Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #481

Photos: Albums
I'm curious about whether there will have been any other improvements with regard to the sensor. Initial rumours suggested it would get a new sensor, but the release specs seem to suggest it's exactly the same. I'm currently on a K5, but I would potentially be interested in upgrading. Astrotracer, GPS, Sensorshift and improved autofocus sound really nice, but a better sensor would be the real killer. The only drawback is the reduced battery life time...

On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with my K5 just now. It's only the autofocus that annoys me from time to time, but the gap between K5 and K5ii-s isn't worth the extra hassle and money.

05-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #482
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
I'm curious about whether there will have been any other improvements with regard to the sensor. Initial rumours suggested it would get a new sensor, but the release specs seem to suggest it's exactly the same. I'm currently on a K5, but I would potentially be interested in upgrading. Astrotracer, GPS, Sensorshift and improved autofocus sound really nice, but a better sensor would be the real killer. The only drawback is the reduced battery life time...

On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with my K5 just now. It's only the autofocus that annoys me from time to time, but the gap between K5 and K5ii-s isn't worth the extra hassle and money.
It looks to be the same sensor. Sony lists their sensors on their website and going by the specs, it doesn't appear that the new 24MP ASP-C is what is in the K-3II.

Same image processor.
Same sensor.
Same AF hardware.

With used K-3's going for $700, I would probably go that route unless you specifically need GPS or the astrotracer.
05-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #483

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
With used K-3's going for $700, I would probably go that route unless you specifically need GPS or the astrotracer.
A brand new K-3 can be had for just over $700:

Amazon.com : Pentax K-3 SLR Camera - Body Only : Slr Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo
05-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #484
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Same image processor.
Same sensor.
Same AF hardware.
Everything around the image processor and sensor is the same, but tweaked better then last time (not only FW).
Not quite the same AF hardware. Small changes has been done.

05-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #485
mee
Veteran Member

It does a stop better SR over K-3 classic right?
05-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #486
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It does a stop better SR over K-3 classic right?

-4.5 stops vs -3 stops...
05-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #487
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
-4.5 stops vs -3 stops...
Well then.. clearly this isn't just the K-3 sans flash and with gps/astrotracer hehe

05-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #488
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well maybe the new APS-C flagship comes in a few months as rumored..that would piss off alot who get the K3II..I really wonder if Ricoh would stoop so low??!!
05-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #489
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Well maybe the new APS-C flagship comes in a few months as rumored..that would piss off alot who get the K3II..I really wonder if Ricoh would stoop so low??!!
It would likely be at quite a higher price point.
05-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #490
mee
Veteran Member

Who started that rumor?
05-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #491
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It would likely be at quite a higher price point.
I'm very confused about Pentax pricing; I don't see how current prices for K-3ii, K-3, K-S2, K-S1, K-50 make any sense, when you compare the capabilities of these various cameras, so I would be very unwilling to guess what level a new "flagship" APS-C would be priced at.
05-07-2015, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #492
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm very confused about Pentax pricing; I don't see how current prices for K-3ii, K-3, K-S2, K-S1, K-50 make any sense, when you compare the capabilities of these various cameras, so I would be very unwilling to guess what level a new "flagship" APS-C would be priced at.
I doubt Ricoh would steal thunder from the digital FF release anyways by also releasing a new APS-C flagship so close to the FF release..

I suspect some are guessing based on the K-5 to K-5II movement which, it seems, was largely based on Ricoh having to get SOMETHING out of the door to stay 'fresh.' But, in this case, the K-3II will still be fresh when the digital FF body is released. I'd love to be proven wrong though.. because this means the K-3 would likely push down to 500 dollar pricing, K-3II down to 750ish pricing to make way for the new flagship APS-C.

Financially, it doesn't seem logical for Ricoh to do this when they also want to get people to 'upgrade' to the FF since even they, in one of their interviews, admitted there isn't a lot of movement from manufacturer to other manufacturer these days. To make this work they will have to get enough current Pentax APS-C and film shooters interested in the digi FF. You don't do that by releasing an even better APS-C body so soon !
05-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #493

Who started that rumor?
There was a thread earlier that the salesman at a camera store told the poster to wait on his purchase because a new flagship was on the way. Maybe the K3ii is what he meant though.
05-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think there will be many long lens shooters abandoning APSC format. Why go wider?
05-08-2015, 12:10 AM   #495
Veteran Member

Who started that rumor?
Would i like to know too