Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 12:55 AM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
The pixel shift can benefit in some scenario.
I used to shot several photos with tripod in the dark at high iso, then stacked them as one image to reduce noise.
I've tried that, but it's usually better to take one low iso photo with a longer shutter time then stacking several high iso ones.

04-24-2015, 01:08 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I really fail to understand that:
- It is still 24MP and the original K3 provide already quite sharp 24MP images, in particular if you are already on a tripod.
The question is the color separation and demosaicing artifacts. Just look at examples, you'll never get this real definition with a single shot behind a bayer filter. the foveon sensors will give this to you but will only be usable at 100 and 200 ISO.

- When on a tripod or even handled, doing a panorama give you much more in term of resolution.
Can you take a panorama in 1s or 2s, all processed ? Not the same usage, lot of PP, big files, require a longer focal length to achieve the result, ...

- You can only post process it in the camera or with Pentax provided camera software. Not possible to use Lightroom or DxO.
Pentax cannot release a new Ligthroom version but if it produce a full DNG file it will not even need one. Otherwise you just need to wait until Adobe provide it (in case they don't some easy workaround are possible to sum the files in PS).

- This work only for 100% still subjects. No living thing, no landscape if there wind or water or some living object in it. No studio if you are shooting a person. It will not work neither for long exposures like the typical waterfall, river or sea picture.
100% still during few seconds may be living things, if you ever shot some insects in macro you would know that.
Do you shoot panarama of persons in studio ? Do you complain that 400mm lenses are not practical to shoot peoples in studio ? That's just not done for this.

What is the use of more resolution anyway?
- Heavy cropping... Not realistic. When on a tripod you are much more likely to carefully frame your image, in particular if you want all that resolution
- Huge prints things like 40"x30" at least.
To be able to crop is very usefull, directly usable 100% crop is a big thing. Again in macro beeing able to crop is really usefull. And being able to do a big print of a cropped image is really good. If you don't want good resolution just go for an older DSLR.
I just remind you that your first words was "It's still 24Mpix" so you want more pixels but no effective resolution, just resize your pictures in PS.
04-24-2015, 01:09 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-3II prices in the kit:
K-3II + 18-55mm: 1099 euros
K-3 II + 18-135mm lens: 1399 euros
K-3II + 16-85mm lens: 1499 euros

Last edited by Stavri; 04-24-2015 at 01:18 AM.
04-24-2015, 01:17 AM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
18-55mm II
16-85mm II
"II" - is it a different version of this lens?

04-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
"II" - is it a different version of this lens?
slight error...fixed
04-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #186

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3II prices in the kit:
K-3II + 18-55mm II: 1099 euros
K-3 II + 18-135mm lens: 1399 euros
K-3II + 16-85mm II lens: 1499 euros
In Finland:

Body only 999,- euros
18-135 kit 1299,- euros

Same shop sells K-3 classic body only 859.- (including 21% discount) and 18-135 kit 1449,- !!!

K-S2 18-135 kit is 1129.-

I think there must be coming some tweaking on prices...
04-24-2015, 01:38 AM   #187
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vcollerp Quote
From the press release Q&A sheet.

Is the CMOS image sensor snd imaging engine identical to that of the K-3?Yes, it is.
Thanks. I hasn't seen that. What I had seen was the DPR preview where they seemed to have just assumed it to be the same sensor.

I'm still wondering whether this is supposed to replace the K-3 or to be sold alongside it.

04-24-2015, 02:39 AM   #188
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too bad the pixel-shift tech won't make it to the 645Z. Just imagine how glorious it would be for pixelpeepers and billboard printers (and a horrible nightmare for gfx artists for giant print ads)

However, the P-S technique going into FF.... Picture that. Wish I had more bucks!
04-24-2015, 02:45 AM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really fail to understand that:
- It is still 24MP and the original K3 provide already quite sharp 24MP images, in particular if you are already on a tripod.
- When on a tripod or even handled, doing a panorama give you much more in term of resolution.
- You can only post process it in the camera or with Pentax provided camera software. Not possible to use Lightroom or DxO.
- This work only for 100% still subjects. No living thing, no landscape if there wind or water or some living object in it. No studio if you are shooting a person. It will not work neither for long exposures like the typical waterfall, river or sea picture.

What is the use of more resolution anyway?
- Heavy cropping... Not realistic. When on a tripod you are much more likely to carefully frame your image, in particular if you want all that resolution
- Huge prints things like 40"x30" at least.

It may sell cameras but the practical use of this is very limited.
I think the whole point is to get maximum detail and color depth in the same size image. You definitely could use it for things like waterfalls. The detail in the waterfall itself wouldn't increase, but the feature would still work on all of the surrounding image. Since a lot of people shoot longer exposures making the water all milky anyway, I don't think this would change that.

If you have looked at Foveon photos, there definitely is a different look that they have because of the increased color depth. If this provides something similar, it definitely would be useful for landscape shooters.
04-24-2015, 04:06 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
And what exactly is stopping you from doing both pixel shifting each shot and stitching several into a hyper-resolution panorama? I get it: nothing...you just want to cast a bad light on this.

Also, in the first point you argue that there is no need for extra resolution, yet in the very next one you argue for more, using panorama...

Straight question: what is your agenda here?
I have no particular agenda, I just feel that the new K3-II bring almost nothing a bit like the new K5-II did bring almost nothing. At least the K5-IIs did remove the low pass filter an increase in sharpness that applied to all shoots. This applied to all shoots. Not a few ones.

As for arguing for more resolution, I simply explain how somebody that want it can get it if needed. Not limited to better 24MP, but ilimited basically.

The thing is sticking a panorama is something you can do with you current camera (even your smartphone again). It can be very easy just take a cheap tele and do it, it can even be done handled for simple cases. While I still think this most often not necessary and bothersome you can get a 50MP in a few seconds by just stiching 3 shots.

The technique work will moving subjects if they are not part of several pictures, it allow for very shallow deph of field (brenizer), almost unlimited resolution if your tele is long enough and also allow to have wider angle of view than what your lens permit. It open possibility for virtual tours and 360° viewing.

While panorama stiching is still bothersome and limited in its use, it's potential applications are much broader and effective.

The K3-II (or K3) could have included the software to make panorama in its firmware offering much broader application spectrum. It could have improved the flash so it could effectively replaced a basic cobra dedicated flash in most situations, making it innovative and clearly distinguish itself.

Instead we get geotagging, astro tracer and better 24MP while on a tripod.
04-24-2015, 04:27 AM - 7 Likes   #191
Veteran Member

It is refreshing to see new announcements and product enhancements. Not every enhancement and new product will be suited for every Pentax user. However in the past year or so we've seen the announcement in optics from the 1.4TC to new full frame lenses; high resolution studio/ professional 645D; several firmware updates; and now the K-3II. If a new particular lens, camera or other accessory is not for you - who cares - perhaps the next one will be up your alley. The introduction of new products, enhancements on a regular basis with more to come is great to see. Thank you Ricoh.
04-24-2015, 04:28 AM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
It is refreshing to see new announcements and product enhancements. Not every enhancement and new product will be suited for every Pentax user. However in the past year or so we've seen the announcement in optics from the 1.4TC to new full frame lenses; high resolution studio/ professional 645Z; several firmware updates; and now the K-3II. If a new particular lens, camera or other accessory is not for you - who cares - perhaps the next one will be up your alley. The introduction of new products, enhancements on a regular basis with more to come is great to see. Thank you Ricoh.
Good post!!! And there is more to come!
04-24-2015, 04:37 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the whole point is to get maximum detail and color depth in the same size image. You definitely could use it for things like waterfalls. The detail in the waterfall itself wouldn't increase, but the feature would still work on all of the surrounding image. Since a lot of people shoot longer exposures making the water all milky anyway, I don't think this would change that.

If you have looked at Foveon photos, there definitely is a different look that they have because of the increased color depth. If this provides something similar, it definitely would be useful for landscape shooters.
Not just landscapes. The new system could work very well for interiors like the old churches I like to photograph. They are full of detail, interesting textures and subtle hues on the old stonework. The proof of course will be how this all pans out in practice, but perhaps it is best seen as the first iteration of something which could gradually develop into a a very powerful and adaptable tool. Chances are that over the next few years, beefier processors, new sensors and more sophisticated software will take the idea further than it can go right now.
04-24-2015, 04:39 AM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Thank you Ricoh.
I agree. Ricoh have breathed new life into Pentax, right across the range.
They have indeed proven themselves to be serious and committed Pentaxians!
04-24-2015, 04:47 AM   #195
Veteran Member

I just feel that the new K3-II bring almost nothing a bit like the new K5-II did bring almost nothing. At least the K5-IIs did remove the low pass filter an increase in sharpness that applied to all shoots. This applied to all shoots. Not a few ones.
K-5II brought one of the best low light AF module available, with substantially better accuracy comparing to its predecessor. The "s" version added increased resolution. Both had some improvements in P-TTL flash exposure and slightly worse LCD screen event if the flare resistance where slightly better. Anyway, it's far from nothing in my book - I upgraded from the K-5, to the IIs version and it was surprisingly a big change.
There is a chance that they really improved the AF-C in the K-3II and optimized the sensor output, so just those two will bring changes worth upgrading. Especially if they don't pass it down to older models...
The thing is sticking a panorama is something you can do with you current camera (even your smartphone again). It can be very easy just take a cheap tele and do it, it can even be done handled for simple cases. While I still think this most often not necessary and bothersome you can get a 50MP in a few seconds by just stiching 3 shots.
That's completely different thing with different application.
The K3-II (or K3) could have included the software to make panorama in its firmware offering much broader application spectrum.
It can be easy done in post process, pixel shifting can't.