Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 02:52 AM   #76
Pentaxian

17 pictures one can download in full resolution. This is from the French official website; I presume you can find them on the other sites too.

PENTAX K-3 II - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

04-23-2015, 03:08 AM   #77
Veteran Member

The 100% crop with pixel shift are so good, will be hard to wait for the FF now ...
04-23-2015, 03:16 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am very surprised by how cheap the K-3II is (relatively speaking). Personally, I could really use the pixel-shift technology but I am too tempted to see what price (and size) the FF comes in at...

The only issue with the pixel-shift technology is it's limited range of uses assuming it needs a static scene and a sturdy tripod.

---------- Post added 04-23-15 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
The 100% crop with pixel shift are so good, will be hard to wait for the FF now ...
Well, think what the technology could do on a 36mp FF sensor
04-23-2015, 03:44 AM   #79

So does this rule out Pixel Shift via a firmware update for the K-3? Sorry if this has already been answered.

04-23-2015, 03:46 AM   #80
sTi
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vcollerp Quote
From the press release.

"
. Recorded images can also be synthesized, either on a computer using the accompanying utility software, or with the camera’s in-body RAW-data development function.
So we won't get a single 24MP Raw file that contains the full Pixel Shift resolution but get several Raw files that can only be processed in-camerato get a JPG or with the ugly Pentax Utility? That limits the usefulness considerably IMO.
04-23-2015, 03:49 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I am very surprised by how cheap the K-3II is (relatively speaking). Personally, I could really use the pixel-shift technology but I am too tempted to see what price (and size) the FF comes in at...

The only issue with the pixel-shift technology is it's limited range of uses assuming it needs a static scene and a sturdy tripod.

---------- Post added 04-23-15 at 11:17 AM ----------

Well, think what the technology could do on a 36mp FF sensor
Yeah, when I saw the price, it was pretty much a no-brainer for me.I do not have the basic K-3 so this will be a major upgrade in every way.

Had the price been say 1300 euros, maybe no purchase from me. For that kind of price I would have expected a flip screen, on-board wifi and one or both of a new processor or AF system.

I think the price really was the last missing, secret feature Many people were expecting a higher price.
04-23-2015, 03:53 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
So does this rule out Pixel Shift via a firmware update for the K-3? Sorry if this has already been answered.
At this point we don't know. The mentioning of new gyros in the improved SR mechanism of the K-3II have led some to speculate that the pixel-shift ability doesn't rely on any new hardware. If this indeed proves to be the case then it's possible that it could be added to the K-3.

However, I would be surprised, but delighted, if this happened given that the pixel-shift feature is perhaps the K-3II's major update.

I wouldn't complain if Pentax were to sell a firmware upgrade as a kind of 'K-3 Super' for existing K-3 users. It could contain:

1. The improved CAF algorithms
2. The Super-Pixel functionality
3. Auto Panning detection
4. Mechanical SR in movie mode (no idea if the K-3II has this or not)

I suppose that giving these to K-3 users for free wouldn't be a massive hit to Pentax's bottom line as fewer K-3 users are likely to upgrade to the K-3II but second hand K-3's could be upgraded with the firmware and I wonder how many might go that route.

But this is all speculation.

04-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #83
Veteran Member

The K-3 II is nice and it's being offered at a great price. But, just as with the Olympus E-M5 II, I personally have no use for the pixel-shift resolution system. I also prefer to have a built-in flash for fill purposes and don't want or need GPS. I'm sure there'll be a true K-3 replacement next year, just as the K-5 II was replaced after a year or so. Pentax just wanted APS-C users to know they haven't been forgotten amid all the full-frame excitement. Meanwhile, I'll keep on keepin' on with my K-5 and K-5 IIs and keep a sharp look out for a good K-3 closeout sale.
04-23-2015, 04:00 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
So we won't get a single 24MP Raw file that contains the full Pixel Shift resolution but get several Raw files that can only be processed in-camerato get a JPG or with the ugly Pentax Utility? That limits the usefulness considerably IMO.
If it works the same way as at Olympus, you will get one single 24 Mpix RAW file four times bigger than a standard one that you can process either in-camera, with Pentax Digital Camera Utility (once updated) or with your favourite photo processor, provided in this last case that either the programme editor has issued a version that supports the multi-shot function or Ricoh has provided the appropriate plug-in.

Last edited by Mistral75; 04-23-2015 at 04:22 AM.
04-23-2015, 04:16 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the pixelshift pics look almost too sharp
04-23-2015, 04:20 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
the pixelshift pics look almost too sharp
They are probably best case scenarios and we don't know whether they've been PP?

What I am interested in is to see what happens if it's used in less optimal situations - will you get worse images or less good images and presumably odd colour artefacting or smearing?
04-23-2015, 04:22 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Nice words from diglloyd:

diglloyd: Pentax K3 II: Out-Innovating Nikon and Canon

"Pentax deserves kudos for some very advanced and indeed unique features in a DSLR.

Features that the Pentax K3 II has that Nikon and Canon do not: sensor stabilization, built-in GPS, pixel-shift for higher-resolution images, HDR in raw, and synchronization for star movement. (...)

When this Pentax tech makes it into a full-frame camera, it becomes far more interesting and will provide a welcome technology alternative to NiCanon.
"
04-23-2015, 04:24 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
Maybe Photoshop will support subpixel stacking. Just skip interpolation and put the R-G-B-G (from the 4 images) together to get the RGB code for each pixel instead. Ricoh's approach is very clean and easy to perform, unlike the mass of Oly.

Pixel (1,1): R = Picture1(1,1) G = (Picture2(1,1)+Picture4(1,1))/2 B = Picture3(1,1)
Pixel (1,2): R = Picture2(1,2) G = (Picture1(1,2)+Picture3(1,2))/2 B = Picture4(1,2)
Pixel (1,3): blah blah blah

Wouldn't take too much time to replace interpolation with stacking.
04-23-2015, 04:33 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The word alternative in the last sentence is the key word in the quote. Many want to buy a Canon or Nikon with Pentax on the prism. Pentax wants - needs - to be something a little different.

If a low GN onboard flash is a high priority feature for a buyer, well, I guess I know what they should do.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Nice words from diglloyd:

diglloyd: Pentax K3 II: Out-Innovating Nikon and Canon

"Pentax deserves kudos for some very advanced and indeed unique features in a DSLR.

Features that the Pentax K3 II has that Nikon and Canon do not: sensor stabilization, built-in GPS, pixel-shift for higher-resolution images, HDR in raw, and synchronization for star movement. (...)

When this Pentax tech makes it into a full-frame camera, it becomes far more interesting and will provide a welcome technology alternative to NiCanon.
"
04-23-2015, 04:34 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Crikey! Purely going on that sample pic, Pixel shift with a macro lens and static subject could be very very interesting. And if the main aim of Pentax's PS is actually reduced noise, i can forsee some real potential in monochrome work where the darker end of the tonal range may not be filled with noise. Only in still life and/or static landscape etc, of course. Looking forward to seeing what users can do with this camera.

If the AF is improved as well, even if its only a small amount, then i may well have to finally make the jump from the k5.