Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #556

Photos: Gallery
is there any info on dynamic range/noise of the new sensor? As good as the K5 or better/worse? The sensor performance of the original K3 kept me from buying the K3

05-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
is there any info on dynamic range/noise of the new sensor? As good as the K5 or better/worse? The sensor performance of the original K3 kept me from buying the K3
It is the same sensor as the K-3. Reportedly there have been some tweaks to the peripheral imaging components, in addition to the new IBIS assembly and changes to the autofocus hardware and software.
05-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
IIS not II. Are the evident advantages there is what I am saying.

what diff between K5Ii & K5IIs--only AA filter removed,same AF etc...

---------- Post added 05-09-15 at 01:42 PM ----------

Since I use Sigma 150-500 HSM, I suppose it would perform in a different way (better or worse) than the SDM types in relation to AF demands?
what diff between K5Ii & K5IIs--only AA filter removed,same AF etc...

---------- Post added 05-10-15 at 12:00 AM ----------

Why?? I have K5II as well,and think the added MP of K3(ii) will help alot for birds
05-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #559

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote

Why?? I have K5II as well,and think the added MP of K3(ii) will help alot for birds
hm, maybe I am wrong, but what I have read so far is that when it comes to image quality (dynamic range, noise and NOT resolution because 16MP is enough for me) the K3 is actually a (little and almost unnotable) step back compared to the K5. In addition I am irritated and wondering why the nikon d7200 gets quite better remarks on dxomark compared to the k3.

05-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #560

Autofocus points

I have a K-5 which has 11 AF points. I see the K-3ii has 27 AF points, which should be a big improvement. For lenses I have a Sigma 17-50 2.8EX, Pentax 60-250 4.0 DA*, and Pentax 50-135 2.8 DA*. I was going to wait until a completely new model of camera came out but I don't want to wait another year. Any thoughts on taking the plunge or waiting to see if Ricoh comes out with a camera sooner? I'm not interested in the FF. My sister has a Canon 7D Mark II which is similar in specs to the K-3ii except that it has 65 AF points. How come Pentax doesn't have more AF points at this stage? I think the K-3ii would be a good Mother's Day present to myself. Too bad it's not out yet.
05-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I have a K-5 which has 11 AF points. I see the K-3ii has 27 AF points, which should be a big improvement. For lenses I have a Sigma 17-50 2.8EX, Pentax 60-250 4.0 DA*, and Pentax 50-135 2.8 DA*. I was going to wait until a completely new model of camera came out but I don't want to wait another year. Any thoughts on taking the plunge or waiting to see if Ricoh comes out with a camera sooner? I'm not interested in the FF. My sister has a Canon 7D Mark II which is similar in specs to the K-3ii except that it has 65 AF points. How come Pentax doesn't have more AF points at this stage?
I suspect the k-3II is the APS-C flagship for some time. At least until 2016 anyway. That is just a guess but I see no reason for RIcoh to bring out a k-3II and then replace it in anything less.

Curious but what's the deal with AF points? I only ever use the center point. Tried the multi thing once and the camera focused on what it wanted, rather than what I wanted. When are all the AF points of any practical use? Not picking a fight, really curious as to why so many people seem to think more AF points is better.
05-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
really curious as to why so many people seem to think more AF points is better.
selecting individual focus points can be very useful.

05-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a choice between compose, choose the auto focus point and shoot - or focus on the subject point, recompose and shoot. Focus and recompose is easier, of course, with back-button focusing so one needn't hold the shutter button at half-press.

I've never bothered to change from focus and recompose. I effectively use one focus point. the additional 26 (or 64) are superfluous.
05-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #564
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's one FF. One. Just like Pentax announced this spring.
What would be the point in launching 2 cameras before having the lenses, anyway?
Well it was just a guess. As Kenspo said below it's a GR.

I hope the K-3II would have a faster auto focus on the older lenses. I'm looking forward to getting one in the future.
05-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
selecting individual focus points can be very useful.
Good point. Thanks. But when doing that is there any practical need for 11, 27, or 200? I guess it depends on how tightly you are focusing and how much DOF.
05-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #566
Veteran Member

Good point. Thanks. But when doing that is there any practical need for 11, 27, or 200? I guess it depends on how tightly you are focusing and how much DOF.
I would think on AFC for tracking the more points the better,1 point is hard to track with for me,as focus hunts alot if I loose the BIF against a background
The 7Dii is very fast so all the extra points must help??

---------- Post added 05-10-15 at 03:49 AM ----------

hm, maybe I am wrong, but what I have read so far is that when it comes to image quality (dynamic range, noise and NOT resolution because 16MP is enough for me) the K3 is actually a (little and almost unnotable) step back compared to the K5. In addition I am irritated and wondering why the nikon d7200 gets quite better remarks on dxomark compared to the k3.
I think the added MP help,as don't need to crop so much( birds mostly) and I normally use 400-1000 ISO so DR maybe is the same?? (I know the K5II is better at base ISO).
In any case the K3II is needed to get the most out if the 150-450,so not much choice
05-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

is there any practical need for 11, 27
maybe i could manual focus anywhere, but with AF and 27 points it can be useful, choosing individually what focus points one needs, saves from potential focus recompose errors, just how it works best for me when i can choose my focus points. We are all different not one way suits everyone.
05-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #568

Thanks for the input to help with my decision making. From the replies it seems that all those auto focus points would really only be handy in continuous AF mode, which I do use but not extensively and doesn't necessarily determine how fast it autofocuses. Right? I've only ever had Pentax cameras (for over 30 years) and I don't ever plan on using anything else, but my sister in a die-hard Canon user. Her friends that also use Canon ask why I would ever use Pentax equipment. I guess I've always been happy with my cameras, I feel comfortable using them and they are much more reasonably priced. Oh yeah, and I like the pictures I take. I think I will upgrade to a K-3ii which seems to be quite a bit different than my K-5. Thanks again.
05-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #569
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
just how it works best for me when i can choose my focus points. We are all different not one way suits everyone.
Yes, of course. I was just trying to see if I am missing something. I rarely use AF-C for anything but I can see that might be an area where more points help, assuming the tracking functionality is designed to use that.

And I do use the select individual points function when on a tripod. I do not find I need any more points than the k-3 offers but I would like it if they extended out to the edges a bit more. For what I do having them clustered in the center generally makes them useless where if I could select one closer to the frame edge I would probably use that more.
05-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes if they were spread out a bit would help, but i make do with it.