Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #721
Loyal Site Supporter

I know they do office and production printing products. I'm talking about competing in the photo inkjet market or even high quality photo dye sub printing. It would seem like a natural fit for the company. One more area they can compete with Canon.

05-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #722
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you notice I said "if you don't care about the pop up flash" immediately before mentioning the free GPS unit. If you are someone like me who uses either an external flash or radio triggers and has not used the pop flash for the last 6 years (all right, I did use it a couple of times after this thread started to see the results and was just as disappointed in them as I remembered), then it is free. I am not particularly interested in the K3 II (saving for the full frame camera, doncha know), but it has nothing to do with the lack of the pop up flash.
Rondec
Thanks for the response.. I am thinking about radio triggers if the FF or the "true" next gen. K3 come without flash triggers and maybe even if they do. Do you have a favorite model, I know there are a few out there and I would like the idea of not depending on line of sight.
05-22-2015, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #723
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
May I ask what percentage of all your shots are of bumblebees?[COLOR="Silver"]

Yes, I can see that if you want GPS info on every shot then the K-3 II is ideal. Are you using the O-GPS1 as a permanent fixture on your camera today?
You're completely out of line on this. Some of us need GPS more than onboard flash, that's all you need to know. No need for you to try and tell us we don't. Putting the GPS on top of the camera is no more convenient than mounting a flash on top of the camera. Now, if you'd like to drag this out, I'm going to give you a knock down drag out description of why that is so. Lets be nice, lets not go there. Stop trying to make out that for some the built in GPS is a wonderful thing. Something we've been asking for for a long time and something I seriously considered switching to a Canon 6D for or at least carrying a WGS with built in GPS.

Trying to tell other people what they need and don't need doesn't help your case. Better to just leave it. Some people need it. It's good Pentax offered a body with it, now we have something. In my case it may end up selling me a K-3II even though I wouldn't normally be ready to upgrade for another 18 months. My bet is, there are more of us waiting for this, than there are photographers that have to have onboard flash, which as often as not ruins images, rather than enhances them. Pentax is the hiker's/outdoorsman's choice, and I like how they cater to us. There's lots of companies that can get you better flash performance. If that's your thing, you need to switch brands. Pentax had made clear, top tier professional flash is not on their roadmap.
05-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #724
Loyal Site Supporter

Well put, Norm. I like built in flash and use it occasionally but I need gps coordinates and I have already ordered the K3ii for that reason. I have been using my Garmin or Backcountry Navigator app but they are a hassle to attach to the files. The O-GPS-1 works well but is often cumbersome in the field.

05-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You're completely out of line on this. Some of us need GPS more than onboard flash, that's all you need to know. No need for you to try and tell us we don't. Putting the GPS on top of the camera is no more convenient than mounting a flash on top of the camera. Now, if you'd like to drag this out, I'm going to give you a knock down drag out description of why that is so. Lets be nice, lets not go there. Stop trying to make out that for some the built in GPS is a wonderful thing. Something we've been asking for for a long time and something I seriously considered switching to a Canon 6D for or at least carrying a WGS with built in GPS.

Trying to tell other people what they need and don't need doesn't help your case. Better to just leave it. Some people need it. It's good Pentax offered a body with it, now we have something. In my case it may end up selling me a K-3II even though I wouldn't normally be ready to upgrade for another 18 months. My bet is, there are more of us waiting for this, than there are photographers that have to have onboard flash, which as often as not ruins images, rather than enhances them. Pentax is the hiker's/outdoorsman's choice, and I like how they cater to us. There's lots of companies that can get you better flash performance. If that's your thing, you need to switch brands. Pentax had made clear, top tier professional flash is not on their roadmap.
Good grief. Yes, the bumblebee question was tongue-in-cheek (sorry for leaving out the emoticon) but the question for jatrax was an honest question. The claim is GPS is desired on every shot. I'm curious to know if the existing "every shot solution" that Pentax offers for all of their cameras is being used. What's wrong with asking that?
05-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #726
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I know they do office and production printing products. I'm talking about competing in the photo inkjet market or even high quality photo dye sub printing. It would seem like a natural fit for the company. One more area they can compete with Canon.
I understand and agree that *making* a photo printer would be easy for Ricoh. Selling it to consumers is their challenge because Ricoh does not have a strong presence in the places where consumer products are sold outside Japan. In the USA, Ricoh's MAP change from a few years ago was hoped to get them into Target, Best Buy, etc. but it didn't accomplish that.
05-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #727
Site Supporter

Are you using the O-GPS1 as a permanent fixture on your camera today?
Yes. Anytime I am not in the studio. Which unfortunately means I cannot use flash of any sort.
05-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #728
Pentaxian

Good grief. Yes, the bumblebee question was tongue-in-cheek (sorry for leaving out the emoticon) but the question for jatrax was an honest question. The claim is GPS is desired on every shot. I'm curious to know if the existing "every shot solution" that Pentax offers for all of their cameras is being used. What's wrong with asking that?
Because no on has to justify to you why they want GPS built in. This is the explanation.
QuoteQuote:
I have been using my Garmin or Backcountry Navigator app but they are a hassle to attach to the files. The O-GPS-1 works well but is often cumbersome in the field.
Really, that's all that needs to be said. If you've worked with GPS and geotagging your images, you don't need an explanation, you already know. If you are going to try and do that , you'll find out. You can go through the whole process yourself, or you can trust the hundreds of people who've been through the whole mill, and accept, in camera GPS is the way to go if you want in GPS co-ordinates in your exif. An ad on unit isn't the same. You can forget it, you can lose it, or you can damage it in the field. It's simply not the same as built in.

And on my computer right now are probably 1000 files that I would love to have geotagged, for which it is probably not going to happen, because of how cumbersome off camera solutions are.

05-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #729
Pentaxian

Built in radio triggers is a good idea and hopefully Ricoh are considering it for the FF body. My hunch is they wouldn't go that route for anything below the FF in their lineup but obviously I don't know that. OTOH, Ricoh might not like the idea because they don't have an existing flash which can be radio-controlled (natively).
There are a lot of ideas, in this post and others.

But after I've read all of them, and parts the manual of K-3II, I have a strange idea that this camera wasn't build by some photographers, but by some engineers, good engineers, but not photographers. But still, I hope I'm wrong.
05-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #730
Site Supporter

but the question for jatrax was an honest question. The claim is GPS is desired on every shot. I'm curious to know if the existing "every shot solution" that Pentax offers for all of their cameras is being used. What's wrong with asking that?
Not a thing. It was a good question. For me, the GPS is far more useful than a flash. But worse the existing solution (O-GPS) precludes the use of ANY flash. With the built-in GPS I can now use the (optional) flash when I want it.

Since I have, and use, the O-GPS I'm not sure, yet, if I am going to get a K-3II. I was decided on waiting on the FF and having a FF with k-3 backup. Now, I am debating and Ricoh might end up selling me a k-3II and a FF. But to do that I need to sell the k-3 and the k-5IIs.

I certainly understand those that used the on board flash and will miss it. I would have dropped this long ago except someone keeps posting "GPS is only for bush wackers and adventurers" and that bugs me because it is not so. There are legitimate uses for GPS that have nothing to with the back country. I take FAR, FAR more pictures in the city than I do in the woods. Heck, I know where I'm at in the woods, it's in the city I get all confused.
05-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #731
Pentaxian

No. A perfect thing to catch branches. Not WR. The K3II is very tempting for that feature as well as the composite.
05-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #732
Pentaxian

I wish I have a Pentax camera which can make coffee, French fries, wash dishes, clothes, some house cleaning and other small tusk. Did you think that I want to much?

Oh. I have forget. Pancakes. Pleeeeeease.

Pancakes in Full Format !!!

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 05-22-2015 at 08:21 PM.
05-23-2015, 12:40 AM   #733

I have just realised that when I rename file names to be meaningful, I usually include the location taken, at least abbreviated. But for most photos I never do that, yet sometimes I dig them out months or years later. I often don't recall the location though! Built-in GPS/geotagging solves that problem and means I won't have to worry if I forget to add the location to the file name. And I have hardly ever added the direction of the shot to file names ("looking NW")... but it would often be useful to know that... K-3II !

K-3II will be very useful for me! If I need flash (rarely) I will plug in the compact external flash, which is cheaper to buy than O-GPS-1, or use my 2nd camera, which does have OBF. Or use my mobile phone, which is nearly as good as my K-3 anyway at the kind of distances the OBF works well at, and is even faster to grab from my pocket for candids than my K-3 is from my bag (often with the wrong lens on). No OBF? No problem.

Last edited by Dave L; 05-23-2015 at 12:48 AM.
05-23-2015, 02:55 AM   #734
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Rondec
Thanks for the response.. I am thinking about radio triggers if the FF or the "true" next gen. K3 come without flash triggers and maybe even if they do. Do you have a favorite model, I know there are a few out there and I would like the idea of not depending on line of sight.
I like the Cactus triggers. The V5 and V6 versions are both really good and reliable. Earlier ones really were made poorly and fell apart pretty quickly with even gentle use.
05-23-2015, 03:04 AM   #735
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This is a good point. But from my perspective the situation is reversed. I always want the GPS. It has nothing to do with "hiking" or "vacation" it has to do with embedding GPS in images, no matter where I am at, which is almost a requirement for me. When I need a flash, I know I will I need a flash so I pack it.
This is accomplished (for me) by having a built in GPS, that I will use for almost every shot, and an external flash that I will mount and use occasionally if the need arises.

I wish everyone would consider that camera GPS is not about "hiking" or "wilderness". If that is the only time you need GPS, then a hand held Garmin will serve as well, maybe better. Camera GPS is about gathering information along with the image to be used at a later date.

---------- Post added 05-22-15 at 11:51 AM ----------

This^^^ It would really move Pentax up in the eyes of many who use flash on a regular basis. Especially flash in uncontrolled environments. The technology is there to do this, they just need to commit to doing it. Maybe in the FF.
The reality to me is the trade wasn't GPS vs OBF, the two could co-exist easily but more astrotracer vs OBF. I do understand people than prefer it to OBF, no issue but to say that astro tracer is something you always want except for a few very dedicated night sky photographers is a bit overstated.