Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To me , the question is whether the new K-3 will have ISO80 and battery life of the K-5.

04-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
I guess I'll be labeled a whiner too, but I was looking for a 7DII killer. But with 27 AF points, missing ISO 80 again, no flash, still 8.3fps, etc, its hardly a 7DII competitor.
I must be an old timer because I think that about 15% better image quality would mean a good enough advantage... and that's before we even get to things like the 4.5 stop SR, the new IQ enhancer by sensor shift... to be fair, the 7DII has 3 things going for it: AF (which we will see if we can match or get close to in performance - AF points isn't everything), the "shot between flickering lights" thingie, and the FPS (which isn't as good as most mirrorless anyway). Oh and the 7DII is 1800 dollars, I suspect K-3II will be 1300.

Let's be honest here. The 7D II (70) is closer in IQ to the K20D (65) than it is to the K-3 (80), according to DXO ratings. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's head of the class - it is only for specific uses like sports photography is stadiums at night, where the the flickering thing is a unique feature (and I don't know in practice how it works when you have 200 lights flickering at the same time, but that's not my problem).

Last edited by ChristianRock; 04-21-2015 at 01:01 PM.
04-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Still hoping for tilting LCD, but integrated GPS and astrotracing sounds pretty cool to me... Can't wait to the official word!
04-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Unless more striking features with official specs, I have several good reasons to keep my K-3,
and save for FF

04-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Unless more striking features with official specs, I have several good reasons to keep my K-3, and save for FF
I think the K3II is more for Pentaxians not having yet upgraded to a K-3. And the advantage of the K3II (if like the K5II and K5IIs) is that it should be free of bugs.
04-21-2015, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #126
Pentaxian

It doesn't say Ricoh on the back - that's an upgrade for some people.
04-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
It doesn't say Ricoh on the back - that's an upgrade for some people.
We don't know yet if the Ricoh is still on the back.

04-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know that this will drive K3 owners to get a new camera, but it certainly could get K5 and K5 II owners who felt that the K3 sensor was a step backward to upgrade.
Indeed it could
04-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Don't forget the environmentally sealed volatile Ferroelectric-RAM (FRAM) memory x35 times the speed an a fraction of the power consumption of the EEProm. Strap an radioactive Super-Tak on it and its
guaranteed to give you face cancer.

More AF points is for little boys and their wet dreams. I applaud your calls for reflection but make no mistake, this is NOT an upgrade in the veil of the K5/ii/s. I can't say any more on this matter. We can come back to scrutinizing the K3ii features once they are OFFICIALLY released (and properly tested)

Paraphrasing Ricoh: We want to create a product that supersede not only peoples expectations but its competition as well. The K3ii is designed and built to be THE BEST APC-S dslr on the market (period) Let's just wait patiently to see if this is a true manifestation of their ambitions.
That's fine. It is just that each person has one thing that they really want/need in the new release: an articulated screen, mechanical SR enabled in video mode, 4K video, whatever. And if that one thing is not met, be it a great camera, the whole project is a failure.

People get bent out of shape about the smallest things. The name Ricoh on the camera. The presence of colors. The absence of a pop up flash. The fact that it isn't mirrorless. Just the way it looks.

In the end, it is a camera. If it doesn't work for me, that doesn't mean it work for other people. Extra features that I won't use, I won't use, pure and simple. Things that are absent, I'll figure out a way around. That's not to say I will or won't buy it, but I just don't understand the tempest that surrounds each new release.
04-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It is not.
04-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #131
Forum Member

New leak of specs from another site is indicating built in gps , no built in wifi. Along with hi res pixel shifting, AF improvements and no built in flash. SR improved to 4.5 stops too.
I wasn't expecting built in gps but am very happy as I do Astro. Other than the missing built in wifi, I'm happy if this is the k3ii
04-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atomx Quote
New leak of specs from another site is indicating built in gps , no built in wifi. Along with hi res pixel shifting, AF improvements and no built in flash. SR improved to 4.5 stops too.
I wasn't expecting built in gps but am very happy as I do Astro. Other than the missing built in wifi, I'm happy if this is the k3ii
Nothing new about it. It is leaked to digicame-info and from there it proliferates.
04-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Don't we?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
(...)

Additional pictures from Digital Camera Info ??????K-3 II ??????????????? - ????info

04-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Don't we?
Ok thanks for the link.
04-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #135

Well, I wasn't expecting a huge upgrade or changes in this version so to be honest I'm pleasantly surprised. The pixel-shifting thing is a pretty substantial new feature, as is the GPS, and the AF/sensor upgrades could be pretty significant - we don't know yet. For me, the pixel-shifting is probably the most significant thing if it works well. We'll have to wait and see how it works, but personally I'm hoping it will output 24MP raw files with improvements to noise, colour detail and artifacting, rather than bloated high pixel-count images (or at least have this as an option).

I don't care in the slightest about wi-fi. Slightly bothered about the flash but not much - maybe it will be worth losing it for the GPS. I'm a bit ignorant on GPS - can anyone tell me what the main benefits are?

My other slight disappointment is that I thought that with the changes to the viewfinder hump, they may be trialing a new viewfinder info system in advance of FF, which may use something like this to show the APS-C frame and possibly other crop options. Not going to cry about it though. Overall, a nice upgrade which will keep Pentax in the public eye until the FF release.
Closed Thread