Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #751
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markku55 Quote
Same sensor do not mean that the photographic result will be the same, Nikon have succeeded to "take" more out of the Sony sensor than Pentax as you can see from side by side comparison in DxOMark test: http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D7200-versus-Penta...__1020_914_865
I see different numbers. A quantitative assessment of imageQuality is interesting, but to be truly honest, it will be just an approximation. How is sample variation considered? What's the margin of error of measurements? How doe 0.6, 0.9... points translate to images differences? I am pretty sure a "blind" (OK, you know what I mean) test would not show any advantage in any significant case between these two cameras. I'm pretty sure other factors will play a bigger role, lenses, even lens coatings, individual settings of raw converter...

04-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #752
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
With a dumb slave, all you need is a trigger that fires other flashes set to M (or A) - that's what the SL2 mode is for. Basically you just need to set your built in or hot shoe flash to M at low power level and you're ready to go. With a P-TTL controller/slave system you have whole communication protocol - a flash that triggers P-TTL slaves to fire a metering pre-flash, another flash that tells the slaves what power to use (based on camera metering system and exposure parameters) and a sync flash that triggers the slaves at required power level.
Yes, I understand all that - but to control slaves like you described you need something specified as having "master" capability, one of the "Z" flashes, for example; the pathetic point-source built-in flash is like the 200 and 201, but even less powerful and less diffuse; it provides P-TTL controlled light that dumb slaves can respond to, but not a master signal, so the user loses nothing but using a 201 instead.
04-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #753
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think highlight correction affects RAW or actual measured dynamic range for a sensor.
It affects RAW, cause it means shooting in lower ISO to protect highlights and adding a digital gain in post. It doesn't affect the measured dynamic range.

---------- Post added 04-25-2015 at 04:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
to control slaves like you described you need something specified as having "master" capability, one of the "Z" flashes, for example; the pathetic point-source built-in flash is like the 200 and 201, but even less powerful and less diffuse; it provides P-TTL controlled light that dumb slaves can respond to, but not a master signal, so the user loses nothing but using a 201 instead.
No, the built-in flash provides master/controller capabilities. Read the manual or just simply try it.
04-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #754
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep. Maps and GPS have not much to do in common but one uses the other one.
A GPS gets you coordinates (and imprecise, mostly, altitude) and nothing else.
Compass will get you direction (but isn't GPS but used in complement).
ALtimeter will get you proper altitude readings.

Maps... well, that's when you wanna look at what those coordinates corresponds so either you have the map already or you need cell connectivity.
In any case, the gps doesn't need cell or the K3-II would have been delivered with a SIM card.

---------- Post added 25-04-15 at 14:46 ----------

And battery reduced to nothing. Brilliant.

---------- Post added 25-04-15 at 14:49 ----------

Probably the same reason you kept moaning for a couple days now.

Just because.
Top Gear tested a BMW M3 vs a Toyota Prius. The Prius was driven as hard as it can, the M3 followed it. The Prius consumed more than the M3. Now, possible that they faked the result, but it's quite believable to me.

Those smartphones run a very long time considering how small their batteries are, and how big and bright the screens are.

GPS consuming too much power? Not really. More than nothing, yes. But I often enough have it running all the time, keeping a fix (which consumes more), and I can still get through a day (maybe not, but I use my phone a lot).

@Parallax: Try Nokia Here Maps. It is a standalone offline GPS solution, and it is free. I like it better than Google Maps... the interface makes more sense, is cleaner, more suitable for in car navigation. And it doesn't require the internet.

Oh, and Pentax could have easily differentiated themselves from Canikon. Activate SR for video. They don't have that (well, only with lenses that have IS). If Pentax thinks the noise it makes is an issue... just deactivate the internal microphone while recording.
So I don't really believe they did GPS just to be different.

Last edited by kadajawi; 04-25-2015 at 03:01 PM.
04-25-2015, 02:54 PM - 3 Likes   #755
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really don't understand why this is such a big deal. K-3II is a continuation model of an already-existing camera. It isn't a brand new body intended to be the base technology for the next half-decade. If you want or need OBF buy a K-3. No one is forcing you to buy a K-3II and no one is taking anything away from you.

If you must buy a K-3II and if you use OBF as your only point light source, buy the AF201FG. That's what Geo-taggers and Astrotracer users have had to do up until this model - buy an accessory.

If you must buy a K-3II and you need to use a P-TTL-enabled flash as a controller you'll need a P-TTL-enabled external flash. You probably already have a Pentax P-TTL flash anyway. If not, that's what Geo-taggers and Astrotracer users have had to do up until this model - buy an accessory.

If the requirement to buy an accessory when you buy a new camera vexes you, well - that's what Geo-taggers and Astrotracer users have had to do up until this model - buy an accessory.

When looked at in that way, this particular model is intended for that sub-set of buyers who actually use GPS as a tool in their work. It by definition excludes those who use the OBF as a tool in their work.
04-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #756
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I really don't understand why this is such a big deal.
If you were talking to me - it's not a big deal at all. Just a little inconvenience and a trade off for the thing I'm not gonna use anyway.
I'm just explaining how it works, cause not everyone understands, it seems...
04-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #757
Pentaxian

A solution for those who are disappointed by the lack of on-board flash in K-3 II: use lenses with a built-in flash .

(unfortunately, this is a Nikon patent)

04-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #758
Veteran Member

O-GPS1 is still available contrary to what another poster said
GPS Module O-GPS1 | Pentax
04-25-2015, 03:08 PM - 4 Likes   #759
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I've thought this over for days, and I've come to the conclusion that removing the flash is such an obvious mistake, that no matter how you stand on your head to rationalize the foolishness of it, it will not go away! I rarely use the on board flash but when I need it it, I really need it, and I'm grateful it's there. Removing such a useful tool and replacing it with a gps (!) seems like a blatant play for the trendies in the gearhead world and ignores real photographers. As for the pixel shifting, if it doesn't output in raw then who cares? Does the K-3ll produce files with more dynamic range than the K-5? That's the big question.
Yeah, I've often thought they should incorporate a good built in flash in the 645Z so it would be more attractive to real photographers.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-25-2015 at 03:41 PM.
04-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #760
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, I understand all that - but to control slaves like you described you need something specified as having "master" capability, one of the "Z" flashes, for example; the pathetic point-source built-in flash is like the 200 and 201, but even less powerful and less diffuse; it provides P-TTL controlled light that dumb slaves can respond to, but not a master signal, so the user loses nothing but using a 201 instead.
The built-in flash on Pentax cameras is a master controller for remote P-TTL flashes. It communicates with the other P-TTL flashes via specially coded light bursts that tell the other flashes what to do. In no way is it limited to just firing as a dumb strobe light. You can also set it to supply normal power or very minimal power where it acts primarily as a controller and not as a light source (obviously it still provides some light in this mode).
04-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #761
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
O-GPS1 is still available contrary to what another poster said
GPS Module O-GPS1 | Pentax
PENTAX - GPS Unit

As you can see here, no buy button. And also here:

Digital Camera Accessories -PENTAX DSLR Accessories

I forget to mention. In my post I have asked if is discontinued, I don't said it is. So please, quote me correctly if you do it. Please.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 04-25-2015 at 06:38 PM.
04-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #762
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But it is here: GPS Module O-GPS1 | Pentax You are looking at the US Ricoh website, not the Pentax webstore. The 'buy' links on that page just point to the webstore, and the one for the O-GPS is missing. But if you go to the webstore it is there.

I think that is just web site weirdness, we all know Ricoh website is not exactly state of the art. There are numerous things listed with no "buy" button. LI-190 batteries, Pentax straps, Q adapter, body mount covers. All of those should be in stock, yet they have no 'buy' button and if you go to the store they are actually for sale.

And the O-GPS is in stock at B&H, Amazon, and Adorama.
04-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #763
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if i'm a real photographer either. On another thread, several of us were called pop-up flash "deniers". I'm not sure what that is - does that mean a magenta D will show up on my forehead - arggh.

More relevantly, a Sony A7II, A7s, and 645 past owning friend of mine told me that the new Pentax 4 pixel shifting image enhancer is a big deal. Says that Sigma's Foveon camera price has been dropping since the K3II news announcement. He also said that the Pentax implementation is superior to the Olympus 8 pixel shifting enhancer.

It sounds like the process will help remove noise from an image - which is a very good thing.

Yea for Ricoh - from a popup denier
04-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #764
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I rarely use the on board flash but when I need it it, I really need it, and I'm grateful it's there. Removing such a useful tool and replacing it with a gps (!) seems like a blatant play for the trendies in the gearhead world and ignores real photographers. ..

before you continue your tantrum, you DO know the K3 is available and does have on board flash, right? This K3 II is merely a line extension to the K3. Why am i not understanding why someone is angry there is a version of the same model being offered with different options??

---------- Post added 04-25-2015 at 06:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yeah, I've often thought they should incorporate a good built in flash in the 645Z so it would be more attractive to real photographers.
and now we know there may be some hollow space in there for a GPS. hold the phone.
04-25-2015, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #765
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You stop paying attention for a few years and everything changes.....
Some good Marriage insight in this post Norm!..... especially for obsessed photographers....
Closed Thread