Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #601
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
"A little bit of misrepresentation on this one. Almost all m4/3 cameras without built-in flash come with a very small clip on flash that is powered by the camera, not batteries. You could probably attach those things to your camera strap if you really wanted to."
Seriously, the one that came with my OM-1 was worse than useless when used with the 24-50mm f2.8 lens because the lens shaded the flash (since sold the camera as I hated it). The built-in flash on my D810 sometimes gets used to provide some catch light or fill-in, with smaller lenses, so does get used sometimes. But honestly, I'm not at all bothered by the lack of a flash on the K-3 II. I usually have the GPS module fitted to the hotshoe of my K-3, so the fact that it is built into the K-3 IIs is a bit of good news for me, as it means I can attach a powerful external flash to the camera and not lose the geotagging function.

04-24-2015, 04:47 AM   #602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder what kind of IQ improvements we'll see just from the improved processor when pixel shift is not used....which will probably be most situations.
04-24-2015, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #603
Pentaxian

I wonder why the battery of the K-3 can't be improved, My phone has a 2500 mah battery, the D-li90 is 1860 mah. looking at it's size i think it should be possible to fit 3000 mah into it with improved li-ion or polymer tech.
04-24-2015, 04:55 AM   #604
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
If you can find it when you need it!
Exactly. On a related note, I gave my [pop-up flash less] NEX-5 (plus tiny bundled Sony external flash) to a young relative once for an overseas trip. In a matter of days, they had lost the NEX accessory flash.

Subsequent NEX's (past the NEX 5/3 series) all featured a built-in flash. Built-in flash has it's advantages. You can't lose it.

04-24-2015, 05:03 AM   #605
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe they could just include a couple of cans of flash powder with the camera...
I heard the K-3iii will be able to use flash cubes.
04-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #606
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I wonder why the battery of the K-3 can't be improved, My phone has a 2500 mah battery, the D-li90 is 1860 mah. looking at it's size i think it should be possible to fit 3000 mah into it with improved li-ion or polymer tech.
But before you compare mAh, do they have the same voltage?
The D-li90 is a 7.2V battery and a phone batteri is often around 3.7V, so assuming your batteri is 3,7V then D-li90 packs more power.

Last edited by Gimbal; 04-24-2015 at 05:14 AM.
04-24-2015, 05:18 AM   #607
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
But before you compare mAh, do they have the same voltage?
The D-li90 is a 7.2V battery and a phone batteri is often around 3.7V, so assuming your batteri is 3,7V then D-li90 packs more power.
Because mah is capacity, voltage is strength. phones don't need the voltage a dslr needs, because they operate no physical stuf.

04-24-2015, 05:26 AM - 2 Likes   #608

Because mah is capacity, voltage is strength. phones don't need the voltage a dslr needs, because they operate no physical stuf.
What matters is not mAh but Wh ( or VAh if you prefer). 3.7V with 2.5Ah gives 9,25Wh. 7.2V with 1.86Ah gives 13.4Wh. this means that the 7.2V battery packs about 45% more power than the 3.7V battery.

Battery size is a function of Wh not A or V alone.
04-24-2015, 05:26 AM   #609
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I wonder what kind of IQ improvements we'll see just from the improved processor when pixel shift is not used....which will probably be most situations.

I would assume that it will be the same as the current K-3 since the sensor is the same, but I guess we will find out if there were additional improvements.
04-24-2015, 05:27 AM   #610
Pentaxian

Ok...anyhow there is more energy in the D-li90 then there is your phone battery, so there,
04-24-2015, 05:46 AM   #611
Veteran Member

Geotagging is quite simple. Install an app called GPSLogger on your phone. Run it. Take a photo of the app displaying the current time (so you can sync it up later). Sync the time. Take the resulting GPX file and use the GPS tagger plugin from that popular Lightroom plugin maker (can't remember the name now, sorry), and tag the photos.

Yes, having it built in is easier, but this is hardly rocket science either. You can also tell the plugin to tag the photos with what is nearby. Special places, street names, etc.
04-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #612
Pentaxian

If all you need is positioning. You will not get the direction, and won't able to use it for Astrotracer though.
04-24-2015, 05:59 AM   #613
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Geotagging is quite simple. Install an app called GPSLogger on your phone. Run it. Take a photo of the app displaying the current time (so you can sync it up later). Sync the time. Take the resulting GPX file and use the GPS tagger plugin from that popular Lightroom plugin maker (can't remember the name now, sorry), and tag the photos.

Yes, having it built in is easier, but this is hardly rocket science either. You can also tell the plugin to tag the photos with what is nearby. Special places, street names, etc.
Great, don't forget to set the right time on the cam. Don't forget to bring additional batteries for your phone. Don't forget to write down the direction of every single photo taken. Spend some time with postprocessing and use different kind of software products. Try to synchronise the photo direction with the coordinates. If you manage all this you achieved to have the same amount of information in your EXIF as if you turn on the K-3II's GPS.
Believe me, I've been there and done that for many years, as have many of my colleagues who do fieldwork in their profession. Why is it such a pain for some to just accept that something might not be useful for them but it is for others?
04-24-2015, 06:06 AM   #614
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am particularly interested to find out if with the new processor low light/high ISO performance/DR is improved.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I would assume that it will be the same as the current K-3 since the sensor is the same, but I guess we will find out if there were additional improvements.
04-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #615
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
with the new processor
There is no new processor in the K-3II. The same PRIME III aka Milbeaut 7 as before.
Closed Thread