Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #916
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
No big deal, though; as a camera reviewer I'm very used to rocking completely different systems. We'll see what the future holds... Out of curiosity, which do you think would be more fair? Normalizing the comparison by using the "same" lens like a Sigma 18-35 1.8 on both a Nikon and a K-3 II, ...or simply comparing two of each systems's best performers respectively?
What you can get out of the key lenses like 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 on both system to me look quite interresting. In the end that's what count for the choice. You don't care much if it is the body or the lense.

Then for sure a comparison between 2 body with the same lense would make sense to compare bodies.

06-22-2015, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #917
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
My understanding by reading all that is the AF improvements in K3-II are negligible compared to the performance of K3 and that there still room for improvement compared to Canikon. A thing to remember for somebody that want to invest that much in telephotos lenses
Well, it's not! The difference is VERY noticeable.
06-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #918
Pentaxian

Kenneth, just to be clear: were you able to personally see such a difference? If so, in which areas? Could you say a few words on this subject? I'll forward them to a fellow Pentaxian worried about Pentaxforums (lack of) findings
Thank you.
06-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #919
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take pictures at rock and metal concerts. So you can imagine..difficult light, moving objects and a lot of smoke!

06-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #920
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Well, it's not! The difference is VERY noticeable.

yes that quote from PF review was a bit strange?? is the AF-C tracking better than K3?? main use for birds with my 150-450, even on my K5II is seems better than the DA*300 for tracking
06-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #921
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
yes that quote from PF review was a bit strange?? is the AF-C tracking better than K3?? main use for birds with my 150-450, even on my K5II is seems better than the DA*300 for tracking
Every review from PF on new bodies says that the autofocus is marginally better. I don't pay attention to that anymore. Better is very hard to define, and what someone experiences with a wide zoom or normal prime is different from what someone shooting at 300-500 mm experiences.

The way I look at it is the number of hits as a percentage. If I can get another 5% of the shots in focus, that is an improvement, which means 20 shots more in a typical 400 shot session. This morning 356 photos 302 were in focus. What would improve the numbers is faster tracking. I got about 1/3 bird in flight in focus. AFC, Hold at 4. Back button AF. When the light improved the hit rate went up substantially.

If the K3II is better than the K3, I'm interested. The 1.21 made a big difference for me, getting rid of almost all the missed focus situations, and improved the tracking.

But, and a big but, if the AF is improved I will start attempting more difficult shots, probably increasing my miss rate. That already has happened with 1.21.
06-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #922
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't tried it on flying birds, running animals etc. But in my working environment, the miss rate has dropped a lot. Still behind the others, but we're going the right way!
06-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #923
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I haven't tried it on flying birds, running animals etc. But in my working environment, the miss rate has dropped a lot. Still behind the others, but we're going the right way!
Well because you see a huge difference and Pentax forum see none on this K3-II could you maybe put some numbers behind? Like with K3 on a concert I shoot X pictures, Y are out of focus... with K3-II, I shoot X', Y' are out of focus... That's an improvement for my practice of Z% ?

I say that because I find it a bit strange to have yourself that the difference is VERY noticable and PF that say there is none visible. With actual number or at least more elaborate response we can better understand how substantive it is.

You know "VERY noticable" is a bit fuzzy. I would think VERY noticable would be like faillure rate divided by 2 but derekkite more or less explained that just a small increase could be "VERY noticable" for him... (or something like that). Out of 400 shoots... But sure for Pentax forum out of maybe 20 shoots they didn't see anything.

The "VERY noticable" of some can be the "negligible" of others. That's the issue with qualitative qualifiers.

06-23-2015, 12:28 AM   #924
Pentaxian

One way of testing the AF would be to have both cameras to be tested mounted side by side with the same type of lenses. Both firing away simultaneously with AFC and all AF points active.
Let a kid run around in front of the cameras. Then compare the results. Would be interesting.
06-23-2015, 05:42 AM   #925
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I say that because I find it a bit strange to have yourself that the difference is VERY noticable and PF that say there is none visible.
Hint: they were likely shooting:

(a) different scenes;
(b) different events;
(c) different lenses;
(d) different camera settings;
(e) different levels of shooting experience.

You want overly simple answers for complicated questions.

---------- Post added 2015-06-23 at 10:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
One way of testing the AF would be to have both cameras to be tested mounted side by side with the same type of lenses. Both firing away simultaneously with AFC and all AF points active.
That's about what is needed - comparable testing under comparable circumstances, leaving the only variable the behaviour of the camera. Not highly variable testing under highly variable conditions.
06-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #926
Pentaxian

Testing is almost impossible to do in a way that would be useful. Each lens in a very wide suite of conditions and light. A fixed body would tell us little how it would focus in someone's hands. Subjective comments with some clues as to the circumstances is useful.

Kenspo, did you try the K3 with 1.20 to compare? I noticed the center point characteristics changed with that firmware upgrade. Changed slightly for the worse while the general experience changed for the better.
06-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #927

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I noticed the center point characteristics changed with that firmware upgrade. Changed slightly for the worse while the general experience changed for the better.
I honestly cannot say that I've noticed such a change for the worse with the K3 + DA560mm (nor a change for the better though) In what way do you feel it is worse?

Chris
06-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #928
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A recent positive review of the K3 II

Pentax K-3 II Review | PhotographyBLOG
06-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #929
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Those are nice shots. Can you post some unedited low light high ISO shots? It would be mice to know how this camera handles noise.
A high isos there is an improvement compared to k3 and almost equals the k5IIs.
In this thread there are benchmarks.
The page is in spanish.
K3-K3II-K5IIs Comparativa RD y ruido mas fotos k3 - Pentaxeros.com

The parrot is in the shade and ISO 2200 plumage very well appreciated

Last edited by colodion; 02-20-2017 at 05:25 AM.
06-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #930

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Testing is almost impossible to do in a way that would be useful. Each lens in a very wide suite of conditions and light. A fixed body would tell us little how it would focus in someone's hands. Subjective comments with some clues as to the circumstances is useful.
Subjective testing is what I get paid to do, and having used pretty much every Canon & Nikon DSLR since day one, I'll approach the K-3 II with hopeful but reasonable expectations. Nailing focus at any aperture in any light is a pet project for me in particular, so if I have a wide enough variety of lenses and environments to test in, I hope to be able to very quantifiably determine just how close they are in performance. We'll see how it goes...