Show Printable Version 227 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI: Amazon has a May 25 release date.

—DragonLord

04-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Good riddance to the built-in flash. Even as a controller for external flashes it wasn't very useful. Pentax needs to revamp their flash system though, ideally based on radio communication. Putting a huge flash on the camera just to trigger external flashes is silly. So far, the Cactus V6 system would be the one to choose for the K-3 II.

I don't get the inclusion of GPS . The astrotracer function is nice, but most people will use it very rarely, in particular because its efficacy is marred by the not entirely reliable compass. Buying the O-GPS1 for respective occasions was perfectly adequate, AFAIC.

Most people that need geotagging have their own solutions that do not reduce the battery life of the camera. Now everyone is paying for GPS, which they may not need at all. Hopefully, one can turn it off permanently to increase battery life.

Sensible additions would have been WiFi and/or an articulating screen.

Will be interesting to see how well the pixel-shifting will work in practice. Nice potential.
04-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Good riddance to the built-in flash. Even as a controller for external flashes it wasn't very useful. Pentax needs to revamp their flash system though, ideally based on radio communication. Putting a huge flash on the camera just to trigger external flashes is silly. So far, the Cactus V6 system would be the one to choose for the K-3 II.
Opinions vary. Is it not useful just because you say so? I use the flash in this way often, and so do many others. If there were a radio control, then I'd be up for that, but otherwise the body needs a control mechanism, and the only one we have for Pentax is the optical control.
04-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #49
Veteran Member

We all questioned Ricoh's dedication to the Pentax product line a long while back. Today's announcement of the K-3 II should silence the critics and convince the detractors to become advocates! I'm very proud of Ricoh releasing this update to the K-3.

I have never gotten much use out of a built in flash. Every so often it can save a shot or two. I'm ok with it disappearing. Replacing it with GPS is odd to me. I would rather have replaced it with Wi-Fi.

Personally, I will pass on the K-3 II because I am plenty happy with my original K-3. The pixel shifting technology seems better suited for landscape and controlled professional studio environments. That's not my kind of photography. Still, I'm very proud of Ricoh here!

04-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Not quite, unless it can control external flashes...
The specs don't mention that tha AF201 can act as a master, so it appears it cannot. Really, having to buy something the size of an AF360 to get this functionality is not smart. I'm curious how many GPS units they sell every year to make them think this is a big draw.

---------- Post added 04-22-15 at 10:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have never gotten much use out of a built in flash. Every so often it can save a shot or two. I'm ok with it disappearing. Replacing it with GPS is odd to me. I would rather have replaced it with Wi-Fi.
I think that if it had been replaced with better WiFi, radio controlled flash or something generally useful, and there was a compact option which did everything the popup flash does, I could see it. As it is, though, even if I only used it every so often for a shot or two (I use it more) that is still more often than the times most of us have missed having a GPS.
04-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote

I could end up getting one of these bodies for the extra resolution effect, but never would I opt to trade the flash for a GPS.
Someone made the point that the K3ii can now have a GPS and attached flash simultaneously, on the K3 you couldn't have your pop-up flash released while attaching a GPS on the hotshoe.
04-22-2015, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Opinions vary. Is it not useful just because you say so?
I think it goes without saying that I just expressed my viewpoint and did not imply that everyone needs to adopt it.

I believe using the built-in flash to contribute to the illumination of the subject almost always results in results that are not consistent with using a DSLR of this category. In other words, the respective (lack of) sophistication of the image can be had with much simpler means.

The use of the built-in flash as a trigger for external flashes is a different matter, but even then you end up with the possibility of seeing its weak output during the main flash and have to arrange your external flashes in a way that they can "see" the on-camera flash.

I use the flash in this way often, and so do many others.
That's fine, but perhaps you wouldn't use the built-in flash anymore if you tried the alternative of having a dedicated flash controller like the V6 on top of the camera.

It is so much easier to be able to place external flashes any way you want them without caring for line-of-sight, and being able to define different flash power output levels (i.e., lighting ratios) by just turning a dial on an on-camera V6.

If there were a radio control, then I'd be up for that, but otherwise the body needs a control mechanism, and the only one we have for Pentax is the optical control.
You can use the Cactus V6 (or similar systems from Godox or Radiopopper) with radio control for Pentax today.

Flash power level control is manual, but P-TTL does not really support multiple off-camera flashes anyhow, so anyone using more than one off-camera flash has very little to lose and a lot to gain by switching from optical P-TTL to radio-based triggering.

04-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
R.Pentax is thinking outside the proverbial box, I suspect - and we're sitting inside it. Another gee-whiz feature will need the GPS or a-tracer internally, when we see it "most" of us will be amazed..
04-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems like the K-3 body size is holding Pentax back now.

The GPS is nice to have, but not essential. But the pop-up flash is essential to me as a trigger for my handheld flash. I can use my Cactus radio triggers, but it means I have to carry them and spare batteries around.

Pentax could have been smart to release an optional Pentax-branded hotshoe radio trigger pair to replace the missing flash.

An articulated screen is very useful too. Sorry that it's not there.

Last edited by Gray; 04-22-2015 at 10:03 PM.
04-22-2015, 10:56 PM   #55
Forum Member

Looks like a great camera, can't wait to see what Pixel Shift and improved SR are capable of.

Seeing how Ricoh is actively working on AF improvements, I really hope that new DA* 16-50 F2.8 (and 50-135) with DC motor is in the works right now. That upgrade is long way overdue IMHO and is a next bottleneck for Pentax pro-grade APS-Cs.
04-22-2015, 11:20 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I think it goes without saying that I just expressed my viewpoint and did not imply that everyone needs to adopt it.

I believe using the built-in flash to contribute to the illumination of the subject almost always results in results that are not consistent with using a DSLR of this category. In other words, the respective (lack of) sophistication of the image can be had with much simpler means.

The use of the built-in flash as a trigger for external flashes is a different matter, but even then you end up with the possibility of seeing its weak output during the main flash and have to arrange your external flashes in a way that they can "see" the on-camera flash.

That's fine, but perhaps you wouldn't use the built-in flash anymore if you tried the alternative of having a dedicated flash controller like the V6 on top of the camera.

It is so much easier to be able to place external flashes any way you want them without caring for line-of-sight, and being able to define different flash power output levels (i.e., lighting ratios) by just turning a dial on an on-camera V6.

You can use the Cactus V6 (or similar systems from Godox or Radiopopper) with radio control for Pentax today.

Flash power level control is manual, but P-TTL does not really support multiple off-camera flashes anyhow, so anyone using more than one off-camera flash has very little to lose and a lot to gain by switching from optical P-TTL to radio-based triggering.

+1 to this and could not have said it better myself.

Pop-up flash off camera flash control is 'so last week'
LOS and Cross triggering issues.
The wireless radio triggers today are cheap, good and many offer even more (eg. slave power control on YN560IV).
Its not 7yrs ago when it was Alien Bees or nothing. (only reliable and good option which also cost a lot)

That said, Pentax should offer a 'fair' priced solution for off camera PTTL flash control.
Asking users to buy x2 flash units for this, I think is rather too costly.
04-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
Looks like a great camera, can't wait to see what Pixel Shift and improved SR are capable of.

Seeing how Ricoh is actively working on AF improvements, I really hope that new DA* 16-50 F2.8 (and 50-135) with DC motor is in the works right now. That upgrade is long way overdue IMHO and is a next bottleneck for Pentax pro-grade APS-Cs.
I exactly feel the same!
04-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Sample shots with the K3ii......
I guess the two first picture are shoot with "super resolution" enabled. Google says that "Real resolution system" is ON for these.

Anyhow, I wonder what file format a super resolution picture is saved in? Is it jpeg only?
04-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I guess the two first picture are shoot with "super resolution" enabled. Google says that "Real resolution system" is ON for these.

Anyhow, I wonder what file format a super resolution picture is saved in? Is it jpeg only?

From the press release.

"
. Recorded images can also be synthesized, either on a computer using the accompanying utility software, or with the camera’s in-body RAW-data development function.
04-23-2015, 12:17 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vcollerp Quote
From the press release.

"
. Recorded images can also be synthesized, either on a computer using the accompanying utility software, or with the camera’s in-body RAW-data development function.
So if you develop in camera you get what? jpeg?