Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 01:33 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm surprised Pentax is still improving APS-C after both Canon and Nikon seem to have hit a dead end; at least until the D400 comes out I guess.

Even the 7D II seems unattractive given the presence of the 6D

04-22-2015, 01:35 AM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
I really don't understand why wifi is SO important for all of you?! If it sis SO important, get a FLU or buy a camera with WiFI... But what's the point?!

Well, as along with other options, the answer is convenience. I don't have wifi in my K-30 but I can see where it has its uses. Tethering or using the Android app would be great. I hear the Flu card is not that great but I don't know. I am not a big FB person either but I am sure other would love it. I always pull out my SD and put it in my comp to upload. It would be nice to just upload and I don't need to take it out to do it via wifi.
04-22-2015, 01:35 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
Flip screens, built in Wi-Fi, NFC etc....these are all gimmicks copied from cheap compact cameras for adding to lower level DSLR cameras, not top end serious models.
So, top end serious models should be less capable cameras then entry level cameras? I don't understand.

Good wifi/nfc can be a very "pro"-feature. I sometimes set my camera to transfer the image data to my assistants laptop for review and/or PP on the spot. Reviewing the final results during the shooting makes some customers very happy. Imagine trying to do that with the flucard.

As for flippy screens. Once upon a time I was still shooting Pentax and struggling with an impossible angle. Untill the customer stepped in with his P&S with flippy screen and said: "Hang on I'll do it...". I learned from that moment.
04-22-2015, 01:41 AM   #244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by http://www.adorama.com/alc/7682/article/pentax-unveils-k-3-ii-first-look:
The K-3 II has the ability to capture Full HD 60i/30p movies
Told ya!
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Video is now 60fps 1080p (it was 1080i)
K-3 video definitely is Full HD 60i / 30p (and also 50i, 25p and 24p).

I'm not so sure K-3 II will be different in this respect.

04-22-2015, 01:43 AM   #245
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
So high end cameras should have less flexibility than lower priced ones?...
May be yes in some areas, since I am not convinced that higher end cameras should have everything that low end cameras should have. For example, high end cameras don't have scene mode that lower end camera has for years and no one complain about it. I have friends who own 5D/D810s and they don't take them on vacations because they are just too heavy and painful to carry around, not because the cameras do not have WIFI features or articulate screens.
04-22-2015, 01:43 AM   #246
Pentaxian

Adding GPS and not WiFi seems a little shortsighted. I think most users would find WiFi more useful than GPS - and Pentax could continue to market the Astrotracer unit to K-3II owners that need it.
Adding GPS might be a solution, and not a problem: with the external O-GPS1 there is no way you could use it with a flash (either internal or external). Now you can, albeit you need an external flash.
04-22-2015, 01:50 AM   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
Personally I think tilt screens are a clear potential weakness in an otherwise rugged camera body, and if you use it a lot will be the first annoying expensive repair just AFTER Warranty Expires.

Flip screens, built in Wi-Fi, NFC etc....these are all gimmicks copied from cheap compact cameras for adding to lower level DSLR cameras, not top end serious models.

My K-3 already has more features than I need. I would have liked a less expensive DOWNGRADE which kept the good sensor and did away with video, HDR and all the frippery... but that's just me.
Chintzy low-power popup flashes--what a gimmick! My LX didn't need it! Why should my K-3II have it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
No flash is stupid. No wifi after getting rid of the flash to provide room for such features as gps and wifi is more stupid though. Especially when your entry level model ks2 has wifi and nfc built in.
And nearby someone said wifi/nfc is useless. To each their own.

Are we all getting the point yet? Some features are included, some aren't. If you don't like it, don't buy it. No need to feel personally insulted by a camera's spec sheet.

04-22-2015, 02:04 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Chintzy low-power popup flashes--what a gimmick! My LX didn't need it! Why should my K-3II have it?

And nearby someone said wifi/nfc is useless. To each their own.

Are we all getting the point yet? Some features are included, some aren't. If you don't like it, don't buy it. No need to feel personally insulted by a camera's spec sheet.

Yep...but here is my problem. Pentax is in some stories, a distant 3rd in marketshare since Sony/Fuji et..al is mirrorless. Would it have been so hard for Pentax to include all things that everyone wants and compete with the big 2. I don't think it increased the price to that extent and everyone would be happy. I think they made a big mistake here. Look at the K-S2. They added all things, well, no GPS, but a lot of things that others were asking for. I see that as a great camera. To me, the K-3II will be just a mediocre upgrade that others will love, others wont.
04-22-2015, 02:04 AM   #249
Veteran Member

A reminder that the 'pro' grade (and rather expensive) APS-C Canon 7D II has no WiFi or NFC, but does have GPS. It has hardly attracted any criticism for excluding WiFi.
04-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A reminder that the 'pro' grade (and rather expensive) APS-C Canon 7D II has no WiFi or NFC, but does have GPS. It has hardly attracted any criticism for excluding WiFi.

But it has an onboard flash so people are ok with that. :P
04-22-2015, 02:54 AM   #251

Spec warrior < Under the hood improvements

With the D7200's sensor and sensor shift used to gather the whole visible spectrum (RGB subpixels / no interpolation) it could have almost 15 stops of DR and Foveon-like colors. That alone is enough reason to release a new camera imo. Advanced SR that knows the difference between intentional camera movement and unintentional camera shake (can be used for both stills and video) is also a pretty big deal.
04-22-2015, 02:55 AM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
May be yes in some areas, since I am not convinced that higher end cameras should have everything that low end cameras should have. For example, high end cameras don't have scene mode that lower end camera has for years and no one complain about it. I have friends who own 5D/D810s and they don't take them on vacations because they are just too heavy and painful to carry around, not because the cameras do not have WIFI features or articulate screens.
The 5D and D800 class cameras are quite different to the K-3 though - for a start they are a lot larger, not to mention far more expensive.

The other point is that scene modes are pre-programmed settings that can be replicated by experience photographers in the K-3 anyway, using it's more flexible settings. This is appropriate for the K-3 given who it's aimed add. Things like WiFi and articulated screens* can't be replicated as they are physical additions to the camera.

*FluCard not withstanding
04-22-2015, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #253
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Told ya!
I don't trust stores that jump the gun (and close on all kinds of mysterious holidays i've never heard of.)
04-22-2015, 03:08 AM   #254

Things like WiFi and articulated screens can't be replicated as they are physical additions to the camera.
I think the problem with articulating screen is that they break easily. The original K3 was/is famous for being built like a tank, Ricoh probably didn't want to risk it.
04-22-2015, 03:17 AM   #255
Pentaxian

Or they didn't want to change the body too much. After all, this is "just" an affordable K-3 refresh.... any extra stuff would add to the cost and would divert resources needed for the FF
Closed Thread