Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 11:38 PM   #361
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The camera isn't even out yet.. how can you be 100% sure?
Not 100% sure, of course. Just a guesstimate based on eye-balling some of the diagrams released on the Pentax site, which show the metal chassis and WR sealing of the new camera. Not as useful as a camera cutaway, but close

In looking at the released drawings of the K-3 II WR sealing, it looks like Ricoh didn't have much trouble 'minifying' the O-GPS unit to fit into the space occupied by the former flash head under the roof of the camera.

Plus since the on-board flash area sits entirely outside of the metal chassis of the camera, it's clear that they could have (for example) made the 'hump' up top of the K-3 II a little higher and easily accommodated both the GPS and OBF in the camera, without requiring any modification to the camera metalware at all, just changing the plastic 'roofline' of the camera.

Maybe that's why the Pentax FF mockup has such a pronouced hump on top of the pentaprism too - Ricoh modelled a GPS and a popup flash co-existing up there

04-28-2015, 12:21 AM   #362
Pentaxian

It's all nice and easy, if you don't have to do it But since they didn't do it, shouldn't we assume it isn't as easy as "just changing the plastic 'roofline' of the camera"?
04-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's all nice and easy, if you don't have to do it But since they didn't do it, shouldn't we assume it isn't as easy as "just changing the plastic 'roofline' of the camera"?
We don't know why they didn't do it. For me they take the choice/risk to say, "what happen if we remove the OBF ?" and they are going to figure out soon what happen in practice.

The rest is pure details as for sure it was possible and was mostly a problem of either cost or not adding the astrotracer if the flash was seen as too important.

We will see how it goes.
04-28-2015, 01:08 AM - 3 Likes   #364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't believe this hand-wringing is still going on. People can buy the K3 basic or K-S2 and get on with their photography and life.

04-28-2015, 02:15 AM   #365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
I can't believe this hand-wringing is still going on.
You've been here long enough.
You know what we are like.
04-28-2015, 02:23 AM   #366
Pentaxian

I can't believe this hand-wringing is still going on. People can buy the K3 basic or K-S2 and get on with their photography and life.
Or even the K-S1 ........runs
04-28-2015, 02:45 AM - 2 Likes   #367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is odd to me. I hear people saying that they can't live without the pop up flash (who knew?), that the pixel shift technology isn't really useful, that the SR improvement is probably advertising-speak and is over stated, and that the GPS/Astro tracer isn't particularly useful.

But you know what? If you are thinking those things, then this camera isn't for you! End of story.

In the end, Pentax made it the way they did because of whatever internal reasons they had and no amount of forumites arguing about those possible reasons is going to bring it back (or really figure out why it is gone). It is gone on the K3 II. Maybe when there is a more major upgrade to the K3 they'll bring it back, but honestly they don't have to. There are plenty of cameras without a pop up flash on the market and most of them sell pretty decently.

04-28-2015, 03:02 AM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You've been here long enough.
You know what we are like.
True
04-28-2015, 03:04 AM   #369

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But you know what? If you are thinking those things, then this camera isn't for you! End of story.
NFMsNFA (Not For Me so Not For Anyone) mindset.

It amazes me how some people say Ricoh has the right to innovate and then turn around and are the loudest critics when Ricoh does try something new.
04-28-2015, 03:05 AM   #370
Pentaxian

Though at times it's an edge to have the pop up flash for emergencies, I still believe this is a good camera and that it will perform very well what it's suppose to do.
04-28-2015, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #371
Veteran Member

I have worked as a pro for almost 6 years. I have never once had use for the flash. But some might needed it, others not. If a camera doesn't have what you need, get another one. Just stop stupid arguments. The flash won't come back on the Mark II no mather how much you want it or cry for it. They make cameras to please as many as they can, they dont make cameras just to please YOU! This discussion has made me take out my popcorn. But I'm close to go from eating the popcorn, to start trowing it at some people. World is not fair, get used to it!

And if i piss someone of now, i really couldn't care less
04-28-2015, 03:28 AM   #372
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I have worked as a pro for almost 6 years. I have never once had use for the flash. But some might needed it, others not. If a camera doesn't have what you need, get another one. Just stop stupid arguments. The flash won't come back on the Mark II no mather how much you want it or cry for it. They make cameras to please as many as they can, they dont make cameras just to please YOU! This discussion has made me take out my popcorn. But I'm close to go from eating the popcorn, to start trowing it at some people. World is not fair, get used to it!

Tuesdays are a bitch. Aren't they?
04-28-2015, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Tuesdays are a bitch. Aren't they?
Yeah..them too
04-28-2015, 04:18 AM   #374
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote

Kenspro, here's a question for you.... Do you own the Pentax GPS unit and, if you do, how often is it on your camera?
04-28-2015, 04:23 AM   #375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Kenspro, here's a question for you.... Do you own the Pentax GPS unit and, if you do, how often is it on your camera?
Nah..I often shoot in the studio or at arenas. I know where those places are I care just as little about the gps..Think you missed my point. If you want the flash, buy the K-3. If you dont, and want GPS build in, buy the Mark II. People can nag as much as they want for one thing or another, it won't be changed on anyway.