Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #421
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My take-home lesson from that series is that much of the resistance to removal of the OBF is that a number of loyal Pentax users are very much attached to the process of taking a flash picture using the OBF as master and at least one larger flash as slave under P-TTL control
I think a fair number also objected to the removal "just because". No one likes to see a feature taken away even if it is used so infrequently as to be almost forgotten.

For example I never use the radio in the car. Personally cannot stand having that noise on while I am driving. But would I buy a car without a radio? Nope. Not object if someone yanked it out? Nope. It is a feature that I am accustomed to and would feel cheated if it was not present. Even though the last time I used it was years ago.

I think the OBF is the same for many. They rarely if ever actually use it, but justifiably are concerned that if they need it and its not there they will be stuck.

Those that used it as a flash controller have other concerns and at this time I do not see an answer for them. Ricoh has not provided a controller that is small and always present like the OBF.

04-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #422
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edit .... wrong post, sorry.

Last edited by jpzk; 04-28-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: wrong post thread
04-28-2015, 10:42 PM   #423
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Wrong. With K3-II you do not need to carry the external GPS unit which saves on weight. I haven't used a traditional tripod in a while, instead I use a Gorillapod, one of their sturdier models. Like this one, doesn't weigh more than a fraction of a traditional tripod: JOBY GorillaPod SLR-Zoom - Portable, flexible tripod for telephoto lens cameras So, you see, it really is a pack light camera and can still utilize the pixel shift feature without any problems. The Gorillapod actually adds a great deal of flexibility as you can firmly attach it to a tree branch, wrap around a suitable rock outcrop, wedge it in crevices etc...

The following is not directed specifically at you, Nicolas, it is a general rant.

I can't believe how people can't think out of the traditional box with anything: "If it's a tripod-only feature, it must use one of those traditional behemoth tripods". "The pop-up flash MUST be there, otherwise it's not a real camera. I do not care that Pentax has actually enabled the simultaneous use of a flash and a GPS unit"

And then we have some here craving for more creativity from Pentax/Ricoh. I think some of us need to find a little creativity in ourselves first. Embracing the thought "think outside the box" is a nice place to start.
The gorilla has the advantage to attach to poles or others things like that. The drawback overall is there is no pole/tree whatever that match the framing and direction you want, you are limited of a view a few centimeters above the ground or the thing your gorilla pod sit on.

It is light but it as limited in what it can do as say... the on board flash is compared to an external flash

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-28-2015 at 10:47 PM.
04-28-2015, 10:58 PM   #424
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If it were not for those users, having the OBF omitted from the K-3ii would have been a minor issue instead of the major one it became, and trying to explore all the implications of this discovery combined with my own needs to motivate many of the questions I've asked these past few days.
Yeah but it always depend. For me removing the GPS and astro tracer on the next model would be really a mlnor issue... If that was not theses guys that don't accept to buy the dedicated astrotracer if they want it

What we don't need/use seems sometime totally unecessary and we don't even understand what all the fuss is about. In the current state of affairs, if my K3 break, I will buy another K3, not a K3-II. Cheaper and better for me. I know that even throug i tend to crop the actual K3 picture quality is enough and it work handled. I don't give a shit to astrotracer and don't see the reason to pay more for it. The shame would be to loose the minor improvements on SR and AF but that more than countered by difference in price and lack of OBF.

Many have their argument to say the K3-II is a very clear advance and a differentiated product toward Canikon. So see, everybody has it own appreciation of the thing !

04-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The gorilla has the advantage to attach to poles or others things like that. The drawback overall is there is no pole/tree whatever that match the framing and direction you want, you are limited of a view a few centimeters above the ground or the thing your gorilla pod sit on.

It is light but it as limited in what it can do as say... the on board flash is compared to an external flash
Sure, the Gorilla has it's limitations. If you are in front of a wonderful view but in the the middle of high grass with no trees or structures to attach the Gorillapod onto, you're out of luck with the pixel shift feature. However, you can still get a very good handheld shot with ample DOF and low ISO by utilizing the 4,5 stop shake reduction And the GPS will record the exact coordinates of that site should you want to return with a tripod later

In general, I think the Gorillapod's benefits far outweigh the negatives, especially in a pack light situation. When I am in the field, there is usually a lot of other (research) equipment to carry, so a traditional tripod is absolutely out of the question, unless the location is very close to the road. Same thing with trekking and longer hikes or even general business or other travel.
04-28-2015, 11:41 PM   #426
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not convinced that super resolution will workfine with landscapes : because of the wind, leaves, grass... will move during the shots
04-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #427
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I'm not convinced that super resolution will workfine with landscapes : because of the wind, leaves, grass... will move during the shots
I do not think that it will be any more difficult to use than any longish exposure (around half a second, I suppose). Maybe it depends on the foreground in windy conditions, not so much on what is farther away.

04-29-2015, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #428
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You may want to try Cactus V6 triggers some time because they would allow you to manually remote control the power levels of your flashes.
Thank you. Will check them out!
04-29-2015, 02:47 AM   #429
Veteran Member

I don't see the point of having GPS built into the camera (except possibly for astro tracking). Just about every mobile phone has assisted GPS and can share the location data over Bluetooth with any other BT device. Built-in Bluetooth would have been a better option - not fast enough to shuffle RAW files over but perfect for GPS, remote setting etc. And they could have kept the flash ...
04-29-2015, 03:02 AM   #430
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
I don't see the point of having GPS built into the camera (except possibly for astro tracking). Just about every mobile phone has assisted GPS and can share the location data over Bluetooth with any other BT device. Built-in Bluetooth would have been a better option - not fast enough to shuffle RAW files over but perfect for GPS, remote setting etc. And they could have kept the flash ...
The point being you do not need an external device for it and your phone will not supply correct orientation information.
04-29-2015, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #431
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great article summarising the milestones and achievements of Pentax until the K-3 II:
The New Superhero That Could: The Pentax K-3 II, How Nikon and Canon Are Lagging Behind, and Why It Doesn't Matter

Way to go Pentax, onwards and upwards against the odds.
04-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #432
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have been saying for years Ricoh should be putting their cameras in the case at Cabella's, Field & Stream and Bass Pro Shops. The K-3II is ideal for that market.
That sounds like a plan. Throw in stores like REI too. And then do a little marketing in outdoor publications.
04-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #433
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Throw in stores like REI too. And then do a little marketing in outdoor publications.
Yep, probably a few other places to add to the list but REI is definitely one. And since they have the sports optics division maybe they can get binoculars & spotting scopes back in as well. I'm thinking a glass case with WG cameras, k-3II, binoculars & scopes.
04-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #434
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Sure, the Gorilla has it's limitations. If you are in front of a wonderful view but in the the middle of high grass with no trees or structures to attach the Gorillapod onto, you're out of luck with the pixel shift feature. However, you can still get a very good handheld shot with ample DOF and low ISO by utilizing the 4,5 stop shake reduction And the GPS will record the exact coordinates of that site should you want to return with a tripod later

In general, I think the Gorillapod's benefits far outweigh the negatives, especially in a pack light situation. When I am in the field, there is usually a lot of other (research) equipment to carry, so a traditional tripod is absolutely out of the question, unless the location is very close to the road. Same thing with trekking and longer hikes or even general business or other travel.
I can understand the GPS need even throug actually I don't care but I have a friend that would be interrested. I don't care because I know were the photo were taken because well... I was there to begin with. If I want to know where I was really, the out of 10000 shoot I might need it, I can ask the phone to keep it.

As for the DOF/low iso argument I find it funny. Either I'am after a night scene really and I take the tripod. I choose one that is much heavy that your gorilla pod but still light/small an in carbon so that's not that bad. Or 99.9% of the time I don't want a night landscape but more a day light or sunset/sunrise shoot. My experience show me that something that give you even one stop is only arround a few small minutes at sunset or sunrize. The most expensive gear doesn't replace being there at the right time.

On many other occasion I might need to work in low light like for event, pubs, a walk in the city at night. The solution doesn't really go with better SR or whatever form of tripod because there most often moving subjects. I will work simply use the DA21 f/3.2, DA35 f/2.4 or FA77 f/1.8 depending of the framing I'am after or even DA15 f/4. It works. An illustration of this:

I dediced to add the polariser to help reduce the reflexions. You can see the slow speed worked with current SR (after all 1/5 is only 2EV, 3.5 EV of K3 should allow for 1/2) but all the moving objects are somewhat blured. Here it works because it allow to concentrate on the subject.

DA15, f/4, 1/5, 6400 isos, polariser:

But without polarizer you can also take great shoot with not that much light. Some did ask if I used a tripod... No!

DA35, f/2.4, iso 1250, 1/50s

04-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #435
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I think Canon kept the hump because they kept the pentaprism. Sure, your example is a good one but a 5D's market is quite far from Pentax's market. It's the standard for wedding photographers and events in general.
This just in: the new standard for wedding photography is MF ( such trend coming straight from China)