Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,602
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
so why not use electronic shutter in live view? Why does it need the flap the mirror en actuate the shutter.
Does the mirror actually flap in LiveView, or are you hearing the shutter running through its dual cycle?

Enable LiveView
Press Live View Button -> Mirror Up and Shutter Open to read the sensor and produce a 'view' on the LCD.

Take Photograph
Press Shutter Release -> Shutter Close -> Open-Close* -> Open to read the sensor and produce a 'view' on the LCD.


* Image Capture

04-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #137
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Frog-eaters country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 359
Wow.
Combined with exposure bracketing, (capturing full colors and multiple exposure in one shot), it could be a landscape's dream machine...
04-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #138
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,954
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Does the mirror actually flap in LiveView, or are you hearing the shutter running through its dual cycle?
The mirror does flap on some of the cheaper models. This is because the mirror and the shutter shares the same motor, so to load the springs for the shutter they have to cycle the mirror.

But at least on the K5 or K3 the shutter and the mirror have separate motors and can thus move independently.
04-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #139
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,574
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
The sensor shift thing looks kind of neat but i dont really know why pentax is limiting it to use with a tripod.
Is this a serious question? You will hand hold the camera while it takes 4 pictures, shifting exactly one pixel between them? Wow.

QuoteQuote:
If pentax really improved their video i think that would help too. It was widely reported that their stabilization doesnt work well with video and thats a game killer imho. It's not enough to be a good stills camera these days. You need be able to do both reasonably well. I wonder if they will fix this with the m3
I don't think that's true at all. Not all of us do pro video. In fact, I am pretty sure most of us don't.

---------- Post added 04-23-15 at 03:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
To me this is funny how many are impressed and for me even tricked by a non event.
The pixel shift technology is NOT a non event. It might not make a difference for cat pictures, but for some people it will be a godsend. And I think pixel peepers are going to take notice, it's just a matter of time.

QuoteQuote:
This is disapointing for me. It is not worth the added money compared to current K3.
If you don't like it, don't buy it...

04-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #140
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,328
Probably the reality is that there are some K-3 left over parts that need to be dealt with somehow and this is often how they do it; to come up with slight to moderate but not game changing feature improvement, much like the mid cycle iPhones. Pricing makes sense from that standpoint, and also by the fact that FF is coming out pretty soon. Where they priced this I can see them doing sub 2 grand FF, at least the street price at that. They are trying to entice those who held out on K-3 with no plan to buy FF.
04-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,602
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The mirror does flap on some of the cheaper models. This is because the mirror and the shutter shares the same motor, so to load the springs for the shutter they have to cycle the mirror.

But at least on the K5 or K3 the shutter and the mirror have separate motors and can thus move independently.
The mirror stays up on the K-01.
04-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,602
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Probably the reality is that there are some K-3 left over parts that need to be dealt with somehow and this is often how they do it; to come up with slight to moderate but not game changing feature improvement, much like the mid cycle iPhones. Pricing makes sense from that standpoint, and also by the fact that FF is coming out pretty soon. Where they priced this I can see them doing sub 2 grand FF, at least the street price at that. They are trying to entice those who held out on K-3 with no plan to buy FF.
They've pretty much recovered all the costs of developing the K-3. Releasing an updated version allows them to receive cash flow from the new technologies in advance of their deployment on the FF while still making a per-unit profit on the K-3 II at $1,100 USD. I seriously doubt there are pallet loads of random parts just laying around assembly.

Amortizing at least partly the costs of internal GPS (pretty small probably since they likely just moved the circuitry from the O-GPS1 inside) and the pixel-shifting allows them to release the FF at a somewhat lower initial price.

I still doubt the FF will be less than $2,599 unless it uses less than cutting edge components and/or is spec'd to compete with a D610 (which will make me very unhappy).Since asahi man has pretty clearly stated it will use a 36Mp sensor I can't imagine it being less than a (D810) flagship camera - and a sub-$2,000 FF simply can't have flagship components and technology.
04-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #143
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,003
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
So, Pentax designers think the GPS is more useful than a built-in flash? To me it's stupirange!
To understand the move, you have to understand their niche.. outdoorsy landscape shooters. In this viewpoint, a GPS is more useful than a popup flash.

04-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #144
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
I suspect there are some assumptions on FPS rates that may not be correct. There are claims the K-3 and A6000 share the same sensor so how does the A6000 achieve 11 FPS while the K-3 8.3 FPS if the sensor readout is the limiting step on the K-3? More important, notice that the new Nikon 1 cameras achieve 60 FPS.

This leads me to think it's quite possible this high-res combo of four shots may be pulled off far more quickly than some are suggesting, especially since use of electronic shutter is involved. As for how fast the sensor itself can shift, we note Pentax/Ricoh claim the anti-moire function can be used reliably up to 1/500 sec. (I think that's the speed they stated). Put all this together and I wouldn't rule out this high-res capability with hand-held shooting.
04-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #145
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,003
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They've pretty much recovered all the costs of developing the K-3. Releasing an updated version allows them to receive cash flow from the new technologies in advance of their deployment on the FF while still making a per-unit profit on the K-3 II at $1,100 USD. I seriously doubt there are pallet loads of random parts just laying around assembly.

Amortizing at least partly the costs of internal GPS (pretty small probably since they likely just moved the circuitry from the O-GPS1 inside) and the pixel-shifting allows them to release the FF at a somewhat lower initial price.

I still doubt the FF will be less than $2,599 unless it uses less than cutting edge components and/or is spec'd to compete with a D610 (which will make me very unhappy).Since asahi man has pretty clearly stated it will use a 36Mp sensor I can't imagine it being less than a (D810) flagship camera - and a sub-$2,000 FF simply can't have flagship components and technology.
What was flagship yesterday will not be flagship tomorrow. Ie.. those parts will be cheaper with time. Case in point, the OGPS1 architecture is as you say likely just added to the K-3 II.
04-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #146
Veteran Member
neostyles's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 445
QuoteOriginally posted by Skewed Quote
The "dated feel" you dislike is a valuable asset to some of us. Having started with film some 60 years ago, I can use the K3 UI mostly intuitively while taking time to explore the new still-photographic features. To me, a flip out touch screen, built in wi fi, and NFC (all of which I have in other devices) are useful, but they're not photographic "basics".
Trust me, they really help with photography. 60 years ago, there was no such thing as liveview but this has helped me so much. 60 years ago there was no such thing as digital post processing (and if what i learned in my film photography classes was any sign it was pretty limited by today's standards) but these things have changed the face of photography forever. 60 years ago if you want to get shot that was taller than you, you would probably have to get something to stand on or something, but articulating touch screens help you to get shots from much higher vantage points. I often hear that pentax's marketing is to blame for their brand being a niche one, but i doubt that this is the case. We live in the age of social media and the information age and all the big names are making it easier to get yourself out there via social media channels. Video is huge today. It provides a powerful platform to communicate ideas. There is a reason why Youtube has billions of hits every month. The consumer market for video has really grown in the last two years, yet pentax doesn't seem to be all that concerned with video.

Is an aa simulator a photography "basic"? What about blinking lights? Point is that they are cherry picking what constitutes remain "true" to photography and the result is something that neither feels up to date or like the nod to their illustrious past. Thats why i ultimately chose to step away from pentax.
04-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #147
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The mirror stays up on the K-01.
Oh you ~
04-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,369
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
The price is only the icing on the cake. US$1099 is very aggressive, even lower than what the original K-3 launched at ($1299).

—DragonLord
That's a pretty good price indeed, but are there not software packages that simulate pixel shifting ?
04-23-2015, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #149
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,893
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Thats why i ultimately chose to step away from pentax.
You tell us that in every post of yours. No need.
04-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #150
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
That's a pretty good price indeed, but are there not software packages that simulate pixel shifting ?
Not as efficiently I believe. You can have the camera fire with SR on a tripod to generate multiple shots with the sensor in different positions, but you can't guarantee 1 pixel shift in four shots.

And with the SR off, you can't get pixel shifting at all. You can do photo stacking for noise reduction, but it won't be the same.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, af-c, camera, canon, d-fa, diglloyd, f2.8, features, ff, flash, gps, hardware, ii, iso, k-3, module, nikon, pentax, pentax k-3 ii, pentax news, pentax rumors, price, sample shots, sensor, shot, technology, time, utility
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-S2 Officially Announced Adam Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 12 05-23-2015 06:49 AM
Pentax K-3 Officially Announced (See our detailed preview here!) Adam Pentax News and Rumors 213 11-18-2014 01:46 AM
Pentax K-500, K-50, and Q7 cameras officially announced! Adam Pentax News and Rumors 346 07-08-2013 01:10 PM
Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs OFFICIALLY Announced Adam Pentax K-5 9 09-11-2012 08:43 AM
Pentax K-5 Officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 533 03-06-2012 05:45 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top