Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 227 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #811
Pentaxian

Humm... K-3 body doesn't allow any spare space to include O-GPS1 electronics in my opinion, therefore squizing the pop-up flash was the only way to make it through.
And they even very probably went through signifiant miniaturisation to get that.

05-30-2015, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #812
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I thought you were getting the Samsung NX-1?
Still very much looking at picking up one in the not too distant future for the video but the its lacking some pretty critical features for stills from what i hear. The flash system isnt up there with what im used to working with on the nikon side of things. The 4k looks fantastic and its almost worth it for that but i really would prefer to have a much better all around package for stills and video even if not 4k. I think it's remarkable what a good package the NX1 is for basically samsung's first step into the game, but sony still has more experience. The more i read about the a9 the more intrigued i am. There are talks of a 46 megapixel sensor that can canpture rgb independently. Im starting to think that offering that higher resolution (if you need it) is more important than high iso. The wedding photog i assisted awhile back rarely went above iso 500 and outside i sometimes still have to worry about overexposed shots with a max shutter speed of 1/4000th sec on my d600. The only time when high iso actually proved to be invaluable was when i was shooting from a train and i needed iso 3200 to freeze the motion outside. Ever since i got my speedlight I have been using high iso less and less. I think this is something people notice as they move from just messing around with their camera (that i did alot of in college) to actually working with clients.

For video though its hard to argue with (its basically a smaller version of the red's 6.5k sensor) and i think i can say that it actually beats my d600 for low light video
05-31-2015, 02:56 AM - 7 Likes   #813
Veteran Member

A picture taken with K-3 II and DA35mm f2.4 (this image is cropped about 45%, but the details are just amazing).

---------- Post added 05-31-15 at 09:58 AM ----------

Pentax K-3 II, DA 35mm f2.4 (resized at 2048mpx).

---------- Post added 05-31-15 at 10:01 AM ----------

Pentax K-3 II, DA 35mm f2.4 (this is a 60% crop). Click on the picture and look at the details. Amazing camera.

05-31-2015, 03:19 AM   #814
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Still very much looking at picking up one in the not too distant future for the video but the its lacking some pretty critical features for stills from what i hear. The flash system isnt up there with what im used to working with on the nikon side of things. The 4k looks fantastic and its almost worth it for that but i really would prefer to have a much better all around package for stills and video even if not 4k. I think it's remarkable what a good package the NX1 is for basically samsung's first step into the game, but sony still has more experience. The more i read about the a9 the more intrigued i am. There are talks of a 46 megapixel sensor that can canpture rgb independently. Im starting to think that offering that higher resolution (if you need it) is more important than high iso. The wedding photog i assisted awhile back rarely went above iso 500 and outside i sometimes still have to worry about overexposed shots with a max shutter speed of 1/4000th sec on my d600. The only time when high iso actually proved to be invaluable was when i was shooting from a train and i needed iso 3200 to freeze the motion outside. Ever since i got my speedlight I have been using high iso less and less. I think this is something people notice as they move from just messing around with their camera (that i did alot of in college) to actually working with clients.

For video though its hard to argue with (its basically a smaller version of the red's 6.5k sensor) and i think i can say that it actually beats my d600 for low light video
I'd say as your work more for clients (or simply shoot more photos), you'll see that you don't need that much high iso, but that you don't see neither that much high resolution or that you don't need that many advenced features neither but something that has great ergonomics and don't go in the way.

For your sensor it should have a large sensor for shallow deph of field and quality. m4/3 or above is enough. Any resolution should do it really. It is difficult to find a camera with somewhat large sensor with less than 16MP anyway nowadays as it is difficult to find a camera that has bad high iso performance.
For your camera it should have good ergonomics and grip at well as a good echosystem
For your lenses you would need at least a few with a wide apperture and to cover a reasonable focal range. f/2.8 or even f/4 is enough for FF or teles, f/2 or f/2.8 can help otherwise.
For your flashes anything that support manual triggering and act as master/slave is good enough.

What count is good technique taking the photo, the photographer eye and your social skill much more than the gear.

What quality is here on the average APSC today or even m4/3 is better than what you got out of the best FF a few years ago, and better on most aspect than MF on film. We don't need better cameras, but we like to buy them anyway . That's also why the digital area add lot of sales when there really was difference when buying a new camera and also the huge practical benefit of digital vs film... Now sale go down as there not as much insentives as before to upgrade.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 05-31-2015 at 03:35 AM.
06-01-2015, 02:06 AM   #815
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
A picture taken with K-3 II and DA35mm f2.4 (this image is cropped about 45%, but the details are just amazing).

---------- Post added 05-31-15 at 09:58 AM ----------

Pentax K-3 II, DA 35mm f2.4 (resized at 2048mpx).

---------- Post added 05-31-15 at 10:01 AM ----------

Pentax K-3 II, DA 35mm f2.4 (this is a 60% crop). Click on the picture and look at the details. Amazing camera.
Nice pictures. And you're right, the details are amazing.
06-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #816
Veteran Member

What can I say about 460 shots taken with K-3 II? Well, for starters I'm disappointed with the D-LI90 battery. It lasted only for 398 shots.

At high ISO I think it's about equal with K-5 II, maybe K-3 II is a little better. The 24Mp sensor from K-3 II is quite picky when the light is bad (let's say a restaurant with mixt lights). K-5 II was more forgiving in this regard.

For the moment I think is to early for me to have a strong opinion regarding K-3 II. All I can say is that K-3 II is a challenging camera, especially because of the 24mp's sensor...
06-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #817
Veteran Member

What can I say about 460 shots taken with K-3 II? Well, for starters I'm disappointed with the D-LI90 battery. It lasted only for 398 shots.

At high ISO I think it's about equal with K-5 II, maybe K-3 II is a little better. The 24Mp sensor from K-3 II is quite picky when the light is bad (let's say a restaurant with mixt lights). K-5 II was more forgiving in this regard.

For the moment I think is to early for me to have a strong opinion regarding K-3 II. All I can say is that K-3 II is a challenging camera, especially because of the 24mp's sensor...
Was the GPS enabled and did you use a fully charged genuine Pentax baterie?

06-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #818
Veteran Member

GPS was off, and I used a full charged genuine Pentax baterie (the one that came with the body). But I will see after the second charge how many shots I will take.
06-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #819

I found 24 MP, especially without an AA filter, (let alone with pixel-shift!) to be extremely demanding as well. I first experienced it with the Nikon D7100 and Nikon D5300 that I reviewed, and it required me to completely step up my standards both WRT shooting technique, and lens selection, even optimal aperture.

Having said that, when done right, a lens like the Rokinon 16mm f/2 can produce eye-popping results. I literally stopped applying sharpening to my images almost completely, yet the prints look even more detailed, and print larger...

With my personal travel camera, the Nikon D5300, battery life was always a drawback. But that was because the battery was a tiny little one, due to the compact beginner nature of the camera. I only owned it because it was a great camera for backpacking adventures.

398 shots with the K-3II is indeed disappointing, considering the body is a larger more professional size. It seems that all batteries are suffering from decreased power these days, due to some sort of new regulations, but I do know that I can get 1300+ shots on a full-frame Nikon D750.

I'm trying to read back through the posts here, but not finding an answer, regarding whether your 398 number is from using Pixel-Shift, or something else, (long exposures?) ...or just regular shooting?
06-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #820
Veteran Member

400 shots seems very low for a K-3.
Lots of chimping? Lots of LiveView? Some video? HSM lenses?

I made over 1200 shots each day for two days this weekend with my K-3. And I put in a new battery each day just out of prudence, not because the old battery was exhausted.
06-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #821
Veteran Member

Well, I took only 4 shots with pixel shift resolution activated, and about 20 shots (night landscape in a park, with shutter speed set at 4 or 6 seconds, from tripod). The rest of the shots was taken in daylight. Even if the battery will last for 500 shots, it's still disappointing. With my K-5 II, I maid at least 850 shots with a full battery charged.
06-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #822
Pentaxian

That sounds really low, are there any automatic corrections activated?
06-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #823
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your battery life will increase over the first half dozen or so empty & recharge cycles. Make sure you do run the battery down almost all the way, then recharge to full after each cycle. Once the break-in cycles have been completed you will see a significant increase in shots available.
06-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #824
Veteran Member

No Gimbal, there are all set to off.
- Highlights/shaddow corection are set to off
- Digital filter set to off
- HDR - off
- Periphelar Illumination correction - off
- Slow shutter speed noise reduction - off
- Distortion correction - off

Let's hope so, Canada_Rockies.
06-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #825
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-3 has a bit more processing and writing to do than the K5, because of the bigger files. It has the same battery, so fewer shots.