Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 03:31 AM   #271

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I can't tell about the kitlense. Never used one
haha I will have to. K3II + Sigma 18-35 is a bit pricey for a student to buy on the same day. Hopefully I can get the lens later this year, shooting architecture with the Sigma and with pixel shift on must be paradise. Maybe even better, than D810 and Nikon whatever glass.

Thx for the answer(s)

04-25-2015, 03:33 AM   #272
Veteran Member

All i know of specs, is that the AF module inside has been improved.
You mean some hardware was improved/changed? Or it's a software that was re-written to e.g. use the metering sensor info better?
04-25-2015, 03:36 AM   #273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Solaire Quote
haha I will have to. K3II + Sigma 18-35 is a bit pricey for a student to buy on the same day. Hopefully I can get the lens later this year, shooting architecture with the Sigma and with pixel shift on must be paradise. Maybe even better, than D810 and Nikon whatever glass.

Thx for the answer(s)
I can see that one. Im in another different situation, but i have been where you are, so can relate. And pleasure is mine

---------- Post added 04-25-15 at 12:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
You mean some hardware was improved/changed? Or it's a software that was re-written to e.g. use the metering sensor info better?
Yes, if i understood them correctly, its been changes to the AF module sitting in the camera.
04-25-2015, 03:39 AM   #274
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
With the auto focus not being that fantastic on the K-5, I'd need to know that the AF is way better on the K-3II before I am upgrading?
I bought the K3 to replace a K5 when it was introduced just for AF improvements. I found the K3 AF much improved with AF.C and feel the upgrade was well worth it. Since the K3-II will be as good or better than the K3 I don't think you can go wrong. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder as is "way better."

04-25-2015, 03:48 AM   #275
Veteran Member

Yes, if i understood them correctly, its been changes to the AF module sitting in the camera.
I'm even more curious now... But that also means, that we may not see firmware updates that pass those improvements down to older models...
04-25-2015, 04:10 AM   #276
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, its a big step up! I haven't used the K-5, but i know the difference between that and the first K-3 after talking with other photographers. And i myself, know the difference between the K-3 and K-3 Mark II. So you can safely upgrade

---------- Post added 04-25-15 at 11:41 AM ----------

Aaah, ok. I know its improved in general, but can't say anything about specific lenses..yet! I will use a few concerts during May to test the different lenses at work with the K-3 Mark II. Will do a full rapport end of may.
I'm really interested in high ISO low light performance. Please posy some shots if you can. I hope ISO 6400 usable.
04-25-2015, 04:11 AM   #277
Veteran Member

I'm even more curious now... But that also means, that we may not see firmware updates that pass those improvements down to older models...
I haven't read up on all the technical aspect of this, but i would belive that it would be hard to use only FW to update this. Not all improvements can go back in time.

---------- Post added 04-25-15 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm really interested in high ISO low light performance. Please posy some shots if you can. I hope ISO 6400 usable.
Im shure we'll see improvements on 3200. I still need to test it on 6400 in dark places, but I'm not shure an apc-s sensor is good enough for that.

04-25-2015, 04:13 AM   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I bought the K3 to replace a K5 when it was introduced just for AF improvements. I found the K3 AF much improved with AF.C and feel the upgrade was well worth it. Since the K3-II will be as good or better than the K3 I don't think you can go wrong. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder as is "way better."
Thanks mate, I must say that i like the K-5 no worries, but AF improvement is what i need at present, for general stuff the K-5 is fine as such. Looking forward to an upgrade. Actually I said that about the K-3 but held off, and now surely is the time for upgrade
04-25-2015, 04:24 AM   #279
Veteran Member

I haven't read up on all the technical aspect of this, but i would belive that it would be hard to use only FW to update this. Not all improvements can go back in time.
But they are still planning to release an update, to the K-3 at least, right?
04-25-2015, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #280
Veteran Member

But they are still planning to release an update, to the K-3 at least, right?
Yes, that was the understanding i got. Not shure when and how big yet. But yes
04-25-2015, 05:01 AM   #281
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I took pictures using my Pentax Q7; the standard prime lens enabled me to shoot at f/1.9, but even then I was down to a hand-held 1/6 second several times. Ignoring the color depth issues that go with a smaller sensor, I did some pixel-peeping, and every piece of writing visible was as sharp as possible at the 12MP provided by that sensor. The Pentax SR certainly did its job, and I am confident that the K-3ii will provide an even better stability.
In those situations, the Q system has the extra advantage of using leaf shutters,
which have better-balanced moving masses when they're fired.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
But, of course, if the SR mechanism is doing its job of providing stability in a dark place, it won't be able to enhance the image thru pixel shifting.
Good point.

Although the SR+PS trick might be possible theoretically,
it would take way more processing power than a Milbeaut has available.
04-25-2015, 05:14 AM   #282
Veteran Member

Better high ISO is from reduced noise I guess (the sensor is the same). Does that also mean increased dynamic range?
Also is there any info about the 18-55 kit? I have seen only one pic and it looked like it's the DA L version (the one that doesn't have quick-shift). For a flagship I was expecting a... ehmm... flagship kit lens
Choice of three kit lenses in the UK, cheapest first:

18-55 WR
18-135 WR
16-85 WR.

I'd imagine that there will be similar options elsewhere, too.
04-25-2015, 05:19 AM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The AA filter simulation and SR at the same time is possible, so there is chance to do something like that even with the current version of Milbeaut, I guess...
04-25-2015, 05:46 AM   #284
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The SR system needs responsiveness but probably only little processing power.
04-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #285
Pentaxian

Yes, its a big step up! I haven't used the K-5, but i know the difference between that and the first K-3 after talking with other photographers. And i myself, know the difference between the K-3 and K-3 Mark II. So you can safely upgrade

(...)
Not on work. I had the chance, but let it go. Cause i will get my finished Mark II's very soon. I have spoken with a couple of the pre-testers, and they all say that its much better AF, especially in AF-C and a little bit better in high ISO. So my feedback are atm more from the testers, then from me using it at work. I have to be honest

(...)
kenspo, beware, you are again transforming hearsay into personal experience...

Better high ISO is from reduced noise I guess (the sensor is the same). Does that also mean increased dynamic range?
(...)
Yes, same sensor, but some changes in the tweaking. I can't tell about the DR yet.

(...) All i know of specs, is that the AF module inside has been improved.
(...)

We already have the answer from asahi man:
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Good morning from the other side of the Moon
The Sensor is made in the same production run, the Antishake Unit is new and improved!
The AF module is the same, but behind the module is something different, also it looks like little improved hardware behind the AF module.
(...)
Also a new FW update is around the corner, but it looks like that we cannot get the same AF power in the K-3 old, so it looks really like a little Hardware change.
(...)