Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #616
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
De 6D has a feature Pentax can never match. It says Canon on top...

05-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #617
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is funny because the 6D goes against the whole idea that people want sensors that perform best on DXO Mark tests, combined with features like large number of auto focus points. By all accounts, Canon shouldn't sell a single camera, but somehow they do and do really well.

But maybe it has more to do with glass...
05-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It costs $1,400

The Canon EOS 6D is a full-frame 20.2MP DSLR offering exceptionally high image quality and detail while providing compatibility and convenience through its design and features. When paired with the powerful DIGIC 5+ image processor and 14-bit A/D conversion, the full-frame sensor is capable of recording vivid imagery with expanded sensitivity up to ISO 102400. The processing power also affords intelligent noise reduction techniques and the ability to record continuous still images at a rate up to 4.5 full resolution fps.

The 6D employs an 11-point autofocus system for acquiring precise focus regardless of the shooting situation, which is further enhanced bya center cross-type focus point for improved low-light focus sensitivity. The iFCL also benefits from the autofocus system when making exposure measurements, and analyzes color and luminance values within the scene to determine accurate exposure settings.

Full HD video recording is possible up to 1080/30p in the All I-frame or IPB compression, as well as the standard H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec. When recording HD video, full manual control over exposure and sound is possible, enabling you to take complete control over the final appearance of your movies.

Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS technologies also provide extensive connectivity to the 6D. The built-in Wi-Fi capability allows you to take remote control over the 6D when used in conjunction with the Canon EOS Remote app (available for iOS and Android), as well as instantly share the images from your camera to your phone or to the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY. The GPS receiver will automatically record locational data and embed this information into the metadata of your images, allowing you to geotag your shots and map out where each shot was taken.

The 6D features a smaller form factor compared to other full-frame DSLRs, but still integrates a large 3.0" 1,040K-dot TFT LCD monitor for clear playback and review of your imagery. The construction of the body integrates an aluminum alloy and polycarbonate chassis within a magnesium and polycarbonate shell for durability while still maintaining a lightweight profile.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-11-2015 at 10:41 AM.
05-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #619
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is funny because the 6D goes against the whole idea that people want sensors that perform best on DXO Mark tests, combined with features like large number of auto focus points. By all accounts, Canon shouldn't sell a single camera, but somehow they do and do really well.

... and "popularity". There are Canon fans who believe that the DXO tests are biased against them by some (unexplained) mechanism. This is true loyalty. It is also connected to the fact that I'm currently looking for a well-priced K-50, because my Canon Rebel unexpectedly died last week (I had planned on replacing it Black Friday 2016, but I'm not sure I want to depend on my Q-7 as my "primary" camera for the next 18 months).

05-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #620
Veteran Member

I'am not sure it is even linked to the glass the 6D is just a low cost FF and appeal to thoses that want an FF but want to keep a reasonnable price. So that 6D or A7 or D600/D610.

And well Canon/Nikon have the argument that they are the only right brand for cameras so whatever other offer it simply doesn't matter: wrong brand.
05-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #621
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I'am not sure it is even linked to the glass the 6D is just a low cost FF and appeal to thoses that want an FF but want to keep a reasonnable price. So that 6D or A7 or D600/D610.

And well Canon/Nikon have the argument that they are the only right brand for cameras so whatever other offer it simply doesn't matter: wrong brand.
How much cheaper is the 6D than a A7 or D610 that you mentioned? Looks to me like A7 is right about 1000 dollars right now and the D610 is 100 dollars more (Amazon US prices). It just doesn't make a whole lot of sensor that anyone would particularly buy a 6D, unless they have a bunch of Canon L glass that they are pretty attached to.
05-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #622
Veteran Member

How much cheaper is the 6D than a A7 or D610 that you mentioned? Looks to me like A7 is right about 1000 dollars right now and the D610 is 100 dollars more (Amazon US prices). It just doesn't make a whole lot of sensor that anyone would particularly buy a 6D, unless they have a bunch of Canon L glass that they are pretty attached to.
True for the glass but Sony is Sony, not Canon or Nikon. So as brand power on camera Sony loose by far and can't count the same. This is also not a DSLR so a different market.

That let only D600 that had oil on sensor, D610 and the 6D. The 6D number are impressive because it didn't get any major issue and it should be compared to the sum of D600 + D610 with the respective market share of each brand in mind. In the end it might have sold just one could expect.

05-11-2015, 10:18 AM - 3 Likes   #623
Pentaxian

Not looking forward to the complaints about the price of the FF because it is not as cheap as a 6D/D610......
05-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

True for the glass but Sony is Sony, not Canon or Nikon. So as brand power on camera Sony loose by far and can't count the same. This is also not a DSLR so a different market.

That let only D600 that had oil on sensor, D610 and the 6D. The 6D number are impressive because it didn't get any major issue and it should be compared to the sum of D600 + D610 with the respective market share of each brand in mind. In the end it might have sold just one could expect.
I honestly think that people view the 6D and D610 as equivalent and buy based on what glass they already have. Things like auto focus points, frame rates, megapixels, and DXO Mark scores don't really sway people that much when they have knowledge and own decent glass.

I think these sorts of things sell cameras at the low end, where people want to know that their D5200 kills the K30 when it comes to megapixels and dynamic range or, whatever it is.
05-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #625
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I honestly think that people view the 6D and D610 as equivalent and buy based on what glass they already have. Things like auto focus points, frame rates, megapixels, and DXO Mark scores don't really sway people that much when they have knowledge and own decent glass.

I think these sorts of things sell cameras at the low end, where people want to know that their D5200 kills the K30 when it comes to megapixels and dynamic range or, whatever it is.
People who own Pentax lenses will buy the Pentax FF. We just have to hope people will buy the new Pentax lenses AND the FF.

What astonishes me is that people don't line up to buy the K-3 before they can even get them off the back of the truck.

It's going to take Ricoh a long time.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-11-2015 at 05:53 PM.
05-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #626
Veteran Member

Really depend who you are, I remember many guy switching from Pentax to Nikon due to AF performance. I remember one guy in particular he had K5, then K5-II because of the better AF... Then saw it was still significantly subpar compared to a D7100 and didn't want to to try the K3 that... is still worse than a D7100 even through it improved a lot. He brought the D7100 and it solved entirely its AF issues. He didn't have to buy the most expensive lenses neither.

It is not because you don't care of one feature and that I don't care much neither that it is useless and that nobody care or they just want it to compare it to K30... The base guy has no idea what a K30 is to begin with.

I suspect that for AF and tracking the latest pentax lenses with K3-II will not even match a sigma with a D7100/7200 not maybe in ultimate speed (moderately usefull) but in capacity to have the thing you want in focus really in focus on action/sport type of shootings.
05-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #627
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Canon 6D, with it's 'ancient' 11 AF points (and only one cross-type), has been a best seller for Canon ... Probably the best selling FF in the world at the moment.
Yeah but Canon don't need any specs, it is a Canon.
05-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #628

Thank God Sony is NOT Canon or Nikon,sales would PLUNGE if so.
05-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #629
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What astonsihes me is that people don't line up to buy the K-3 before they can even get them off the back of the truck.

It's going to take Ricoh a long time.
there is no cue. The gun metal K-3 is stil available overhere. Sales are very Low.
05-11-2015, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #630
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really depend who you are, I remember many guy switching from Pentax to Nikon due to AF performance. I remember one guy in particular he had K5, then K5-II because of the better AF... Then saw it was still significantly subpar compared to a D7100 and didn't want to to try the K3 that... is still worse than a D7100 even through it improved a lot. He brought the D7100 and it solved entirely its AF issues. He didn't have to buy the most expensive lenses neither.

It is not because you don't care of one feature and that I don't care much neither that it is useless and that nobody care or they just want it to compare it to K30... The base guy has no idea what a K30 is to begin with.
Which is precisely my point - they only read DXO or listen to salesmen. But the 'base guy' buys the vast bulk of the dSLR's made - the base of the pyramid - but you probably know that
I suspect that for AF and tracking the latest pentax lenses with K3-II will not even match a sigma with a D7100/7200 not maybe in ultimate speed (moderately usefull) but in capacity to have the thing you want in focus really in focus on action/sport type of shootings.
You have no basis to make that statement. In a few months there will have been enough new lenses and enough K-3II's tested in the wild by both biased and disinterested parties to begin to make qualified statements. Until then anything such as this is at best ill-advised speculation or at worst intentional spreading of FUD.

It is also a straw man argument, since Pentax makes no claims to be a sports/action camera brand. The claim is to be a field camera, with emerging attempts to break into the professional wedding space - but you probably know that.

These statements get indexed quite high on Google searches because of the clicks received on PF - as I suspect you fully understand.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-11-2015 at 01:29 PM.