Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 12:55 AM   #226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
The Advanced SR detects panning - that's the only thing we didn't know so far...

Now that's a great feature. God knows how many shots I ruined by forgetting to switch off SR when panning.

04-22-2015, 12:55 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So... leaving the popup flash out leaves some extra room in the VF hump. What do you guys think it's filled with? The astrotracer electronics? GPS? Or will the viewfinder have some improvements?
04-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #228
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-3 II Full Specs, Image, to be Announced April 23th

Pentax K-3 II Full Specs, Image, to be Announced April 23th | Camera News at Cameraegg
04-22-2015, 12:58 AM - 2 Likes   #229

That stupid flash I sometimes accidently raise, good riddance! Astrotracer functionality, Pixelshift Superresolution welcome aboard! I think this is a great upgrade. A real deal field camera packed with features. If you can't live without popup flash/wifi, get a ks2. It's the more social media camera. This is more utilitarian. There are a million choices to make when releasing a product, every last one of us would spec our own camera differently. Thats a market of one.

But man this isn't even turbo intercooled, how can they claim its a sports camera?! PFFFT

04-22-2015, 01:02 AM   #230

Photos: Albums
My greatest hope?....Everything works as it should; no significant role for Precision in this new model roll-out.
04-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #231
Veteran Member

LOL! According to the cameraegg specs it's "dust and water proof".
04-22-2015, 01:04 AM   #232
Veteran Member

No flash is stupid. No wifi after getting rid of the flash to provide room for such features as gps and wifi is more stupid though. Especially when your entry level model ks2 has wifi and nfc built in.

04-22-2015, 01:05 AM   #233
Veteran Member

I think the loss of the on board flash is a bad idea for little to no gain. The flash is useful for fill flash if nothing else - and when diffused with some kitchen paper actually works remarkably well. I've also used it a lot in the past for macro shots using this method.

Adding GPS and not WiFi seems a little shortsighted. I think most users would find WiFi more useful than GPS - and Pentax could continue to market the Astrotracer unit to K-3II owners that need it.

Other than these two things it seems like a decent II revision. However, it reinforces my desire to wait to see what the FF brings.
04-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #234
Forum Member

With the added overhead of a builtin GPS and pixel shift tech for even higher resolution image than K3 and battery remain being the same big question is how many shots the New K3 II will endure before recharging?
04-22-2015, 01:13 AM   #235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally I think tilt screens are a clear potential weakness in an otherwise rugged camera body, and if you use it a lot will be the first annoying expensive repair just AFTER Warranty Expires.

Flip screens, built in Wi-Fi, NFC etc....these are all gimmicks copied from cheap compact cameras for adding to lower level DSLR cameras, not top end serious models.

My K-3 already has more features than I need. I would have liked a less expensive DOWNGRADE which kept the good sensor and did away with video, HDR and all the frippery... but that's just me.
04-22-2015, 01:17 AM   #236

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
No flash is stupid. No wifi after getting rid of the flash to provide room for such features as gps and wifi is more stupid though. Especially when your entry level model ks2 has wifi and nfc built in.
I really don't understand why wifi is SO important for all of you?! If it sis SO important, get a FLU or buy a camera with WiFI... But what's the point?!
04-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
Personally I think tilt screens are a clear potential weakness in an otherwise rugged camera body, and if you use it a lot will be the first annoying expensive repair just AFTER Warranty Expires.

Flip screens, built in Wi-Fi, NFC etc....these are all gimmicks copied from cheap compact cameras for adding to lower level DSLR cameras, not top end serious models.

My K-3 already has more features than I need. I would have liked a less expensive DOWNGRADE which kept the good sensor and did away with video, HDR and all the frippery... but that's just me.
So high end cameras should have less flexibility than lower priced ones?

To be honest it is already the case that lower-end cameras - especially 4/3rds and APS-C based ones - are as capable in terms of image quality than their higher end equivalents. What tends to separate them is things like elements of the AF systems, buffer depth etc. So, by not adding things like WiFi etc you aren't helping sell your higher end equipment. WiFi can be genuinely useful for image transfer, tethering, remote liveview etc. All of which have professional applications.
04-22-2015, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pictora Quote
With the added overhead of a builtin GPS and pixel shift tech for even higher resolution image than K3 and battery remain being the same big question is how many shots the New K3 II will endure before recharging?

I think that is why they had to drop the flash. One shot and your battery would be depleted.
04-22-2015, 01:29 AM   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
I have only two hands and I use tripod very seldom
I've mentioned it before, but with a neck strap you can keep your camera steadier at waist level than up at your eye, and your hands are then free to compose, focus and shoot using your smartphone, while resting on your camera to help steady it. I have now done this quite a few times, and the results are often better than trying to compose at eye level – certainly, the perspective is slightly different, as any waist-level shooter will tell you.

You can also mount your camera on a small stand at ground level for macros, and stand up straight once you've adjusted your composition, to focus and shoot. That's something you can't do with a flippy or tilt screen.

Mind you, neither are much help if you're in bright sunshine, but at least you can more easily shield your phone than an LCD screen. The only real drawback is not being able to review RAW shots off-camera, as the wifi speed isn't really up to it.
04-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
I really don't understand why wifi is SO important for all of you?! If it sis SO important, get a FLU or buy a camera with WiFI... But what's the point?!
Convenience largely. If users of the KS-2 don't have to buy a WiFi SD card why should users of the K-3II? The K-3 and it's ilk aren't *that* much more of a 'pro' camera than the KS-2, it's not like you're getting Nikon or Canon Pro AF performance or a FF sensor over the KS-2. I think many people would do as well with the KS-2 as they would with the K-3II. So, why give people who are um-ing and ah-ring over the the choice the reason not to go for the higher-end model?

It's also the case that the K-3II has two SD card slots. If I put a Flucard in one I am more limited in terms of write speed if I want to send RAW files to one card and Jpegs to the other for example - as compared to the Sandisk Extreme Pros I have.
Closed Thread