Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #661
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. I have both a Canon proprietary P-TTL system and a Cactus system. My experience with them just added to my distain for optical triggering.
But I'm still talking about optical signals, not RF that Canons are using with their newest flashes (they used visible flash/IR before, just like Nikon/Pentax/Sony or Olympus do).

04-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #662
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
But I'm still talking about optical signals, not RF that Canons are using with their newest flashes (they used visible flash/IR before, just like Nikon/Pentax/Sony or Olympus do).
I kind of guessed that, which is why I keep referring to RF, because I believe that true wireless using RF is where the future is.
04-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #663
Veteran Member

No, as far as I know, Pentax does not currently have a true "wireless" system
Of course they have. That's how they call it (check the Manual). And once again, "dumb" optical triggering is a different thing than controlling your flashes through light pulses. That's why you have two slave modes in Pentax flashes - SL1 and SL2
04-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #664
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Via visible flash pulses
so now you have the use a AF540 for that?

04-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #665
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
On what phone? Are you saying there are now phones with GPS units built in?

Check this out... opened in the default image editor "Preview" on a mac, and click the GPS window in the "Inspector and you can see where it was taken. The image by the way, is a pixel peeping crop demonstrating pixel shift.
Every single phone there is, basically. It tends to be A-GPS for a faster fix, but an internet connection (or any other connection) is nor necessary, it might only take a little longer. The receiver in my phone is really good. Qualcomm seems to have the best GPS receivers built into the CPU... Mediatek is behind, Intel is laughably behind. IIRC Qualcomm bought the leading maker of GPS receivers, SIRF?

Last edited by kadajawi; 04-24-2015 at 09:01 AM.
04-24-2015, 08:53 AM - 3 Likes   #666
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

On what phone? Are you saying there are now phones with GPS units built in?
Yes, and in other news, two brothers from Dayton, OH have pulled off an incredible feat on a North Carolina beach.............................
04-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #667
Pentaxian

Of course they have. That's how they call it (check the Manual). And once again, "dumb" optical triggering is a different thing than controlling your flashes through light pulses. That's why you have two slave modes in Pentax flashes - SL1 and SL2
They may call light pulses "wireless", but I believe that is misleading and mislabeling. As I have already said multiple times (and won't bother saying again), I believe that RF is the only true "wireless" (when people talk about wi-fi, the "wireless" in the name means RF and nobody would ever accept a modulated light source as being "wireless" in that sense regardless of how the vendor labeled it!)

04-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #668
Veteran Member

I believe that true wireless using RF is where the future is.
That's true. The problem is there is no RF system that is P-TTL compatible (beside of Aokatec which basically translates optical signals to RF and back, so you still need a master/controller flash on camera).

---------- Post added 04-24-2015 at 10:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
so now you have the use a AF540 for that?
Or the AF360FG(Z). I was hoping for the AF201FG to be able to do so, but apparently they don't.
04-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #669
Pentaxian

That's true. The problem is there is no RF system that is P-TTL compatible (beside of Aokatec which basically translates optical signals to RF and back, so you still need a master/controller flash on camera).
Today that is true.
My point is that Pentax needs to develop one.
And with this, I think I've said more than enough on the subject.
04-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #670
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 04-24-2015 at 10:58 AM ----------

Or the AF360FG(Z). I was hoping for the AF201FG to be able to do so, but apparently they don't.
A reason to buy an extra flash but since you already are lugging about slaves 'n stuff not a real show stopper. Can Metz or Sigma Flashes do it as well?
04-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #671
Veteran Member

How about using WiFi for the flashes? The camera is going to have it, and WiFi chips are maybe relatively cheap off the shelf. Add some intelligence to the flash... I mean if they are developing a new system now they might as well jump ahead. Maybe set up a couple of flashes, and give the camera (on a tripod) the command to fire all flashes in succession. Then the camera has an image for no flash + each flash, and it can overlay them to give a preview of how it is going to look. You can lower the power for each flash and get an instant preview of how that is going to look like. Especially when there is a software like that for tablets and phones.
04-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #672
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, and in other news, two brothers from Dayton, OH have pulled off an incredible feat on a North Carolina beach.............................
Wikipedia says some phones have them, but you have to look for it in the feature set of the phone you buy. SO, the syntax of the above should have been, maybe you can use your phone as a GPS out of cell tower range. Maybe you can't. Check your phones user manual and tech specs before you try this out in the bush.
04-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #673
Veteran Member

They may call light pulses "wireless", but I believe that is misleading and mislabeling.
You can believe, but it is not. Your IR remote communicates wirelessly as well. That's how people called it for years. Long time before Wi-Fi...
My point is that Pentax needs to develop one.
That would be great. I don't believe somebody else will bother because of Pentax low marketshare.
Can Metz or Sigma Flashes do it as well?
A few of them.
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
How about using WiFi for the flashes?
I think the delay would be too long, but who knows... Maybe it's doable...
04-24-2015, 09:27 AM   #674
Pentaxian

Wikipedia says some phones have them, but you have to look for it in the feature set of the phone you buy. SO, the syntax of the above should have been, maybe you can use your phone as a GPS out of cell tower range. Maybe you can't. Check your phones user manual and tech specs before you try this out in the bush.
All smart phones have GPS (except for the first iPhone). I don't believe there are android phones without GPS. There maybe feature phones and traditional cellphones without it, but hardly anybody uses those any more.
04-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #675
Veteran Member

hardly anybody uses those any more.
I use, actually. I don't like smartphones at all. And nobody can track me if I don't want to...
Closed Thread