QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What's the frequency Kenneth?
Haven't heard that one in a few years

04-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #377
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
12 hours and 25min

---------- Post added 04-22-15 at 07:36 PM ----------

I think it will be public before you manage to get me drunk anyway but never say no to good company!
We all must promise not to say anything to not embarrass anyone.
04-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #378
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is not true at all at the general photo discussion forum where I also hang out. Nikon fans treat the D7200 as God's latest gift to mankind, showing at least as much excitement over it as people are showing here over the K-3ii, and Canon fans appear to keep wanting to change the subject.
Sorry, I've seen impartial video reviews and the reviewers were none too excited about it, and everybody commenting on it were all at a loss also. Reviewers find the upgrades pedestrian to say the least.

I'm sure the Nikon faithful have embraced it, and I hope they enjoy it. Me personally, I used to shoot with a Nikon, and nowadays I find Nikon fans to be a little ........ "religious cult-ish" !
04-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #379
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
We all must promise not to say anything to not embarrass anyone.
No..lets have fun

04-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #380
Pentaxian

There seems to be indications of a second firmware update coming for the K-3. Did they do it in two stages, 1st with the AF work and some bug fixes, the second to have some of the new features that the K3II will have, and didn't want to preannounce anything by having it show up in a firmware?
04-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #381
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've left that one laone. I figured it would be you.
04-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #382
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Reviewers find the upgrades pedestrian to say the least.
Pedestrian? It addressed two biggest issues of the D7100 - the buffer size and banding. They replaced/tweaked the sensor to get better IQ, updated the processor, then improved the AF module and battery life and added WiFi with NFC...

04-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #383
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
There seems to be indications of a second firmware update coming for the K-3. Did they do it in two stages, 1st with the AF work and some bug fixes, the second to have some of the new features that the K3II will have, and didn't want to preannounce anything by having it show up in a firmware?
But... wouldn't that be a risk and extra work? 2 firmwares that need to be tested thoroughly, lest it brick someone's camera. And surely waiting a week or two wouldn't have made such a big difference?
04-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
But... wouldn't that be a risk and extra work? 2 firmwares that need to be tested thoroughly, lest it brick someone's camera. And surely waiting a week or two wouldn't have made such a big difference?
They wanted to get the new lens data out. The 16-85 is out already and now supported. I think the two long lenses have been delayed longer than they wanted.

I don't know anything for sure, just the indications from our fearless leakers.
04-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #385

This seems to be where all the action is right now, so I'll post here as I am not a regular visitor and don't know my way around the various forums, or which of them might be ghost towns right now:

After reviewing the K-3 for SLR Lounge over a year ago, I'm still highly tempted by Pentax, and now the K-3 II is coming. As an astro-landscape and adventure photographer, The K-3 and K-3 mk2 are EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a DSLR; every one of the features that people have listed here as "not exactly deal-sealers" for current K-3 owners are right up my alley, and extremely tempting.

Unfortunately, as a Nikon owner I keep forgetting which lenses are available for a Pentax astro-landscape shooter. Can anybody give me a quick breakdown for astro / landscape lenses that would go well with a K-3 II?

(I know there is a very complete list here, and on B&H, but I'm interested in things like field curvature, coma, etc.)

I'd love to see a weather-sealed 16mm f/1.4 APS-C lens, but that probably won't happen any time soon.

I've owned the Rokinon 16mm f/2 and it is incredibly sharp; in fact I sold my copy of it here on PentaxForums last year. Whoops.

I'd strongly consider the Rokinon 10mm f/2.8; but wish it were 8mm or 9mm, if I'm going to forfeit front filters. Oh well.

I'm perpetually bummed out that there are Zero Tokina lenses available on Pentax, especially the 11-6 and the new 11-20. I'd settle for an f/4 ultra-wide zoom, especially if it had low field curvature and had weather sealing. I know there are adapters for Nikon F-mount lenses, but they don't allow focusing at infinity which is a show-stopper for me obviously.

I loved the 15mm f/4's size and weight; but it had some pretty incredible field curvature which made it un-usable for anything other than far-distance shooting at f/11-16. Maybe I had a lemon?

I like the idea of a combination of ultra-light lenses such as the 15mm f/4, and fast-aperture lenses such as the 16mm f/2, so that I can save weight when possible, and shoot astro when necessary. This is something that Nikon, Canon, and even Sony's mirrorless offerings seem to be largely neglecting.

All in all, I'd pre-order a Pentax K-3 II tomorrow if I could sell my Nikon DX gear at a fair price. And if a full-frame version of this exact camera, maybe with the Sony 36 MP sensor stolen from the D810, (and a few less FPS to be fair) ...I'd be a raving Pentax convert in a heartbeat.

=Matt=
04-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #386
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
This seems to be where all the action is right now, so I'll post here as I am not a regular visitor and don't know my way around the various forums, or which of them might be ghost towns right now:

After reviewing the K-3 for SLR Lounge over a year ago, I'm still highly tempted by Pentax, and now the K-3 II is coming. As an astro-landscape and adventure photographer, The K-3 and K-3 mk2 are EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a DSLR; every one of the features that people have listed here as "not exactly deal-sealers" for current K-3 owners are right up my alley, and extremely tempting.

Unfortunately, as a Nikon owner I keep forgetting which lenses are available for a Pentax astro-landscape shooter. Can anybody give me a quick breakdown for astro / landscape lenses that would go well with a K-3 II?

(I know there is a very complete list here, and on B&H, but I'm interested in things like field curvature, coma, etc.)

I'd love to see a weather-sealed 16mm f/1.4 APS-C lens, but that probably won't happen any time soon.

I've owned the Rokinon 16mm f/2 and it is incredibly sharp; in fact I sold my copy of it here on PentaxForums last year. Whoops.

I'd strongly consider the Rokinon 10mm f/2.8; but wish it were 8mm or 9mm, if I'm going to forfeit front filters. Oh well.

I'm perpetually bummed out that there are Zero Tokina lenses available on Pentax, especially the 11-6 and the new 11-20. I'd settle for an f/4 ultra-wide zoom, especially if it had low field curvature and had weather sealing. I know there are adapters for Nikon F-mount lenses, but they don't allow focusing at infinity which is a show-stopper for me obviously.

I loved the 15mm f/4's size and weight; but it had some pretty incredible field curvature which made it un-usable for anything other than far-distance shooting at f/11-16. Maybe I had a lemon?

I like the idea of a combination of ultra-light lenses such as the 15mm f/4, and fast-aperture lenses such as the 16mm f/2, so that I can save weight when possible, and shoot astro when necessary. This is something that Nikon, Canon, and even Sony's mirrorless offerings seem to be largely neglecting.

All in all, I'd pre-order a Pentax K-3 II tomorrow if I could sell my Nikon DX gear at a fair price. And if a full-frame version of this exact camera, maybe with the Sony 36 MP sensor stolen from the D810, (and a few less FPS to be fair) ...I'd be a raving Pentax convert in a heartbeat.

=Matt=
The 12-24 is pretty good, not weather sealed.

It is interesting to read another perspective; we know the shortcomings of our hardware since we use it, and when we read specs we are looking for what we want. And being the internet, we blather on and on and on....

The specs I'm looking for won't show up until people start pounding on it; IQ and AF. The K3 is a very nice performer and has given me great results, and an improvement on those two things will make it very very interesting. The rest is gravy.
04-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #387
Veteran Member

The Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex 14 f/2.8 has an outstanding reputation for night sky work (if that's what you mean by astro) - very sharp, good to go wide open, little coma etc.
04-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The question, more than anything else is about performance. At this point, that is exactly what specs sheets won't tell us. The K3 II is clearly not a sport camera. It does have decent fps, probably some auto focus improvement.

Until we see some photos, get some in the field reports, we won't know how it does. But my guess is that with decent lenses, it will perform similarly to top end APS-C cameras from other brands -- maybe better than Canon's due to their sensors not being at the top end of performance any more.
04-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #389
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL. Maybe he'd "Rather" not say.

Yeah, that was bad.
Sorry
04-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #390
Pentaxian

This seems to be where all the action is right now, so I'll post here as I am not a regular visitor and don't know my way around the various forums, or which of them might be ghost towns right now: After reviewing the K-3 for SLR Lounge over a year ago, I'm still highly tempted by Pentax, and now the K-3 II is coming. As an astro-landscape and adventure photographer, The K-3 and K-3 mk2 are EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a DSLR; every one of the features that people have listed here as "not exactly deal-sealers" for current K-3 owners are right up my alley, and extremely tempting. Unfortunately, as a Nikon owner I keep forgetting which lenses are available for a Pentax astro-landscape shooter. Can anybody give me a quick breakdown for astro / landscape lenses that would go well with a K-3 II? (I know there is a very complete list here, and on B&H, but I'm interested in things like field curvature, coma, etc.) I'd love to see a weather-sealed 16mm f/1.4 APS-C lens, but that probably won't happen any time soon. I've owned the Rokinon 16mm f/2 and it is incredibly sharp; in fact I sold my copy of it here on PentaxForums last year. Whoops. I'd strongly consider the Rokinon 10mm f/2.8; but wish it were 8mm or 9mm, if I'm going to forfeit front filters. Oh well. I'm perpetually bummed out that there are Zero Tokina lenses available on Pentax, especially the 11-6 and the new 11-20. I'd settle for an f/4 ultra-wide zoom, especially if it had low field curvature and had weather sealing. I know there are adapters for Nikon F-mount lenses, but they don't allow focusing at infinity which is a show-stopper for me obviously. I loved the 15mm f/4's size and weight; but it had some pretty incredible field curvature which made it un-usable for anything other than far-distance shooting at f/11-16. Maybe I had a lemon? I like the idea of a combination of ultra-light lenses such as the 15mm f/4, and fast-aperture lenses such as the 16mm f/2, so that I can save weight when possible, and shoot astro when necessary. This is something that Nikon, Canon, and even Sony's mirrorless offerings seem to be largely neglecting. All in all, I'd pre-order a Pentax K-3 II tomorrow if I could sell my Nikon DX gear at a fair price. And if a full-frame version of this exact camera, maybe with the Sony 36 MP sensor stolen from the D810, (and a few less FPS to be fair) ...I'd be a raving Pentax convert in a heartbeat. =Matt=
So you are interested in Pentax , yes but no or maybe yes if. In short, you mean that Pentax does not have a great choice of lenses and you stay with Nikon (getting the actual message behind the lines).
Closed Thread