone GPS device.
Yep. Have the same thing or something similar. Just download the maps you need. I was just trying to point out that MAPPING and GPS are not the same even though many people assume they are. Same thing with "GPS Trackers" used on all the TV shows. No such thing, at least as they are portrayed on TV. There are GPS trackers, but all they do is log the lat/long stream. They don't "track" anyone.

---------- Post added 04-24-15 at 07:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Dayamn! Some days I can't remember what I had for supper the night before.
That's actually pretty good. I don't usually remember what I had for supper the same day.................
04-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #696
mee
Veteran Member

You do realize, in the film scene you are referencing, the guy was shot just after saying that...
04-25-2015, 02:14 AM   #697
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You do realize, in the film scene you are referencing, the guy was shot just after saying that...
Perhaps, but I'd bet that he knew where he was at the time, even if not the actual coordinates.

04-25-2015, 03:46 AM   #698

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
I use, actually. I don't like smartphones at all. And nobody can track me if I don't want to...
OK, new here (have been reading for a while and I guess I should post in the newcomers forum but hey ho..) - a GPS unit in a camera or phone is a receiver only - you cannot be tracked unless you install software on your phone that actually sends your location somewhere. You can be tracked (within limits) by the cell signal - if you're in range of a cell tower, though this is nowhere near as accurate as GPS, and this works with phones with or without a GPS (so not just smartphones).

On topic:-)
  • I've been tagging with a separate GPS and Lightroom for years. It's pretty easy, you don't get the direction and you do have to be disciplined about the time set on the camera if you want it to be as quick as possible. But it's not a major pain. Having said, that I don't object to not having to do it (and getting a bit more information).
  • You can use your phone but on some platforms the apps are limited (and the battery will not last long) - a dedicated GPS or GPS logger is better for this, especially if you're doing it for long periods.
  • I've also got an O-GPS1 which in principle simplifies things, but in practice I find it often doesn't tag locations of all pictures if your usual practice is to turn the camera off. It takes longer to re-aquire location than the time taken between turning the camera on and taking a picture (not long, a couple of seconds or so). So it tends to miss the first one/few and I'd be interested to know, when it's out, if the K3-II does this too.
  • I got the O-GPS1 for Astrotracer, and it works but is touchy/unreliable (though probably no more so than getting a proper tracking mount working well and, within it's limits, it's much smaller/cheaper/convenient.
  • I do use the onboard flash every now and again, for fill and 'record' shots, but probably wouldn't miss it. My wife and older children, who often use my K5 as a big point and shoot ,would though (I suppose, if I decide to get one, this is an excuse to keep the K5...)
  • I used to think that I knew where I took every picture too, until I went back though early scanned slides - most yes, all roughly, but there are still some that annoy me because I haven't worked it out yet.
  • Of course you can edit RAW files - you can edit any files (you might break digital signatures etc., but you can still do it). It's just that the philosophy of modern PP software is 'non-destructive editing' which you can always undo, so leaving the actual image data untouched makes sense.
04-25-2015, 04:26 AM   #699
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

However, the iPhone 4s was the first model to support the Russian GPS system.
04-25-2015, 04:49 AM   #700
Veteran Member

By the way, O-GPS is discontinued? I entered on the Ricoh site today to look for O-GPS instruction manual. And the ''Buy now'' button on the screen does not exist for O-GPS anymore.

Needles to say that I don't find the manual on Ricoh site, but on other sites. This gives me an impression of ''cheap'', to say the best. They are making economy of 7MB of space on their site for an accessory that is still on the shelf in most stores?
04-25-2015, 05:44 AM   #701

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I almost puked reading some of the replies in the posts section of this "review".
Apparently, some are staying away from Pentax because .... AF is too noisy !!!
(Of course, they had been trying screw drive lenses ... ).

JP
It is too noisy!!!

Almost got hit by a hovercar the other day! Luckily it was supersonic and I heard the sonic boom...
04-25-2015, 05:47 AM   #702

So when you're 5 miles from a coastline on a ship you can tell which land mass you're looking at? That's absolutely amazing!

obin
04-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #703
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
By the way, O-GPS is discontinued? I entered on the Ricoh site today to look for O-GPS instruction manual. And the ''Buy now'' button on the screen does not exist for O-GPS anymore.
I might sell mine, later this year
04-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I might sell mine, later this year
Some time in November, I guess.
04-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #705
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote

Needles to say that I don't find the manual on Ricoh site, but on other sites. This gives me an impression of ''cheap'', to say the best. They are making economy of 7MB of space on their site for an accessory that is still on the shelf in most stores?

I had heard that before because it was said to have been a non seller....not many people bought it. Of course it may be different once it is in the camera but I don't understand why GPS was such a big thing to Pentax when sales were virtually non existant on it. Before people keep yelling and screaming, of course it is something some people wanted, but it seems that the demand was not there for it so why include it in the camera. I guess....just because.
Closed Thread