Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 227 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 04:54 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This new and shiny K3-II looks really good. I'm waiting for that fullframe, so can't invest on this...that astrotracer inserted and panning, and hirez mode sound really good and feels like this IS really good update to K-3. Those who want onboard flash, just buy K-3 and it will be fine

---------- Post added 04-23-15 at 13:56 ----------

Not to mention improved SR too!

04-23-2015, 05:25 AM   #92
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Ok thanks, my only question is : what maximum speed for such a file ?
Yes, good question. I guess it is only useable for static objects, with a tripod. If the K3 exceeds 8 fps, I suppose shifting the sensor can be quasi-instantaneous, so probably a picture like this could be taken in less than 1s. If the mirror is left up during the exposition of the four shifted shots. Only tests will show, probably...
However, it is good to see Pentax experimenting novelties and taking advantage of their proprietary expertise.
04-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Must have been an ancient one. Even my relatively old tech Garmin eTrex 30 finds enough satellites to get a bearing in about 3 seconds, indoors or out. I hope the Pentax GPS supports GLONASS, like the eTrex The more usable satellites, the better.

And on the subject of the Pixel Shift tech, I assume it will boost resolution. Combining a non-AA filter with Pixel Shift tech promises effective resolution of much more than one might expect from a 24MP sensor.

But will Pixel Shift also boost dynamic range and signal to noise ratio? I presume Pixel Shifted images can be saved as 14bit RAW's, not just 8 bit JPG's....

I will also be curious to see how DxOMark score the K-3 II. Will DxOMark include Pixel Shifted output in it's score?
Plus how will existing RAW processors (DxO Optics Pro, C1, Lightroom etc) handle Pixel Shift RAW's? Many already have trouble with Foveon.
I'm sure GPS has come a long way since I had a Garmin.

I'm curious how the pixel stacking will work as well. I was expecting the K-3 to have a new image processor with a lot more processing power. I don't see how it can handle 4 14-bit RAW files and merge them into 1 single 14-bit RAW file with the old processor unless it is really slow or it is outputting an 8-bit JPEG.
04-23-2015, 06:31 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sTi Quote
So we won't get a single 24MP Raw file that contains the full Pixel Shift resolution but get several Raw files that can only be processed in-camerato get a JPG or with the ugly Pentax Utility? That limits the usefulness considerably IMO.
I sure hope you are wrong on this one, because if you are right then RP is telling us raw shooters we should be shooting jpeg for macros and landscapes. Who shoots jpegs, wedding and sports photogs, snap shooters. They can't use it either due to movement. I hope this really is not the case because a great idea would be meaningless to many.

04-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm curious how the pixel stacking will work as well. I was expecting the K-3 to have a new image processor with a lot more processing power. I don't see how it can handle 4 14-bit RAW files and merge them into 1 single 14-bit RAW file with the old processor unless it is really slow or it is outputting an 8-bit JPEG.
The math is trivial. For the unduplicated channels (red and blue) you just need to copy the readout values into a file having a different format -- instead of one 14-bit value per pixel you'll have three. For the doubled-up green pixels, AFAIK raw files are linear, so it's just a straight average (add and divide by two) to reduce the noise. So as long as the memory bandwidth is there it's easy and it should be very fast. The limiting factor will be the camera's ability to execute four exposures.
04-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
the pixelshift pics look almost too sharp
There is no such thing. I routinely use the term "needle sharp" because so many people seem to be almost addicted on sharpness, and they have to sharpen everything even if the image has all the sharpness that existed in the original object.
04-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There is no such thing. I routinely use the term "needle sharp" because so many people seem to be almost addicted on sharpness, and they have to sharpen everything even if the image has all the sharpness that existed in the original object.
I agree completely can't be too sharp as long as it's "real" sharpness "real" detail. If someone wants to, it is easy to soften a pic to any degree you want. I also agree that many over- sharpen "process" their pics as many over- saturate. Usually that goes away with experience.

04-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
I think the price really was the last missing, secret feature Many people were expecting a higher price.
I believe Pentax did the right thing this time. Having a higher price, which everybody knew would drop soon does not help the manufacturer. Cuz by the time your price was more attempting, there were newer things on horizon...

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2015 at 10:01 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skyclad666 Quote
Yes, good question. I guess it is only useable for static objects, with a tripod. If the K3 exceeds 8 fps, I suppose shifting the sensor can be quasi-instantaneous, so probably a picture like this could be taken in less than 1s. If the mirror is left up during the exposition of the four shifted shots. Only tests will show, probably...
However, it is good to see Pentax experimenting novelties and taking advantage of their proprietary expertise.
I don't know the design, but if it was me I would make a single shot with the exposure time x4 and divide the data to 4 parts. Then I'd have 4 images do deal with. In this case it would be much less than 1s.

Last edited by farhagh; 04-23-2015 at 08:00 AM.
04-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #99
Veteran Member

K3ii: People are *****ing about this camera...?

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
17 pictures one can download in full resolution. This is from the French official website; I presume you can find them on the other sites too.

PENTAX K-3 II - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
OMG...

Mind boggling...bye bye Canikosonolypus....

And BTW, if you go to the website listed first above, you can ZOOM IN on that and see the level of detail, which is simply staggering.

For $200.00 LESS than the old camera...

Pentax is the next Apple of photography. I'd be buying their stock right now if I had any money.

Well done, Pentax.

Cheers,
Cameron
04-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
OMG...

And BTW, if you go to the website listed first above, you can ZOOM IN on that and see the level of detail, which is simply staggering.

Pentax is the next Apple of photography. I'd be buying their stock right now if I had any money.

Well done, Pentax.

Cheers,
Cameron
Indeed, there are two pictures taking advantage of the multi-shot feature among the seventeen.

(click to enlarge)

smc Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR - 1/4s f/11 ISO100

smc Pentax-DA★ 55mm f/1.4 SDM - 1/200s f/8 ISO100

04-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #101

OMG...Mind boggling...bye bye Canikosonolypus....
What I find truly fascinating is Ricoh/Pentax achieved better IQ by improving quality on the pixel level, not by using brute force like Canon with their useless 50MP sensor. RGB pixel stacking improves efficiency instead bringing more firepower. In other words; lens resolution is not a bottleneck, because we achieve superior resolution and color reproduction by putting the 67% of the light to good use that would have been wasted at the color filter otherwise, so by utilizing the SR mechanics we both increase the resolving power of the sensor and lens. Or should I say not decrease (by having a color filter)?
04-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OMG...

Well done, Pentax.

Cheers,
Cameron
I believe that's shot with the DA* 55 f1.4 (not a $200 lens), but I see your point
04-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
smc Pentax-DA★ 55mm f/1.4 SDM - 1/200s f/8 ISO100
What makes you think that this one is pixel-shifted?
04-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
What makes you think that this one is pixel-shifted?
It's written on the Japanese website (but not all websites)
04-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #105
Veteran Member

OMG...

Well done, Pentax.

Cheers,
Cameron
Quite interesting. With the pixel shifting turned on, still produces a 24 mpix file, similar as K3. i Would have expected a 48 to 96 mpix file but aparently, this is not the case.

I also noted that in the sample pictures at that website, there are three specific pictures that show that the camera was handheld, or at least, the pictured subjects were moving or not completely still (as in a landscape). The elephants, the tiger and the girl. Dunno if those three pics were shot using pixel shifting high res, but if that's the case, then we have our answer as to how still means "still subjects with camera on tripod" needed for high res pixel shift.

But anyway, even without this feature, the K3 (K3ii) has damm sharp sensor and with proper quality glass... it becomes "surgical".