Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #721
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Sometimes the detail missed is the price (sometimes economics does work). Again referring to the Q in a K-3 thread, the "08" wide-angle lens is acknowledged to sell very poorly; I can't speak for others, but that particular lens costs twice what I bought my camera for, so I just cannot justify paying that for a lens that I would love to have on occasion ... but just on occasion. Thus poor sales for that particular lens does not mean that there is little demand for a wide-angle lens in the Q-mount, but a prime wide-angle lens priced like the prime standard lens might sell just fine. Bringing my thought back to the K-3ii, GPS is becoming a common accessory for photographers; only time will tell whether it is more popular than tiny point-sized light sources.

---------- Post added 04-25-15 at 11:17 AM ----------

I have discovered on my own that at some point people here get tired of hearing certain things and are rather heavy-handed in expressing that. We could be a little more gentle with each other (largely, we are all on the same side afterall)
I have one and it doesn't get used, although I would really like geotagged photos. It is something that would get broken during the in and out of vehicles and cases, and it has to be turned on and off. And removed to install the flash which I use regularly. In practice it sits on my desk. Built in it would be on.

04-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #722
mee
Veteran Member

So who wants to sell me their lightly used, fully functional O-GPS1 for 50 dollars? hehehe
04-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #723
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Okay, I've been watching this and now I think it's time to clarify a couple of things:
Yes, this is a discussion forum. It's not a soapbox.
I don't think you got "hammered" for having an opinion that differed from anyone else's. How many #1 hit songs have there been over the years that people initially liked (or at least didn't dislike) that they came to dread hearing? Not because of the song itself, but because you couldn't turn on a radio at any given moment without hearing the same song over, and over, and over..............

I am sorry for what has happened, but what it has become is that others who are against it, I guess it would be pop up flash, I don't know, and others who are for it, I guess GPS, and there is a complete divide. What I don't get is that I would like both and/or I have never said that GPS is not good to have.

Recently though, I had been commenting more on the people who are talking about how they are using their pop up favorably, and my comments were posted based on that, not on someone else to try to change anothers person mind. As I have said, we all have different requirements. I had never once said that anyone should change their mind, and as with everything in a forum, you take with a grain of salt. I am not looking to debate or agitate, but it had gotten to the point where if I was commenting to others in favor of seeing a benefit of pop up, others are jumping out and saying move along or enough is enough. Fortunately, others have told me that my opinion is valid, and as I stated, I have not tried to tell other to love pop up and hate GPS, that is up to them.

As always, if we don't like comments here, we don't reply or disregard it all together after we read it. There are several comments that I don't agree with and don't post to, but I don't talk down to what others have to say, I still value their opinion even if I have a different opinion.
04-25-2015, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #724
Pentaxian

The removal of the flash is a big change, and there are indeed people who use them. It will be interesting to see what Pentax does to keep them happy. Or quiet. ☺

04-25-2015, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #725
mee
Veteran Member

On the other hand.. my Canon using friend actually sent me a link to an article about the K-3 II and said it looked interesting.. esp the high resolution technology (which of course is not possible with Canon bodies). Yet we here at PF are caught up on arguing our own personal choice of crappy popup flash or a gps unit. COME ON PEOPLE. forest through trees haha we look like dorks to the rest of the photography community by arguing stupid things because we are dorks arguing pedantically on stupid things.
04-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #726
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
On the other hand.. my Canon using friend actually sent me a link to an article about the K-3 II and said it looked interesting.. esp the high resolution technology (which of course is not possible with Canon bodies). Yet we here at PF are caught up on arguing our own personal choice of crappy popup flash or a gps unit. COME ON PEOPLE. forest through trees haha we look like dorks to the rest of the photography community by arguing stupid things because we are dorks arguing pedantically on stupid things.

Can't we all just get along.
04-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #727
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The removal of the flash is a big change, and there are indeed people who use them. It will be interesting to see what Pentax does to keep them happy. Or quiet. ☺

I know some people were happy with POCF (Popup on camera flash), but personally, I've never been happy with it other than as a remote trigger for my 2 AF360's. What does suck, is the loss of wireless remote triggering.

The DA16-45 had issues w/POCF, along with other lenses... Add to that, Pentax never got PTTL right for fill with bounce to where I was happy with it.

So...phooey, I won't miss it in the upcoming full frame (no comment on the K-3II, it is what it is)...as long as it can trigger a flash wirelessly without wasting a card slot to do it, and they make TTL an option along with PTTL just in case their PTTL implementation still isn't up to scratch.

Eric

04-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
There's the new AF201FG, for a start. Doesn't work as a slave controller but for $146 it's a tiny, 1.20" thick external flash with GN20 at ISO100 with a -10° to +135° articulating (but not rotating) head. It weighs 5.0 oz without batteries and uses 2x AAA common batteries for 100 discharges.

I suppose the choice is buy a camera and an O-GPS1 or buy a camera and an AF201FG.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-25-2015 at 09:50 AM.
04-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #729

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Not sure what you mean by "flipping 'effing", but I will say that an articulated LCD would be one of the main things I'd miss if switching from a Nikon D5300 and D750 combo to a K-3 II. They are damn handy, for high-angle / low-angle landscape and nature work. I'm getting too old for all the crouching and stretching...

=Matt=

Exactly what I have tryed to explane, in my opinnion an articulated LCD is a must on a new DSLR and rather a touch screen type with focus peaking. The explanations that a robust DSLR couldn't have articulated LCD is something I don't agree, there seems to be even more konservative guys out there than me.

---------- Post added 04-25-15 at 09:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Looks like the K5 actually had a better sensor than the K3
That's what I wonder too, from D7000 to D7100 to D7200 have always better sensor in next generation, why Nikon seems to succes in their development proces better than Pentax???
04-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #730
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's the new AF201FG[/URL], for a start. Doesn't work as a slave controller
But it's most important function for whom use flash.
04-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #731
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
That's what I wonder too, from D7000 to D7100 to D7200 have always better sensor in next generation, why Nikon seems to succes in their development proces better than Pentax???
K7 to K5 to K3 each generation had a better sensor. There wasn't a D7100 II/IIs, was there?
04-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
While many say they successfully use OBF for light fill flash, at least one frequent contributor to the discussion laments loss of optical slave triggering. AF201FG seems a decent but unsophisticated small external flash. The lowest onboard output control is 1/4 power but it might have more sensitive power management using in-camera controls - that's unclear from the descriptions.

It is announced but not yet released (it's late - at least in the USA).
04-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #733
Pentaxian

There's the new AF201FG, for a start. Doesn't work as a slave controller but for $146 it's a tiny, 1.20" thick external flash with GN20 at ISO100 with a -10° to +135° articulating (but not rotating) head. It weighs 5.0 oz without batteries and uses 2x AAA common batteries for 100 discharges.
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The tiny point-source built-in flash cannot serve as a "slave controller" either.
Those who use it as a controller only use a flash which triggers off another flash going off - and any actual flash, including the AF201FG, can provide that trigger.
04-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The tiny point-source built-in flash cannot serve as a "slave controller" either.
Those who use it as a controller only use a flash which triggers off another flash going off - and any actual flash, including the AF201FG, can provide that trigger.
Yep! But the massive 'Z' flashes can.
04-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #735

K7 to K5 to K3 each generation had a better sensor. There wasn't a D7100 II/IIs, was there?

I don't agree that there is an improvement between K5 and K3: Pentax K-3 versus Pentax K-5 IIs versus Pentax K5 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D7200-versus-Penta...__1020_914_865

Last edited by markku55; 04-25-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Adding information
Closed Thread