Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 05:12 AM   #286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I presume the new super resolution can't be added to the K-3 via firmware? If it could it's the kind of thing you could charge for.
Unless it is tied directly to the new SR it should be soething that could added by firmware update.

04-22-2015, 05:12 AM   #287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rayn Quote
Not sure what all the fuss about WiFi is, but for me it's irrelevant, and from my experience, it's irrelevant to most photog's I know, even though everyone acts like it's this "MUST HAVE" feature. Seems like herd mentality to me...
So acting like WiFi is this game changing feature is just childish IMO.
The tilting screen, however, is another matter, and it's a shame it's still missing.
One man's childish herd-mentality feature is another's must have.

I mean, I know this is the internet and all, but why aren't we okay with that concept?
04-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Hehe..Nothing to fear. This is a very noticable upgrade. It will please most people, and is just the beginning on what to come later.

haha..good one

Thank you! I just want to spread some of my enthusiasm to others too
Will it be a noticeable upgrade on the spec sheet (means a significant feature is missing in what was leaked so far) or is it a noticeable upgrade in the sense of image quality will just be much better thanks to a new sensor, for example?

And if you meant me with knowing it all... nah, just speculating as I went through the 18 pages of the thread. It's fun to speculate.

A redesigned SR system does excite me... if that means it is finally quiet enough.
04-22-2015, 05:21 AM   #289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Will it be a noticeable upgrade on the spec sheet (means a significant feature is missing in what was leaked so far) or is it a noticeable upgrade in the sense of image quality will just be much better thanks to a new sensor, for example?
What do you think?

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
And if you meant me with knowing it all... nah, just speculating as I went through the 18 pages of the thread. It's fun to speculate.
I was just talking in general. Someone (not you) was just a bit negative. No point in that before knowing everything from an official source

04-22-2015, 05:35 AM   #290
Pentaxian

IQ and AF. Neither can be indicated by the specifications. We will find out.

The flash or lack of it means that the space up top is needed for something else. GPS modules are miniscule. It isn't a trivial change, as serious people here tell us, they use the flash for various purposes, so something better would push it out of that valuable real estate. I suspect we will see a major change in the ovf.

It would also indicate a major redesign of the flash system.
04-22-2015, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #291
mee
Veteran Member

More wondering if this new APS-C body is a preview of the FF body...
04-22-2015, 05:40 AM   #292
Veteran Member

The number of focus points might not have changed, but the AF, especially the AF-C is very much improved. All changes and new specs are out in 15 hours.

04-22-2015, 05:45 AM   #293
Pentaxian

The number of focus points might not have changed, but the AF, especially the AF-C is very much improved. All changes and new specs are out in 15 hours.
At 5:45am Oslo time?
04-22-2015, 05:46 AM   #294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
At 5:45am Oslo time?
I was maybe little too quick 08:00 Oslo time.
04-22-2015, 05:48 AM   #295
Pentaxian

I was maybe little too quick 08:00 Oslo time.
I have marked your words.
04-22-2015, 05:49 AM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I have marked your words.
Hehe
04-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Ricoh, making an announcement too early (people give up and buy something else) is just as bad as too late (people already bought something else).
You'd think they were the Keystone Kops the way everyone has something for which to to shame Ricoh.
04-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #298
Veteran Member

What do you think?

I was just talking in general. Someone (not you) was just a bit negative. No point in that before knowing everything from an official source
Hm. Well. If I look at the hump up there in the flash... unless they really just put the OGPS-1 as it is in there I don't think it should use up so much space... if anything it should fit in without the hump. That leads me to think they put a monitor in the viewfinder. Should be technically possible, especially when they have more space. That would be a dream... but I expect to be disappointed by Pentax, so I'd say unlikely.

Maybe they stuck the new mirror assembly including prism from the FF camera in there, and that's why they need more space?

A switchable mirror that can change translucency for the AF sensor could be possible too... it would explain the improvements to AF. If the AF needs more light... just give it more light. And in turn the viewfinder could be much improved, because unless focusing there doesn't have to go any light to the AF sensor. Maybe one of the technologies developed for the FF?

I hope there is a really good reason for the dropping of the flash, because though it's not too useful most of the time, it sometimes is (those family photos for example where perfect picture quality isn't so important). Just GPS... not worth it IMHO, we've all got smartphones.

Knowing Pentax it's more likely things like newer, better sensor, better AF (which is great), and other incremental upgrades.

Btw., was the leaked specs, as far as they are posted there, accurate? Just not complete? Or is some of it just not true, say the processor (given that the latest Milbeaut (for surveillance application) seems to be significantly better) is a new one?

A much improved AF (over my K-5), higher video bitrates (optional, and the quality must go up of course) and video SR would be enough to seriously consider the K-3 II.
04-22-2015, 06:01 AM   #299
Veteran Member

You'll know in a few hours. I won't risk saying too much too soon hehe
04-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #300

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I've mentioned it before, but with a neck strap you can keep your camera steadier at waist level than up at your eye, and your hands are then free to compose, focus and shoot using your smartphone, while resting on your camera to help steady it. I have now done this quite a few times, and the results are often better than trying to compose at eye level – certainly, the perspective is slightly different, as any waist-level shooter will tell you.

You can also mount your camera on a small stand at ground level for macros, and stand up straight once you've adjusted your composition, to focus and shoot. That's something you can't do with a flippy or tilt screen.

Mind you, neither are much help if you're in bright sunshine, but at least you can more easily shield your phone than an LCD screen. The only real drawback is not being able to review RAW shots off-camera, as the wifi speed isn't really up to it.
May be this photo from 1972 give you an idea what I mean

Attached Images

Closed Thread