Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 227 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2015, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #751
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Based on?
btw I'm not attempting to be rude or attack you.. However, I have observed many people respond in the same manner as your post and it either seems very clearly they are basing market shift, rumors, and/or telling society what society wants based on personal preference or they directly admit it outright. If this is not the case in your situation, please accept my apology and I'd be interested in knowing your documented research!

05-23-2015, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
As apparently it was not clear: A GPS device could have been put in the body keeping the OBF, while the whole astrotracer need more place and it took the place of the OBF. This really as nothing to do with GPS feature. Many camera have both GPS and OBF, even Smartphones do have flash and GPS.
You have some proof of this or are you just making up facts to support your agenda? Please show us where Ricoh states they had to remove the on board flash to fit the astrotracer in.
Don't try to think I need or want to change what you say for yourself like I would need you to speak for me
And yet you did, I do not understand what your point is, but I do not agree with you and resent you twisting my statements to further it. I said nothing about the astrotracer. I said I used the GPS, daily, and it is important to me. If it is not important to you that is fine. The GPS unit was being discussed, not the astrotracer. If you have a point to make please do so without misquoting me.
05-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #753
Pentaxian

Based on?
The fact that today there are millions of photos being taken and a good majority of them are automatically geotagged.

DSLRs are the odd man out.
05-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #754
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Photo gps tagging is the equivalent of the date. Anyone who takes a large number of photos faces the difficulty of sorting through them all. Any data point available is useful, and I can confidently predict that after a period of time using the K3II or any other GPS capable body it becomes an expected feature in any future purchase. I wish all the wildlife photos I took were geotagged, it would take an enormous amount of time to do it.
The fact that today there are millions of photos being taken and a good majority of them are automatically geotagged.

DSLRs are the odd man out.

oh.

I'm not sure that qualifies as anything beyond conjecture. One could also similarly confidently predict after having electric butt warmers/sunroof/10 cup holders in their automobile that it becomes an expected feature in any future purchased vehicle. However, that is not based in any sound fact. It's claiming a definitive generality based on incomplete evidence.

05-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #755
Pentaxian

btw I'm not attempting to be rude or attack you.. However, I have observed many people respond in the same manner as your post and it either seems very clearly they are basing market shift, rumors, and/or telling society what society wants based on personal preference or they directly admit it outright. If this is not the case in your situation, please accept my apology and I'd be interested in knowing your documented research!
A few questions get asked about photos. What is it? When was it? Where was it. More experience photographers wonder about how.

Almost every answer is either in the exif or can be.

Having time stamped on the film was a great. Having exif with shutter speed and aperture elicits quiet nodding of the head from film photographers who remember having to keep notes. Location is another obvious one, either you remember or take notes. I use that function on my phone, it is there, and has proved useful.

I think it is a no brainer. Most photo editing or managing software either reads or allows tagging.

---------- Post added 05-23-15 at 03:57 PM ----------

I don't know what you are looking for. All I know is that Ricoh figured they could get a bit more life out of the K3 by adding a few things including built in GPS.

So what is your opinion? That GPS tagging is worthless and eventually will die off, and Google will remove location display from their G+ photo app?
05-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #756
Veteran Member

A few questions get asked about photos. What is it? When was it? Where was it. More experience photographers wonder about how.

Almost every answer is either in the exif or can be.

Having time stamped on the film was a great. Having exif with shutter speed and aperture elicits quiet nodding of the head from film photographers who remember having to keep notes. Location is another obvious one, either you remember or take notes. I use that function on my phone, it is there, and has proved useful.

I think it is a no brainer. Most photo editing or managing software either reads or allows tagging.

---------- Post added 05-23-15 at 03:57 PM ----------

I don't know what you are looking for. All I know is that Ricoh figured they could get a bit more life out of the K3 by adding a few things including built in GPS.

So what is your opinion? That GPS tagging is worthless and eventually will die off, and Google will remove location display from their G+ photo app?
It is not worthless, it can be usefull. The most conveniant is if the camera does it himself, for sure. A bit less conveniant is to ask your phone or gps watch or whatever to do it and then let lightroom add the gps logs to all your photos.

If you forget to remove it when publishing, it also one more information you might give away without thinking of it and that help google, facebook and other to better track you, your habits and sell ads with it. That's another bit of information that help stealling your identity too. If you are a photographer, that may helps get yours photos found either to steal them or buy them.

In the end this is just a piece of technology that is as it heart no more related to making pictures than the sheet of paper of the pen one use to take notes of its photography work. But sure this can be very conveniant depending of your practice.
05-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #757
mee
Veteran Member

That is my point.. that our opinions are useless in this situation. That is, Opinion is useless when looking at what features are useful for the person standing next to you. Look at the entrenched debate over the popup flash. There was value, for some, in keeping it and value, for others, in replacing it with the GPS feature. There was never an, across the board, consensus that one was the better option. Your mileage may vary!

05-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #758
Pentaxian

That is my point.. that our opinions are useless in this situation. That is, Opinion is useless when looking at what features are useful for the person standing next to you. Look at the entrenched debate over the popup flash. There was value, for some, in keeping it and value, for others, in replacing it with the GPS feature. There was never an, across the board, consensus that one was the better option. Your mileage may vary!
Sure. So Ricoh has an opinion. Apple has an opinion as well, producing far more cameras than anyone else. So does Google. So does Adobe. Even the open source software that I use has an opinion having spent quite a bit of time and resources developing a geotagging solution. So does Nikon who put it into the d7200.

My opinion? I have 2 K3 bodies that have a fair bit of life left in them and the geotagging won't move me to buy the K3ii. If the AF is substantially improved, and the high def photo mode proves to be very compelling, then maybe. But when I'm in the market next year or later geotagging will be one feature I would look for. I don't think it will be hard to satisfy, I stand by my prediction that it will be ubiquitous.
05-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #759
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You have some proof of this or are you just making up facts to support your agenda?
There are games for babies you know where the baby is supposed to put the big shape into the big hole and the small shape into the small hole. Can be more complex with shape of different kind (star, square, triangle...).

If you want to give it a try, here a picture of GPS antenna from an iphone: Wholesale Spare Parts iPhone 5 GPS Antenna Flex Cable Original

Then try to play the game with the antenna and a K3... or a compact camera or GPS watch or smarphone... as many have a indeed one GPS antenna bundled.

I'd say it fit a gps watch that has also a screen, some power source, button and processor, it could bit a K3 body but for sure no one could ever draw such drastic conclusion without asking Ricoh... or a baby...
05-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
but for sure no one could ever draw such drastic conclusion without asking Ricoh
And now we agree.
05-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #761
Pentaxian

A GPS device could have been put in the body keeping the OBF, while the whole astrotracer need more place and it took the place of the OBF.
What makes you think that?

The astrotracer functionality is realised by software, making use of the existing SR mechanism, GPS reception, and an electronic compass. So if you already have GPS on board you only need a compass as additional hardware. There are very small GPS modules with built-in compass functionality so I'm convinced that the astrotracer functionality adds no space requirements.

Pentax may have decided to do away with the on-board flash anyhow, without adding anything in return.

Many flagship models from Canikon and Sony don't have an on-board flash either. It is not needed for serious use. The Pentax on-board flash cannot even be used as an HSS-controller! So its only justification is as a built-in controller for non-HSS flash photography. But when you use more than one off-camera flash, P-TTL gives you next to no control over lighting ratios. In the latter case using a trigger like the Cactus V6 with manual remote power control is hence a much superior solution (ratio-control, no line-of-sight required, direct control over all flashes with a dedicated user interface).
05-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #762
mee
Veteran Member

Sure. So Ricoh has an opinion. Apple has an opinion as well, producing far more cameras than anyone else. So does Google. So does Adobe. Even the open source software that I use has an opinion having spent quite a bit of time and resources developing a geotagging solution. So does Nikon who put it into the d7200.

My opinion? I have 2 K3 bodies that have a fair bit of life left in them and the geotagging won't move me to buy the K3ii. If the AF is substantially improved, and the high def photo mode proves to be very compelling, then maybe. But when I'm in the market next year or later geotagging will be one feature I would look for. I don't think it will be hard to satisfy, I stand by my prediction that it will be ubiquitous.
Ok.

This is not what you said though in your initial post... you stated once someone uses a GPS enabled camera body, they (all camera users) will from then on expect this feature. Essentially, once you try it, you won't settle for 'less'.

You spoke on behalf of all camera users when you stated this. How can you respond for such a varied body of personalities?

Manufacturers add numerous features to their products in an obvious desire to appeal to the most people who could potentially purchase their products. This doesn't mean all users are going to appreciate all features included... even features ubiquitous to a class of product.
05-23-2015, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #763
Pentaxian

There are games for babies you know where the baby is supposed to put the big shape into the big hole and the small shape into the small hole. Can be more complex with shape of different kind (star, square, triangle...).

If you want to give it a try, here a picture of GPS antenna from an iphone: Wholesale Spare Parts iPhone 5 GPS Antenna Flex Cable Original

Then try to play the game with the antenna and a K3... or a compact camera or GPS watch or smarphone... as many have a indeed one GPS antenna bundled.

I'd say it fit a gps watch that has also a screen, some power source, button and processor, it could bit a K3 body but for sure no one could ever draw such drastic conclusion without asking Ricoh... or a baby...
Wow, that's the beauty of real internetexpertships: you don't have to prove anything. When it comes with such an arrogant undertone, that's even better.
05-23-2015, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #764
Pentaxian

Manufacturers add numerous features to their products in an obvious desire to appeal to the most people who could potentially purchase their products. This doesn't mean all users are going to appreciate all features included... even features ubiquitous to a class of product.
That's true! But derrekkite thinks GPS is a great feature, one that many people will really appreciate after they get a chance to use it. Me too! That's a prediction, a guess, and we're discussing it here in this discussion forum.

I don't see how that equates to "speaking on behalf of all camera users." You're perfectly free to not like it.
05-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #765
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
That's true! But derrekkite thinks GPS is a great feature, one that many people will really appreciate after they get a chance to use it. Me too! That's a prediction, a guess, and we're discussing it here in this discussion forum.

I don't see how that equates to "speaking on behalf of all camera users." You're perfectly free to not like it.
I agree, it could be a very beneficial feature in some situations. But this doesn't mean all people are going to enjoy this.. the issue is far beyond camera features.

However, in staying on topic, I'm still not sure how you don't see 'I can confidently predict that after a period of time using the K3II or any other GPS capable body it becomes an expected feature in any future purchase' equates to speaking on behalf of all camera users.