Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tariq Quote
The new panning control of the SR feature almost certainly makes use of the built in compass to know which direction the camera is panning. The original K3 does not have a compass.

From the Adorama article:

"Additionally, the new panning detection feature on the K-3 II detects the moving direction of the camera and controls the SR unit."
Probably true. Including a small IMU (inertial measurement unit) like in mobile phones will probably be a prerequisite for panning detection. The implementation of the GPS... might add just this, thus probably no easy firmware tweak for K-3. Wondering if this is able to support continuous AF, thus also no possible K-3 upgrade...

04-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #32
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Im waiting for Real World Release price too.....In the USA !
That's a Contradictio in terminis
04-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BertH Quote
That's a Contradictio in terminis
Well.....I do live here....lol
I just need a price before I dive in headfirst into an empty Pool ?
Pretty sure Im getting my feet wet on this one that has "Best Landscape Camera" written all over it......anybody want a K3 ?
04-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Olympus leads in IBIS currently. Pentax SR is stuck in 2008 performance levels still. I guess they had to improve the SR to support the giant FF lenses and also the Pixel Shifting.
This purported leak sounds like a paid marketing advertisement by Ricoh.
But everyone does it these days. Why not them?

04-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new panning control of the SR feature almost certainly makes use of the built in compass to know which direction the camera is panning. The original K3 does not have a compass.

From the Adorama article:

"Additionally, the new panning detection feature on the K-3 II detects the moving direction of the camera and controls the SR unit."
No previous Penax DSLR had one. This is what the Pentax O-GPS1 was for. The exif with pics using the GPS had the direction I was shooting. It's a cool feature, and handy for landscape photos. On Lightroom this info shows up.
04-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pixel shifting is cool, as is the features of the GPS that we had with the K5.
I missed having the ability to store locations in the K3, and now I will always have a GPS unit with me. I never seemed to have an O-GPS-1 with me when I needed it (I have two).

Missing the flash? Sure, I get that Pentax had to put the GPS gear in that space, and I'm sure that the digital interface that the O-GPS-1 used as for the flash contacts, has been hard wired under the hood.

So it should be fine. On the fence if I will pick one up.
04-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
No previous Penax DSLR had one. This is what the Pentax O-GPS1 was for. The exif with pics using the GPS had the direction I was shooting. It's a cool feature, and handy for landscape photos. On Lightroom this info shows up.
I agree. Having the direction shot in addition to the GPS coordinates is going to be very useful.

04-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #38

I agree. Having the direction shot in addition to the GPS coordinates is going to be very useful.
But this is old, if you bought a O-GPS1 then every shot has orientation. I've been using it since it came out. Great little add on. Even better now to have it inside the camera!
04-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
But this is old, if you bought a O-GPS1 then every shot has orientation. I've been using it since it came out. Great little add on. Even better now to have it inside the camera!
Yep but the point is: GPS itself does NOT mean you get direction. Some simple GPS (not so old ones) will not include compas and will only be able to deduct orientation from your movements. Once you stop, your direction information is bogus. Most of the time now, compas is included of course.
04-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Probably true. Including a small IMU (inertial measurement unit) like in mobile phones will probably be a prerequisite for panning detection. The implementation of the GPS... might add just this, thus probably no easy firmware tweak for K-3. Wondering if this is able to support continuous AF, thus also no possible K-3 upgrade...
The K5 and the K3 already have 3d accelerometers (remember the automatic horizon leveling function?) so panning detection is most probably only a software hack. AF could also be software, and the improved SR = software.

But then again, it could also be a combination with some new hardware as well. New better accelerometers and gyros wouldn't hurt, and maybe stronger SR actuators.
04-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep but the point is: GPS itself does NOT mean you get direction. Some simple GPS (not so old ones) will not include compas and will only be able to deduct orientation from your movements. Once you stop, your direction information is bogus. Most of the time now, compas is included of course.
Oh, ok yeah, true.
04-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I hope they take pity on K3 owners and give us some freebies such as pixel-shift or improved AF-C via software update
04-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I hope they take pity on K3 owners and give us some freebies such as pixel-shift or improved AF-C via software update
Supposedly the AF.C is already improved with the v1.20 firmware. Maybe it can get even better?
04-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Supposedly the AF.C is already improved with the v1.20 firmware. Maybe it can get even better?
I hope so, although I'm afraid the "pixel-shift" might need beefier hardware (ala K3ii) to work, I'm not holding my breath for that one.
04-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I hope so, although I'm afraid the "pixel-shift" might need beefier hardware (ala K3ii) to work, I'm not holding my breath for that one.
What 'beefier' hardware? Same AF module in the II. Same Prime III processor. Unless it ties into the SR...