Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #766
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm not sure if i'm a real photographer either. On another thread, several of us were called pop-up flash "deniers". I'm not sure what that is - does that mean a magenta D will show up on my forehead - arggh.
You are being Othered.

04-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #767
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Just a little inconvenience and a trade off for the thing I'm not gonna use anyway.
But - were you really going to buy the camera? (or were the other people?)
04-25-2015, 11:03 PM - 2 Likes   #768
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So much talk over a pop up flash.

OK.

Throw the gauntlet here........

Post your photos where pop up flash delivered great photos.
Must be plenty in the hard drive.
04-25-2015, 11:23 PM   #769
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

OK.

Well.....yeah I have many flash with pop up, I do use my camera a lot, when I am in dark areas such as at parties or in a bar, or when I am shooting outdoors when fill would be great....but showing pictures wont make a difference....we all have our own opinions. It is not like anyone is really going to change how they will shoot no matter what even if a good pop up pic looks ok to them....and they shouldn't have to change. They are happy with what they use.

My God, this topic has been going on for what ? ...3 days ? Why don't we just agree to disagree....I don't think it is so bad that people don't like using the pop up and think it is crappy....that is up to them and fine....and I would hope that others who think that some of us do benefit it... and respect their opinion also.

Showing others with pics with pop up is not going to make a difference...we are all different with different needs and should respect what others like and we don't need to prove to them as if it would make a difference. Bottom line, Pentax decided to take the pop up off for the K-3II. That is not the only camera Pentax has. If you like the pop up, choose a different model, if you don't, use the K-3II, simple as that. We don't need to or shoudnt have to defend our actions as much as we have had to both for and against each others opinions.

04-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #770
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I've thought this over for days, and I've come to the conclusion that removing the flash is such an obvious mistake, that no matter how you stand on your head to rationalize the foolishness of it, it will not go away! I rarely use the on board flash but when I need it it, I really need it, and I'm grateful it's there. Removing such a useful tool and replacing it with a gps (!) seems like a blatant play for the trendies in the gearhead world and ignores real photographers. As for the pixel shifting, if it doesn't output in raw then who cares? Does the K-3ll produce files with more dynamic range than the K-5? That's the big question.
You might have thought twice :
- as said all along this thread, get an external flash when needed, or buy a K-3
- pixel shift produces RAW files like HDR mode ; read that on Ricoh website
- k-5 dynamic range is about 0,3 IL better than K-3, at ISO 80 versus ISO 100, and this is no news...
04-26-2015, 12:20 AM   #771
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But - were you really going to buy the camera? (or were the other people?)
I don't know yet - all I know is a specification, I need to see how it performs first.
04-26-2015, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #772
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
before you continue your tantrum, you DO know the K3 is available and does have on board flash, right? This K3 II is merely a line extension to the K3. Why am i not understanding why someone is angry there is a version of the same model being offered with different options??

---------- Post added 04-25-2015 at 06:34 PM ----------

and now we know there may be some hollow space in there for a GPS. hold the phone.
I think the problem is that people are looking at the K3 versus the K3 II and saying that they like all of the features of the K3 II better, except that they would rather have the pop up flash versus the astro tracer. I get that, but life is about tough decisions and at this point, we all will have to decide which feature set is more valuable, particularly if the price of the K3 drops somewhat compared to the price of the K3 II.

From all indications, the sensor is the same between the two cameras and so there won't be a big difference in image quality with single shot photos (probably the majority of photos that most of us will shoot). Focus is supposed to be better, but since I don't struggle with it with the k3, that doesn't seem like a big reason to upgrade.

Anyway, I have a feeling that most people who are complaining weren't going to buy a K3 II basically whatever feature set it had, but I could be wrong.

04-26-2015, 03:24 AM   #773
Pentaxian

But you even could be right
04-26-2015, 04:18 AM   #774
bxf
Veteran Member

OK.

I don't know about "great photos", but I'm sure there are examples where the OBF delivered a photo that is better than it would have been without a flash.

And, one could ask to see photos where a GPS unit contributed to their greatness
04-26-2015, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #775
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK.

I fully understand that a lot of folks here will never use the pop-up flash, and for good reasons, no doubt about that. I am not using it for any kind of "general photography".
But for a lot of my macro shots it is very handy combined with a simple homemade diffusor. I'm not sure I would want to miss this feature. Again, I fully understand that is not important at all for many others.

I don't claim these are "great photos" but at least I like them

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
04-26-2015, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #776

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I fully understand that a lot of folks here will never use the pop-up flash, and for good reasons, no doubt about that. I am not using it for any kind of "general photography".
But for a lot of my macro shots it is very handy combined with a simple homemade diffusor. I'm not sure I would want to miss this feature. Again, I fully understand that is not important at all for many others.

I don't claim these are "great photos" but at least I like them
Wow... really nice, how do the home made diffusor look, made of what material?
04-26-2015, 04:55 AM   #777
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
And, one could ask to see photos where a GPS unit contributed to their greatness
I'm sure there are plenty of examples in any of the astro photography threads.
04-26-2015, 05:02 AM - 3 Likes   #778
Veteran Member

Flash is not coming back on the K-3 Mark II. So why argue about it? If you prefer flash over GPS, buy the K-3. Its still a brilliant camera. Cant have it all
04-26-2015, 05:04 AM   #779
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
before you continue your tantrum, you DO know the K3 is available and does have on board flash, right? This K3 II is merely a line extension to the K3. Why am i not understanding why someone is angry there is a version of the same model being offered with different options??

---------- Post added 04-25-2015 at 06:34 PM ----------

and now we know there may be some hollow space in there for a GPS. hold the phone.
Ricoh have yet to say whether the K-3 II is an extension or a replacement for the K-3 so I don't know how we can declare its status.
04-26-2015, 05:07 AM   #780
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
My God, this topic has been going on for what ? ...3 days ? Why don't we just agree to disagree....I don't think it is so bad that people don't like using the pop up and think it is crappy....that is up to them and fine....and I would hope that others who think that some of us do benefit it... and respect their opinion also.
Wow. I make one comment about your multiple posts in two or three threads about the pop-up flash and I am "hammering" you? I presume you're talking about me....

For what it's worth, I do respect your opinion. Just like GPS, if the pop-up flash is there people will find a use for it, and if it isn't people who need it will find a work-around. In fact, I occasionally use the pop-up flash, and despite owning an O-GPS1 I have never used it. I just don't think you need to milk it for upwards of 40 posts. Yes. I've counted.
Closed Thread