Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #121

If the K3II can read out full sensor electronically, then why is it only available during pixel shift? No noise, no vibration. Sounds practical in many situations. Or am I missing something?

04-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #122

Ok that is truly amazing. This is a much bigger improvement then the k5-k5IIs. Pixel quality is the biggest issue facing digital at the moment (imo). This is the kind of insane detail I love my 6x7 w panf50 for!
04-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I wonder if Ricoh acquired Pentax because they believed that marrying Ricoh's technology (e.g., pixel-shifting) with Pentax's could result in cameras that could provide serious competition for the other big camera makers. Was that Ricoh's plan?
I don't think Ricoh ever had IBIS prior to buying Pentax?

This is probably the result of applying Ricoh's engineering depth to the Pentax brand.
04-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #124

Just thinking. What if they do the same with the 645Z...........

04-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How fast can IMX193 capture a 'frame' if the mirror stays up and the curtains don't move?
8.7fps, it's a sensor readout speed, so it can't go any further than that, no matter what electronics/mechanics they put around.
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
You probably don't want vibrations from the shutter so I guess it will be slower except if it's the electronic shutter, then ...
I believe it has to be the electronic shutter... But I'm not sure of course...

---------- Post added 04-23-2015 at 12:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Just thinking. What if they do the same with the 645Z...........
They won't - its sensor does not move. Hasselblads do it for years so they would not be first anyway...

Last edited by jaad75; 04-23-2015 at 10:35 AM.
04-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #126
Veteran Member

The sensor shift thing looks kind of neat but i dont really know why pentax is limiting it to use with a tripod. Unless you are a professional lanscape shooter, most of your shots are still going to be taken hand held. Honestly, i think the one thing that is holding pentax back is that their camera still carry a dated feel to them. They seem very intent on creating innovative tech which is good but they havent delivered on the basics. The camera's menu system still looks somewhat dated for 2015 and in spite of things, like this news sensor shift technology they dont really have all the latest tech. Like, where is the pentax with a flip out touch screen? Built in wi fi? NFC? True, they had the flu cards (might want to do something about the name pentax) which is good but they ate up one of your card slots and isnt the whole point of having two card slots to you know, have two card slots that you can use? Just my 2 cents. Honestly, im pretty curious to see what the new full frame will be like.

If pentax really improved their video i think that would help too. It was widely reported that their stabilization doesnt work well with video and thats a game killer imho. It's not enough to be a good stills camera these days. You need be able to do both reasonably well. I wonder if they will fix this with the m3
04-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
8.7fps, it's a sensor readout speed, so it can't go any further than that, no matter what electronics/mechanics they put around.
I believe it has to be the electronic shutter... But I'm not sure of course...

---------- Post added 04-23-2015 at 12:32 PM ----------

They won't - its sensor does not move. Hasselblads do it for years so they would not be first anyway...
"During shooting, an electronic shutter is used so camera shake can be minimized."
Feature 1? PENTAX K-3 II | RICOH IMAGING

04-23-2015, 11:09 AM - 2 Likes   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The word alternative in the last sentence is the key word in the quote. Many want to buy a Canon or Nikon with Pentax on the prism. Pentax wants - needs - to be something a little different.
As someone that has traveled around a lot of camera brands, I can definitely say that none satisfy every different photographer. You have to pick your poison...or have enough money to buy into multiple systems. It really is as simple as that...all have their holes.

I personally like this camera and think it is a real winner, ESPECIALLY at this price.
The 7DmkII is a great camera too, but it is way out of bed cost wise. I think Canon is taking advantage of the fact that they have the most built in users with long glass and can charge an arm and a leg because the alternative is selling off their big whites and investing in an entire new ecosystem.

But the fact that they are selling so well shows that there is a big market for this type of camera, and Ricoh is doing good filling that void
If Pentax's 150-450 is in the same league as Canon's 100-400 mk II (one of the most universally loved lenses out right now), then Pentax will really put some heat on Canikon.
04-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
The sensor shift thing looks kind of neat but i dont really know why pentax is limiting it to use with a tripod. Unless you are a professional lanscape shooter, most of your shots are still going to be taken hand held. Honestly, i think the one thing that is holding pentax back is that their camera still carry a dated feel to them. They seem very intent on creating innovative tech which is good but they havent delivered on the basics. The camera's menu system still looks somewhat dated for 2015 and in spite of things, like this news sensor shift technology they dont really have all the latest tech. Like, where is the pentax with a flip out touch screen? Built in wi fi? NFC? True, they had the flu cards (might want to do something about the name pentax) which is good but they ate up one of your card slots and isnt the whole point of having two card slots to you know, have two card slots that you can use? Just my 2 cents. Honestly, im pretty curious to see what the new full frame will be like.

If pentax really improved their video i think that would help too. It was widely reported that their stabilization doesnt work well with video and thats a game killer imho. It's not enough to be a good stills camera these days. You need be able to do both reasonably well. I wonder if they will fix this with the m3
The "dated feel" you dislike is a valuable asset to some of us. Having started with film some 60 years ago, I can use the K3 UI mostly intuitively while taking time to explore the new still-photographic features. To me, a flip out touch screen, built in wi fi, and NFC (all of which I have in other devices) are useful, but they're not photographic "basics".
04-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #130
Veteran Member

The sensor shift thing looks kind of neat but i dont really know why pentax is limiting it to use with a tripod. Unless you are a professional lanscape shooter, most of your shots are still going to be taken hand held.
Just think about it - if overall 4 frame exposure can't be shorter than 1/2 s, then you need to move the sensor precisely by one pixel and that sensor pixel pitch less than 4 microns...
the whole point of having two card slots to you know, have two card slots that you can use? Just my 2 cents.
But you can use the FluCard just like every other card - to save pictures...
04-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I don't think Ricoh ever had IBIS prior to buying Pentax?

This is probably the result of applying Ricoh's engineering depth to the Pentax brand.
I guess I am mixing up Ricoh's Clarity Enhancement with Pixel-Shifting. Ricoh developed Clarity Enhancement independently of Pentax (perhaps for their photocopiers?).
04-23-2015, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
"During shooting, an electronic shutter is used so camera shake can be minimized."
Feature 1? PENTAX K-3 II | RICOH IMAGING
so why not use electronic shutter in live view? Why does it need the flap the mirror en actuate the shutter.
04-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #133
Veteran Member

To me this is funny how many are impressed and for me even tricked by a non event. There no new real feature. Optionnal GPS is now bundled. Bundled flash is now optionnal while it could have been enhanced to be able to bounce and handle fast sync.

Ok the SR is a bit improved, not sure it will be really visible. Then it is a bit of software tricks... Tweaked AF and super resolution... That work only with dedicated Pentax software not Lightroom or DxO require a tripod and perfectly still subjects. Everybody can sticks a pano and get 100MP pictures even without a tripod even with a K20D...

I understand that the II don't bring much like the K5-II only bring in its time more AF sensitivity in low light but really... I wound have at least one or 2 more gimmick like wifi then so everybody can control their camera from their phone and a way to keep the flash and the GPS. If you can enter 3G, a 4" screen, a fast processor and GPS in an old iphone 4, you should be able to add the GPS only in K3 body without removing the flash.

This is disapointing for me. It is not worth the added money compared to current K3.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-23-2015 at 11:41 AM.
04-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Why does it need the flap the mirror en actuate the shutter.
It doesn't "flap the mirror", unless you set it to use the PDAF in live view. With CDAF/MF it just uses the mechanical shutter for regular exposures - the mirror stays up all the time.
04-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #135
Veteran Member

- the sensor shift thing is mostly for studio use, so tripod make sense;
- Pentax/Ricoh camera menu often received praise from other brand user and first time user, I wouldn't want them to change a thing here. I would like to see some of the highly customizable menu in GR transfer to K series camera though;
- w/ flip screen they would have to change the whole chassis, which will render the need for new handgrip, as a "transitional model", it is not worth the trouble;
- agree with the wifi thing, build in wifi probably will eat some battery life, but that's the trend, everyone has it;
- video is never a strong point of Pentax, I hope they continue improve in this department as well.