Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tokina released details on their AT-X 24-70 f/2.8 PRO FX full frame lens | Photo Rumors

Maybe Pentax is working with Tokina again....

05-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #542
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote

Stay on target.
05-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #543
Pentaxian

So a new GR. Will it have a 23mm lens? (a replacement,) or a wider or longer lens (an alternative). We'll hafta wait
05-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #544
Site Supporter

I mentioned something along the same lines when I first heard news given history between the two companies. I even looked hard at this lens performance specs to get a feeling of what the new D-FA 24-70 could offer. The form members weren't receptive to my speculations so I let the argument drop. (but I have a feeling it might be the same lens with the Pentax upgrades)

05-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #545
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I mentioned something along the same lines when I first heard news given history between the two companies. I even looked hard at this lens performance specs to get a feeling of what the new D-FA 24-70 could offer. The form members weren't receptive to my speculations so I let the argument drop. (but I have a feeling it might be the same lens with the Pentax upgrades)
It would be a bummer if they put it at the same price point as caninikon while the Tokina for Caninikon would be about 1200 dollars. So maybe They didn't co÷perate with Tokina on this as the other two D FA 's are not reflected in the tokina line up, as of yet. Also why buy a Pentax when you can get the same lenses cheaper on a Canonikon...
05-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #546
Site Supporter

It would be a bummer if they put it at the same price point as caninikon while the Tokina for Caninikon would be about 1200 dollars. So maybe They didn't co÷perate with Tokina on this as the other two D FA 's are not reflected in the tokina line up, as of yet. Also why buy a Pentax when you can get the same lenses cheaper on a Canonikon...
That's a good point, It wouldn't make sense to charge $2000+ for a $1300 lens with better coatings, DC and WR
05-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #547
Pentaxian

When using the DC drive that is in the 70-200 and 150-450 the design would have to be a lot different from the Tokina. Coatings are schmoatings. and WR would also require a redesign of the body. Why not develop your own lens when it has to be so much different anyway.
05-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #548
Site Supporter

When using the DC drive that is in the 70-200 and 150-450 the design would have to be a lot different from the Tokina. Coatings are schmoatings. and WR would also require a redesign of the body. Why not develop your own lens when it has to be so much different anyway.
WR would Not bring necessary changes judging from the look of the Tokina AT-X Pro 16-50/f2.8 and 50-135/f2.8. The DC housing will need more room near the mount, giving it the tubular and bulky D-FA look of the other lenses we've seen so far.

Last edited by Stavri; 05-09-2015 at 11:15 AM.
05-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #549
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a good point, It wouldn't make sense to charge $2000+ for a $1300 lens with better coatings, DC and WR
WR would bring necessary changes judging from the look of the Tokina AT-X Pro 16-50/f2.8 and 50-135/f2.8. The DC housing will have to be make room near the mount, giving it the tubular and bulky D-FA look of the other lenses we've seen so far.
that was announced during the 2014 CP+ show
05-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #550
Pentaxian

I am curious as to if the 27 point AF of the K3II set at AF C (center) will be any advantage over the speed or tracking of the K5IIS (set at AF C) which really is a superior performer for me.
05-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #551
Site Supporter

K-5II superior to K-3 AF-wise?
05-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #552
Site Supporter

In reality the K5iis better compliments the AF of current sdm lenses ( think of this as one generation old AF module with a generation old SDM motors), the K3 is said to be so "demanding" that the slower SDM lenses cannot match the translation but seem to be bogged down by it. The K3 AF-C outperforms the K5iis in screw-drive lenses from what I've seen firsthand. The answer to which camera has the best AF module would be answered once the new d-FA's are tested on both systems.
05-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
K-5II superior to K-3 AF-wise?
IIS not II. Are the evident advantages there is what I am saying.

---------- Post added 05-09-15 at 01:42 PM ----------

In reality the K5iis better compliments the AF of current sdm lenses ( think of this as one generation old AF module with a generation old SDM motors), the K3 is said to be so "demanding" that the slower SDM lenses cannot match the translation but seem to be bogged down by it. The K3 AF-C outperforms the K5iis in screw-drive lenses from what I've seen firsthand. The answer to which camera has the best AF module would be answered once the new d-FA's are tested on both systems.
Since I use Sigma 150-500 HSM, I suppose it would perform in a different way (better or worse) than the SDM types in relation to AF demands?
05-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #554

A guy in Pentax Group Saigon - Vietnam just had a hands on experience. He confirmed that the autofocus is superior to K3, especially in low light.

05-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #555
Pentaxian

Thanks for the info. I know the AF is advancing with the new models and tests will show the actual facts for the K3II, which seems quite worthy and is to be an excellent performer with great features. With the K5IIS performing very well for me, and the new models looking to be nice performers, waiting to possibly upgrade can depend on technical performance differences and how much I really need the new features (personal preferences). I have had 5 Pentax cameras, and they have all done well in their time.

---------- Post added 05-09-15 at 02:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Really Cool Quote
A guy in Pentax Group Saigon - Vietnam just had a hands on experience. He confirmed that the autofocus is superior to K3, especially in low light.

Thank you.