Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What 'beefier' hardware? Same AF module in the II. Same Prime III processor. Unless it ties into the SR...
We don't know anything about its hardware upgrades/updates, memory specs, the processor, maybe they're newer, or operate at higher clocks/cycles...who knows.

04-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #47

This is the camera I have been dreaming of. This camera, plus a full-frame version that steals the Sony 36 MP chip with D810-ish image quality, would cause me to immediately sell off 100% of my Nikon gear and jump ship. If only they'd make a couple weather-sealed f/1.4 ~ f/2.8 primes, like Fuji's mirrorless system, and I'd be drooling like a basset hound.
04-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
This is the camera I have been dreaming of. This camera, plus a full-frame version that steals the Sony 36 MP chip with D810-ish image quality, would cause me to immediately sell off 100% of my Nikon gear and jump ship. If only they'd make a couple weather-sealed f/1.4 ~ f/2.8 primes, like Fuji's mirrorless system, and I'd be drooling like a basset hound.
(through back channels talks this much was conferred) Both the K3ii and the FF will have the latest Sony sensors (on the FF I assume the 36mpx, Q4 release for 2015), a newer version than the one on the D810. I'm telling you this so you can plan ahead..

The Fa ltds are discontinued, we know of 3-6 new primes that will go on sale in 2016. I expect updated d-FA ltds to emerge after the FF goes into sale...
04-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What 'beefier' hardware? Same AF module in the II. Same Prime III processor. Unless it ties into the SR...
Pixel shift is, of course, tied to SR and has nothing to do with AF.

04-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Pixel shift is, of course, tied to SR and has nothing to do with AF.
We were discussing whether the current hardware on the K3 can handle the 'pixel shift' feature...
04-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
(through back channels talks this much was conferred) Both the K3ii and the FF will have the latest Sony sensors (on the FF I assume the 36mpx, Q4 release for 2015), a newer version than the one on the D810. I'm telling you this so you can plan ahead..

The Fa ltds are discontinued, we know of 3-6 new primes that will go on sale in 2016. I expect updated d-FA ltds to emerge after the FF goes into sale...
Thanks for the tips! Where is the page that explains all the Pentax alphabet soup, again?
04-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #52
Pentaxian

We were discussing whether the current hardware on the K3 can handle the 'pixel shift' feature...
Yes and Boriscleto's answer was to a post talking about Pixel shift.

04-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tips! Where is the page that explains all the Pentax alphabet soup, again?
Some are conversations I've had with people on the know, other on threads scattered all over the PentaxForums. If you have any specific questions open a new thread and chances are members will oblige you with a answers..
04-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #54
Forum Member

I hope they take pity on K3 owners and give us some freebies such as pixel-shift or improved AF-C via software update
And lose the chance of K-3 owners moving to the K-3 II? Not likely.
04-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Couldn't wuickly find a one-page answer. I'll root around for some links and post back
04-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canuck_west Quote
And lose the chance of K-3 owners moving to the K-3 II? Not likely.
There's plenty more to the K3ii then "pixel shift" you know. Those who ditch the K3 for the Mark II are going to do so primarily for the new sensor IMO.
04-22-2015, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #57

There's plenty more to the K3ii then "pixel shift" you know. Those who ditch the K3 for the Mark II are going to do so primarily for the new sensor IMO.
I've followed the proliferation of 24 megapixel APS-C sensors with great interest over the years. Indeed, this is a great interest to many people. From what I know, between Sony and Toshiba there are at least a half-dozen different 24 MP 1.5x crop sensors out there. The entire Nikon DX lineup is using a nearly identical sensor, Sony has its A6000, and Pentax has the K-3. All of them perform similarly, with certain models here and there having flukes of shadow banding, or excessive high ISO chroma noise / banding, etc.

If Nikon's latest iteration, the D7200 is any indication, the K-3 II stands a chance at being one of the best sensors on the market, crop OR full-frame. Even the slightest improvements in DR and high ISO above the K-3 will put it towards the very top of the heap, and leaving even generation-old full-frame shooters scratching their heads to see a difference.

That's partly due to the K-3 sensor being no slouch, of course, and there will be absolutely zero shame in taking advantage of any flood of used cameras that may hit the market in the next few months after the announcement. I know for darn sure if I were a Pentax shooter / switcher, and if I was any less into astro-landscapes and stuff, ...I'd jump on a used K-3 within the next 6 months for sure.
04-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #58

Fully electronic shutter in K-3 II?

I hope they take pity on K3 owners and give us some freebies such as pixel-shift or improved AF-C via software update
It has been previously suggested that the original K3 has the technology through SR to allow for the full color pixel-shift capability but what about the actual sensor and the role it might play? For instance, Olympus uses a fully electronic shutter to achieve it's 8 exp. Hi Res mode. Even with "just" 4 exposures offset by one pixel, it would seem as though that degree of accuracy would require no shutter movement/vibration at all (which would require a fully electronic shutter). I wonder if the new K-3 II will have a sensor that has full electronic shutter capability.
04-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #59

Some are conversations I've had with people on the know, other on threads scattered all over the PentaxForums. If you have any specific questions open a new thread and chances are members will oblige you with a answers..
This did the trick.. Pentax (lens) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ;-)
04-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Pixel shifting is cool, as is the features of the GPS that we had with the K5.
I missed having the ability to store locations in the K3, and now I will always have a GPS unit with me. I never seemed to have an O-GPS-1 with me when I needed it (I have two).

Missing the flash? Sure, I get that Pentax had to put the GPS gear in that space, and I'm sure that the digital interface that the O-GPS-1 used as for the flash contacts, has been hard wired under the hood.

So it should be fine. On the fence if I will pick one up.
It doesn't say Ricoh. Sure you'll buy one.

Not sure if the accelerometer is enough for panning detection. But even if it is, Pentax may just have thought "we know when the camera turns, thanks to the compass, so we can just say if it turns for more than 0.5 seconds it's not shake but panning".

I doubt that a firmware upgrade will give the K-3 all sorts of new features... IMHO one shouldn't expect Pentax to add functionality after the release of the camera. They did that, occasionally, long time ago. But in recent years...

This seems to be a nice upgrade to the K-3, though not big enough perhaps to convince K-3 users. More so K-5 users etc.?

The improved SR mechanism interests me...